It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's over london?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I think there are some Londoners that post on here...
did anyone see this?

latest MUFON reports

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
They all look like long exposed shots to me

Are these your photos?

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
No. Unfortunately I didn't take these... I was checking out the MUFON site and noticed. Was wondering if anyone in London saw these because I haven't heard anything. seems like something that a large number of people would've been witness to if real...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
well I work in piccadilly circus, it doesn't get much more central. I haven't seen jack today but i'll continue to keep my eyes peeled.... how very exciting! I'll goto the park tonight, when it gets dark, and just stare at the sky! plan! I'm a bit fearful after spending the day reading about skinwalkers! argh!!! i just said the word (whisper) skinwalker!!!! arghhh...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Agreed...long exposure and a plane flew by....the string of lights are just the blinking lights on a plane.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Those are long exposures of planes or helicopters.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
oh for ducks sake are MUFON serious? jeez, i've just taken a look at the photos, has no one at MUFON ever taken a long exposure shot of a bog standard PLANE?!?!? it looks exactly the same as these shots...grrr....there was i getting excited about ufo's floating over my head tonight....grrrr

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Yup, look like over-exposed shots. I'm always looking at the night sky here in London (Near Walthamstow), and never have been able to spot a "UFO" or anything remotely resembling one, but there's always plenty of planes going about their business.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by JasonT]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
are you based in London? I have seen some weird stuff round here... look harder!!! haha nah, it's the luck of the draw isn't it...isn't it?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreensGoblin

Mufon is just a place where these reports come in. They don't post the ones they think are credible. You have to filter through a lot of BS before you find one good report. But you can find a hidden gem sometimes as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
Mufon is just a place where these reports come in. They don't post the ones they think are credible.

Really? What happens to the credible ones? I visit the Mufon website daily. Do they hold back the more credible reports so they can investigate them quietly before the public gets hold of them? Or do you think Mufon is a disinfo group?

Love to hear from people who have seen UFO's across the pond.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

It should have read "they don't just post the ones they think are credible"

They take the reports that sound real and investigate them further. There was a show on the Discovery channel last night with Mufon investigators cheking out a sighting with multiple witnesses and a possible abduction. I would love to be able to do that job as a paying gig.

Sorry to mislead you.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Im a londoner and have not seen a thing, Been looking though lol As there seems to have been quite a few reports latley of people seeing stuff in the sky, a few cases where the chinese lanterns but a few including a police man (Who called it in to the poice station) have witnessed UFOs. Not saying its the Alien kind but an unidentified something,

Interesting stuff, But sadly seen nothing myself.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well personally, I have seen 3 odd things in the skies above London. I live SW, I have seen:

Petersham - a hovering/slowly moving object that looked like a golf ball.

Kingston/Richmond - A cluster of white orbs mid afternoon two summers back, really odd because I was literally talking to a skeptic about orbs and we looked up at the clouds to see about 4 moving slowly (we thought they were balloons from a local school fete but...), we later saw a load of balloons that day that had been let off, they moved VERY differently.

New Malden (Worcester Park) - The weirdest $h|% i've EVER SEEN, 5 red lights which shot across the sky almost parallel with each other, they moved like birds but VERY VERY quickly, it was the only true unexplainable thing UFO I've seen and it really wowed me!

I really like to go chilling in Richmond Park during the winter because you can see quite far and it is also very fun and creepy going out in the dark forests! If anyone in the area knows any of the places I'm talking about, then we gotta link up and chat about ATS etc... Here's a Hoping

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreensGoblin
New Malden (Worcester Park) - The weirdest $h|% i've EVER SEEN, 5 red lights which shot across the sky almost parallel with each other, they moved like birds but VERY VERY quickly, it was the only true unexplainable thing UFO I've seen and it really wowed me!

Slightly fanning out perhaps? (ie - if you traced their paths backwards, would they come to a common point?) Sounds like it could be a mini-meteor outburst...

More info please!

What was the date and time you saw this?
Could you approximate the start and end positions of at least one object, ie height above horizon in degrees, and what direction in degrees (0=north, 180=south, and so on...)?
Did the brightness of the objects change at all?
How long did you see them for?
Did they appear/disappear at the same time?
Was there a "formation" of some kind?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
What was the date and time you saw this?

Not sure of the exact date, a saturday, 9pm, Early August/Late July '08

Could you approximate the start and end positions of at least one object, ie height above horizon in degrees, and what direction in degrees (0=north, 180=south, and so on...)?

We first saw it at about 160 degrees, we were looking straight up and it came from the horizon over our heads. they went from pretty much over our heads and then off into the horizon gradually fading away but they didn't just vanish, they disappeared in the same fashion a plane does, getting smaller and smaller as they get closer to the horizon.

Did the brightness of the objects change at all?

good question, the lights were very bright red/orange, they moved so fast my friend who saw them first as they went over his head saw them as lines rather than dots, I had a better view because I wasn't look directly up, I saw them as bright red dots that didn't change in brightness/colour at all.

How long did you see them for?

We must have seen them from one end of the horizon to the other in a speed between a plane and a meteor/comet. moving fast, maybe 10 seconds from south to north, maybe slightly longer.

Did they appear/disappear at the same time?

We never saw them 'appear' they went over our heads but when they disappeared they faded out quite slowly as if fading into the distance rather than suddenly vanishing, yes they disappeared at roughly the same time but they didn't vanish like comets/meteors do.

Was there a "formation" of some kind?

I'd say there was a formation, I remember there being approx. 5 lights, all were moving in a parallel the WHOLE time, they wobbled a bit but the weird part was 2 on the left carried on straight, the end 3 on the right seemed to move around a bit with each other, the 3 moved JUST like birds do when they are in formation, swapping positions quite quickly in a kind of dance is the best description.

In terms of the size, they weren't as bright as plane lights but they seemed to be warm all over, like one solid colour to them. They were much bigger lights than stars or comets. I remember saying that they were an intermediate between plane lights and comets/stars/satellites in size.

I hope that helps. I can probably tell you more but it's better if you ask me more questions. Cheers c.h.u.d.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Thanks for the info TheGreensGoblin,

Allot of what you described makes me think what you saw was a mini Perseid outburst.

The timing is right (could it have been around August 12th?), the direction seems nearly right (assuming a little room for error), and the behavior seems right, except for the fact that meteors can only travel in a straight line. Meteors can easily fool the eye, but it seems unlikely that they would appear to change positions or "dance" around.

So, a few minor discrepancies, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that they were meteors. It's typical behavior for what we call "earth grazers" (shooting up from the horizon and flying over head for a much longer distance than ordinary meteors), and Perseid grazers can only be seen around 9PM in the days around August 12th. If they were indeed meteors, what you saw would be considered a quite rare occurrence - to see more than one or two at the same time is more or less unheard of, so count yourself lucky to see what you did!

The only thing I can suggest, if you want to confirm or eliminate them in your own mind as a possibility, is to try and see a few more earth grazers to compare them too. Next year, there will be two opportunities to try and catch a few - the Perseids (Aug 12th peak) and the Leonids (Nov 17th) which have very similar characteristics to Perseids.

Grazers are rare, so you may have to try observing a few times before you see any, however, the conditions next year for the Leonids make it a very favorable year for seeing them. Keep any eye on the Space Exploration forum here for more info on both showers closer to the time.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
cheers c.h.u.d., my birthday is on the 11th August so I will be enjoying my birthday staring at the skies looking for the perseids. It's good to know that what I saw might be identifiable and I can't wait to see more 'grazers'. I shall keep a keen eye to the space sections of the site to stay updated.

I'm really glad I saw something rare because it was a truly amazing spectacle, although I'm sure that they did 'dance', as you said, staring at stars etc. often plays tricks on the eyes and this could easily have been the case.

will I still be able to catch a glimpse of the leonids tonight?

Thanks for all you have done C.H.U.D.

TGG

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

No worries TGG,

It's getting a bit late now for Leonids... the drop off in rates after peak tends to be quicker than the buildup. Having said that, there are still going to be at least a few about, but I think you'll be very lucky to see any Leonid grazers at this time - even during peaks they are not all that common.

If you go out a bit later, when Leo is high in the sky, and the meteors are no longer grazing (they will appear to be much shorter), you're more likely to see some - be prepared to spend an hour or two depending on your observing conditions, if you want to see a handful. The later you go looking, the better - just before dawn is when Leonids are most active.

If you haven't already, check out the Leonids 2008 thread for more tips/info.

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and feel free to U2U me (or post on one of the threads) if you have any questions.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
thanks c.h.u.d. your help has been brilliant and it was very satisfying to get some kind of answer from a knowledgeable source.

I look at your Leonid thread and it looks like i've missed the boat on that one but i will keep my eye on the space exploration pages.

thanks again,

TGG

top topics

<<   2 >>

join