It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Flash: Candidates' Ads Actually Match Deeds In Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

News Flash: Candidates' Ads Actually Match Deeds In Congress

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Oct. 28, 2008) — If you think candidates never keep their promises and will say anything to get elected, you’re certainly not alone. And you’re not right, either.

The perception is largely untrue, says Tracy Sulkin, a University of Illinois political scientist, who has conducted an extensive study, apparently the first of its kind, comparing the campaign ads and legislative records of recent congressional officeholders.

Candidates’ words generally match their deeds, according to Sulkin. The issues candidates say are priorities in their commercials are likely ones they care about and will take action on through the introduction and co-sponsoring of legislation, she said.

Whether they are vague or specific on an issue doesn’t matter, Sulkin found. “There turn out to be no differences in subsequent activity among people who just say they care about an issue and people who lay out a specific plan. … Specificity, which we seem overly concerned about, isn’t actually a signal that you care more about the issue,” she said. Instead, what drives candidates to be more specific on issues is the closeness of the race.

When a candidate attacks an opponent on a given issue, however, it does not mean the attacking candidate cares about that issue or will act on it, Sulkin’s research shows. “Negative appeals, appeals that attack the opponent, don’t have much signaling power about what that candidate is going to do,” she said.

In another striking conclusion, Sulkin said that being in a “safe” seat, apparently free from challenge by a candidate from the other party, does not seem to produce unresponsive legislators who feel free to do whatever they want.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well who'd thought?

Could it possibly be... that politicians are more honest than we thought?

NAH!!!

The just don't lie as much as we thought. But they will still blow smoke up our collective asses whenever they get the chance.

Its not their words that bother me, its what they don't talk about. For example down here we have a Rep. Bob Goodlette, (R) by all accounts a decent man who has done quite a lot of good things for the area... that does not bother me... its his votes on national issues and the like that make me cringe so every election cycle I am torn between voting for this man based on what he does for us vs. the greater picture.

I am glad to read this study but again its what they don't talk about that bothers me.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I like this. I, myself figured politicians never made good on most of their promises. Good find. Starred and flagged.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Politcians, once elected, and only accomplish what their fellow politcians will go along with. The Presidnet is powerless if he cannot get Lesgistaure to pass bills which he promotes to congress. If congress passes a bill, president can veto it. Then it can only become law if the congress can override the veto. Then the Supreme Court may becalled upon to review the law and decide that it is unconstitutional. (short explantion for a complicate process.)
At this point, I fear for the republic.

top topics

join