It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For us Christians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
How do you overcome wordliness? I grew up wordly and have a hard time getting away from it, rock music, TV which isn't too bad, but does God want us to completely get away from everything or does he just want us to not agree with the world?

Please I need some answers because I want to give my life to God real bad and still have some worldiness in my soul left.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
God wants us all to do what we're supposed to do, WHERE we're supposed to do it.
He didn't mean for us to live ALL the time separate from people, in a cave.
Even Jesus went to get away from people and pray and spend time alone with God, But, not ALL the time.
I used to work at a factory and other places and the music could've been rock or country.
If it was something that made me feel like the old days, I would use .phones like others would.
The world tries to shut you away from God, but, if you keep your mind on him, it CAN'T!
That's why it's good to get away and focus.
It's sad how few preaching channels we can get, without static.
Do you have BibleBroadcastingNetwork, there?
They have 50% music and 50% BIBLICAL preaching.
"Unshackled" comes on at about 3:00 in the morning, it's so good!
Here's some listings for their stations;
DELAWARE, Lewes Satellator 91.7 FM
MAINE Harpswell/Portland WYFP 91.9 FM
MINNESOTA Coldwater WCWB 90.1 FM
NY Cortland WYBY 920 AM
NY Jamestown Satellator 88.9 FM
NY Rome WYFY 1450 AM
PA Johnstown Satellator 91.7 FM
PA Masontown WYFU 88.5 FM
NY Schroon Lake Satellator 90.7 FM

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Surely the acceptance of "Worldliness" doesn't preclude the rebuttal of values, spiritual or secular. The material aspects of the world are but an illustration of the technological evolution of man's ingenuity, however, those material gains do not vouch for a particular "value system".

God is not to be found in technology but in the actions of man in utilising that technology. Worldliness need not be rejected, in fact, it may be said that it is necessary, for without those willing to stand up and fight for the values of human kinship then we are all doomed to decay of society and civil destruction.

The besieged mentality of rejection of the World is an affront to *any* God, for it renders the lethargy of mankind that allows abuse and misuse of the technology enabled by the gift of ingenuity, providing a platform for those that would espouse a message of greed and corruption.

Worldliness is simply and appraisal of one's own place in the great work, the battle field of values will be lost to chaos and domination if Worldliness is rejected.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
We are here to embrace life, to enjoy it.
Ya gotta be worldly enough to recognize its problems, and wise enough not to get caught up in it.

One of the problems with life to day is simply the idea that everything is OK.
No, everything is not OK and it is good that you recognize it.

With TV, I find very little worth watching (little family values and brain shrinking entertainment) - The History channel is worth watching as are Discovery and the like (Ya, it can seem a bit boring but that depends upon your age group, and your interests - it gets a lot less boring as you get older) - Also some of the experts on the shows are not qualified to be on TV - (saw one guy say that the Arc of the Covenant was a drum in Africa - What BS). Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to turn it on 24/7 there are other means of entertainment - like reading, and lots of stuff available to read.

With Music - I like what I like, If it doesn't meet with the approval of others - too bad - I ain't looking for approval. (Perl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.) - And anybody with time to spin a record backwards has way too much time on their hands.

It is about the recognition of Good and evil, (Maybe if Adam and Eve ate from the tree of Life they would have been wise enough not to eat from the tree of Knowledge).

Basic Rules for life:

Keep the Commandments (at least the top 10)
You must love everyone, but you don't have to like them.
Don't do anything you wouldn't want your Grandmother to read about on the front page.
Look for beauty where ever you are - its there if you look close enough.
Beware of hypocrites.
Keep your Faith
Trust a thief to steal and a snake to bite it is his nature to do so.
Quality can be low or high
Beware of people who always agree with you.
Invest 10% of your income every month in a stock that pays monthly dividends.

It is OK to be at odds with the world - (Didn't say it was easy) - remember the majority are usually wrong about just about everything. (If they were right the world would be paradise)
Whatever you do in life, be the best you know at it, and strive to be better.

You don't have to walk around with your hands folded all the time -
Even Jesus got angry a few times...

Its ok to be human, its ok to mess up - but learn and make every effort not to make the same errors over and over - (thats what repenting is - God will forgive earnest errors, just don't think ya can fool him)

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You know what i think its funny christian say dont watch TV, no devils music, cant even read a fantasy book.

Heres by problem with all the worldness thing your talking about. What happens when you lock a kid in a box (worldness thing) eventually they come out and they find out all these things. And then thing are ten times as worse.

TV does have bad things but if you ask me, its has great things to just as the Internet you can learn so much things in life. through the TV yes some bad and others are good. But isn't that life? Knowing what bad and good is???? Isn't that what God wanted??? Now I wouldn't listen to actual devil music but I do listen to rap, rock, R&b and such, that yes what some of these things say are not all that good. But it helps me feel good. And it helps me to relate to my people which are young or getot. I think to save a young person you have to have someone who grow up like them. Would you rather grow up knowing the world your in, or in a box and be stupid for the rest of your life????

I think that you just need to be more in the spirit. Always as much as possible stay in the spirit. Remember God as he remembers you. Remember God has a path for all do not worry so much. What God wants you to learn let him use all devices he can to show you what he wants you to learn bad or good. God speaks in many ways and uses all ways possible to speak. Try not to limit yourself. I think in all things you learn, ask God and stay in spirit!

I know if that if I grow up in a box, I would know what I know today. God's truth! If you are outside the box and you are world smart then their is so much God can show you. Just remember try not to let the world knowledge get you to sin. Let God take you out of the Box and show you life and truth!! God bless and god with his spirit

[edit on 28-10-2008 by slymattb]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
God wants us all to do what we're supposed to do, WHERE we're supposed to do it.
He didn't mean for us to live ALL the time separate from people, in a cave.
Even Jesus went to get away from people and pray and spend time alone with God, But, not ALL the time.
I used to work at a factory and other places and the music could've been rock or country.
If it was something that made me feel like the old days, I would use .phones like others would.
The world tries to shut you away from God, but, if you keep your mind on him, it CAN'T!
That's why it's good to get away and focus.
It's sad how few preaching channels we can get, without static / (Clearskies.)

I agree with this, btw all the replies I have to answer and were interesting. I'm testing to see where people stand on this issue, and I'm still learning and can learn things even from kids.

CS, I agree with this and know you can keep that peace in any invironment. many saints though did actually go to caves to become hermits so they could practice complete silence, it was there will to do it and God backed them. Iv'e always loved how the amish lived because it's back before idolism was invented, but it's hard for me to be that way.

(Dancer)

With TV, I find very little worth watching (little family values and brain shrinking entertainment) - The History channel is worth watching as are Discovery and the like (Ya, it can seem a bit boring but that depends upon your age group, and your interests - it gets a lot less boring as you get older) - Also some of the experts on the shows are not qualified to be on TV - (saw one guy say that the Arc of the Covenant was a drum in Africa - What BS). Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to turn it on 24/7 there are other means of entertainment - like reading, and lots of stuff available to read.

I agree. Information is not boring to me. Now idiots acting like goofballs on shows that are too shallow, that to me gets boring after the first five minutes. I love information but the history channel as of late puts alot of mis info on it, but I still like it. It's used for good and bad.

(Dancer)
You don't have to walk around with your hands folded all the time -
Even Jesus got angry a few times...

this is very interesting yet I disagree. Saints and angels walk around with their hands folded because they reached a severe holy state on Earth. it's good posture. Take when you sit for example. You can tell alot about a soul how they sit. If someones sits in the lazy position is not a good sign IMO of modesty. but someone who sits with hands clapsed is a good sign of holiness and humility.

Yea as you can tell I get mad as crap alot of times, that's my lack of graces, but all these imperfections can be beaten and I truly believe in that. A just anger is very good IMO.

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd

I don't know about Floyd, but Led zep were satanists and worshipped Crowley. But I listen to Breaking Benjamine so I have no clue what they believe.

(sugercube)

God is not to be found in technology but in the actions of man in utilising that technology. Worldliness need not be rejected, in fact, it may be said that it is necessary, for without those willing to stand up and fight for the values of human kinship then we are all doomed to decay of society and civil destruction.

The besieged mentality of rejection of the World is an affront to *any* God, for it renders the lethargy of mankind that allows abuse and misuse of the technology enabled by the gift of ingenuity, providing a platform for those that would espouse a message of greed and corruption.

I somewhat agree that it's not the technology itself but the man utilizing it, but some men created destructive technology on purpose and this is from human will so it comes from a destructive motive.

I love the amish because they can go without technology, they used natural means and ways around like horses, and they use the non comfortable way of getting things done, less lazy way. I like that part about them.

one prophecy said that when you see technology increase realize the time is at hand because Idol minds are devils workshops and create things to lead them from God.

so I agree that the technology itself cannot hram anyone itslef, but men can. Is it needed? Not to a very few, but to most it is.

Slymattb, I will answer yours later. Thanks for the insight guys.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
If your heart and mind are filled with Christ, then there's no room for things of the world.

If you're in school you have to study. You can't keep your mind on Christ and your studies (at least I couldn't). Christ is with us/in us wherever we go and whatever we do. We can always stop what we're doing for 2 seconds to turn back to practicing His presence. We may have to return to whatever we're doing but it doesn't mean we've abandoned our "godly" state to return to a worldly state.

When I'm in my car I listen to Christian radio stations. When I'm in someone else's car, I listen to whatever station they want to listen to. If the music is worldly it can often still be sung (or heard) as to the Lord. Love songs, for instance. If it's some of that dreadful disrespectful, abrasive music then I talk over it or just silently pray and look out the window. I don't watch television but I do rent movies occasionally. I am careful what I rent, though.

What is your definition of "worldly"? All things are lawful but not all things are edifying.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

or does he just want us to not agree with the world?

Develop a "Godly blindness".

Tit 3:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Please read the context of the above verse?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
What is your definition of "worldly"? All things are lawful but not all things are edifying.
(WHITEWAVE)

Well my definition of wordly is things that could lead you from God and cause idolism, wasting too much time, curruption ect...

Tit 3:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled Pretribguy

I agree but the bible also says, do not go nearthe fire or you shall burn. The cause of sin is just a s great as the sin itself, and putting ourself constantly near things that are wrong is not what God wants.

But if we have no coice,,,,,,,,,,,,,................. well

pray bigtime.

peace.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

hello there

Teh bible has the answer to everything. be a berean and check.

Psalm 101

1 I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.

2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

4 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.

5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

6 Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me.

7 He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.

8 I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD.

an oppertunity to spread the gospel will be presented to you by the Lord. This does not mean you are required to see it take root.

we are human, however, ANYTHING that takes our mind of the Lord should receive the utmost scrutiny, why has it take our minds off him and and what is the consequence?

Are we watching tv that shows murder? adultery etc? if so what would god think etc? ( i am guilty so i dont I think i am above this in any way)

what words do we hear on the radio or read in a book, newspaper etc. what our our friends lifetyles? if they do not turn to the Lord, they are an enemy of the Lord and we have no yoke with darkness.

a little giving in here and there takes us further away from God. how far away does anyone wish to be when Christ returns? He could come back tonight.

david

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
i am a Christian and we

got rid of our TV- as you say there is good and bad on there. we got rid because the temptation was too much to watch the bad. as Christ says pluck it out!

got rid of most of the music we had, why? the back ground and beliefs and thoughts of the musicians as well as the words.

to be honest i cant avoid temptation but i can limit my exposure to it. i wish i had the faith to do more

David

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
To be honest I think most of my temptation problems come from Sexual, sex and women type thing. I just find them so beautiful. They bodies and faces and the way they act. But I dont find the temptation in movies or music. Its more of I guess. I am working on it. But I could be doing better!!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
you being tempted is not of you, giving in is. Guard your thoughts and have a bible at all times. do not be afraid to get it out and read or pray.

not to make a show but on the spot help.

I understand fully what you are going through, but i say again the bible has the answers. There is a difference in finding a person beautiful, pretty from out and out sexual thoughts. once you noarrow down what is wrong you can concentrate more on it.

If you know it is sinful then take it to the Lord and others around you.

ask for prayer here on ATS

david

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Sylmatt, I understand 100%. Woman look good, beautfiul, some woman are built so appealing to the eyes, it's almost impossible to overcome them if you see them in magazines.

To overrcome our little selfishnesses in this age, is gonna make the greatest saints. This is the hardest age to live in today. People glorify in sin, make resturaunts for Goodness sakes out of it called hooters.

It's the most lustful age ever. Even halloween woman dress like sluts now. That mess didn't happen when I was little. It's because the possesion and lust is getting worse before antichrist and this has to to with the great confusion of the end times.

we are being prepared for antichrist, and the world will accept him once he arrives, he's gonna have a cake walk until God destroys him.

so let's pray for each other and truly try and overcome lust, because honostly, I still struggle with it myself.

peace.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Even Halloween woman dress like sluts now.

You know this is so dang true. Last Halloween in San Jose, CA in the city their are clubs. And I was taking the bus or the light rail back to Job Corps. And all I saw was fine women with different types of beauty dress in the most candelas of clothes I ever seen. Even though I had a girlfriend, and I would never have cheated. This made me want to be single and be free roaming if you know what I mean.

Women I swear can kill the hearts of men. And change a man quietly. God willing without a girl I might have just walk right into that club. But with one I would never be a cheater.

God willing maybe one day I wont be so lustful. I just think its hard when women put themselves out on display like that. God bless

[edit on 31-10-2008 by slymattb]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Even halloween woman dress like sluts now.

I know i might not be welcomed in this thread, for another one of my threads i made, but i had to point something out.

People at my school, are currently dressing up as a slutty version of Palin, we live in Canada, this woman doesn't matter much too us, these ladies are just looking for a reason to dress like that, Halloween is one holiday i disagree with, if people didn't dress so horribly, it might be different.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Very interesting replies. Seriously when I was a kid back in the early 90s, woman were decent in dress. It was a fun holliday. Now it's sluts on prade.

God said in the bible that near the end times, possesion and lust would get worse and worse and it has, look at the culture. That's all s*** is about now adays is lust.

what it does is it causes the soul to lose more graces and people start to think of nothing but sex and selfishness.

anyways I can't stand how the market of lust and how the costumes have changed over the years. This little ass girls who dress like this should save those type of outfits behind closed doors for their boyfriend, but now it's everywhere and is on display everywhere. It's truly sad, unless ofcourse your a pervert who just wallows in lust.

thanks for your replies. Let's pray that this world will change around for the better. Also slybmatt, you are a good man. Very honest. Nomatter how much temptation you get, just don't give in, because once you start to glorify in sin like 99% of men do, then I don't believe it's easy to turn back once you start to make a sport out of sin.

very rare people like you are.

peace.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Don't celebrate Halloween here...nor Christmas..nor birthdays. They are all my Lord's day. I have no instruction to glorify myself or anyone else by celebrating a birthday. All these days belong to my Lord Jesus the Christ for Remission of Sins.

We are in this world but not of this world. We are not to take on the appearance of this world. Nor are we to take on the "Traditions of men."

It took me a long time to understand this concept. For I too was greatly of this world and the things of this world.

I am not interested in the latest fashions, The latest car, the latest sports team, etc etc etc...ad nauseum.

For this stuff is regurgitated out to us in a never ending menu of "confusion." 24/7 if we are not aware of it or the technique.

As believers we are not to be tossed to and fro by every changing wind of doctrine. Once you know and understand this, you can see much of this world for the very way it tries to seduce us to yield unto this ever changing wind of doctrine..such that we will be wont to take on the "traditions of men...the ever changing winds of doctrine."

Anything and everything will come down the de evolutionary pipeline ...to get us off His Word. And by this I mean anything and everything..but His Word.
In His Word this kind of seduction away from Him is called Whoredom/Idolatry.

I like what Drevill posts about the Noble Bereans. Yes..check to see if these things be True according to His Word as did the Noble Bereans.

The object of all this bombardment of our senses and souls is to get us ..to tempt us ....off His Word and hence Him as our Anchor. To get us on anything and everything but Him.

Once you understand this and Believe it...the world begins to lose its artificial luster and appeal to you. It fades in importance as do the things of this world. You begin to look at the people around you and see how many are just stamped out like xerox copies of the world fingerprint.
What also stands out to us is how many are of His Fingerprint. For just like Ancient Israel of Olde...we have never been many and surrounded by Whoredom and Idolatry.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

just a suggestion...

stop trying to look at the things you should be distancing yourself from and start trying to look at the things you should be moving towards.

stop trying to break old habits by starting new ones

just my two cents

(still don't agree with you, but i thought it might be helpful to give you some advice on how to be better at what you're trying to be)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
MIMS thanks for the advice. Not only madness in your soul, but hints of wisdom too.

peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join