It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bed rails linked to injuries, deaths at nursing homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Bed rails are supposed to protect nursing-home patients from a fall, but a CBC I-Team investigation has turned up dozens of incidents involving bed rails at Winnipeg homes — most resulting in injury, but some linked to deaths.

In examining four years of records from Winnipeg nursing homes as part of its Questionable Care investigation, the I-Team found more than 200 incidents involving bed rails.

Three deaths were linked to their use, including the death of Nina Logan's mother's, Eileen Stratton, in 2004. Stratton, 84, suffocated after becoming trapped between her mattress and a bed rail at Golden West Centennial Lodge.

cbc news

OMG I never heard of this before! Could you imagine being trapped and unable to scream out for help?

Note to mods: I hope I posted on the right board. If not I am sorry!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BindareDundat

It's not the bed rails that injure/kill the elderly. It's their weak, unable to care for themselves, state of being that kills them. That's like saying someone choked to death on a piece of steak and saying the steak killed them. it's just another example of survival of the fittest clashing with America's desire to keep the living dead alive beyond their years.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This is not a new thing. Deaths have occured all over the world with cot rails.

The trouble is, they (rails) are raised if the patient/client is deemed to be at risk of falling out of bed, so you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.

new topics

join