It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does wearing a hat make you go bald?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Anyone got any info or links? I have a receding hairline and wear various forms of headgear on the regular. :shk:

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
just genetic im 22 and going thin on top and never worn a hat lol

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
Anyone got any info or links? I have a receding hairline and wear various forms of headgear on the regular. :shk:

I think it contributes to it. I remember my hair was started falling once and I wore baseball caps daily. I went to my Doctor and he told me to STOP wearing hats all the time. So I think it does contribute.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hair loss myth: wearing a hat does NOT cause hairloss!! At least not in men, lol

" The following old wives tales are very commonly believed, but are at times very illogical and almost always wrong. A good rule of thumb - if it didn't make you bald when you were 15, it's probably not making you bald now.

Stress? Probably not, unless you've undergone extreme physical or mental torture for months.

Bad Circulation? No. Male pattern baldness is not caused by a lack of circulation or nutrients to the follicle, whether it be by hats, ponytails, or anything else. There are conditions where trauma to the scalp has caused damage, but it wouldn't happen without you knowing it.

Sweat & Dirt? No. Beware of any treatment that claims it is "cleaning" the follicles of excess sebum, dirt, or sweat. Anyone who has ever had an ingrown hair can vouch for the fact that it takes a heck of a lot more than oil to stop a hair from growing through something. You sweat in high school, and you never lost a hair from it.

Hats? No. The high school baseball team was never known to be the baldest team in school. Hat's do not cause hair loss"

www.hairlosstalk.com...

"Only if you wear a hat that is prohibitively tight. Any form of pulling or tightening of the hair can have some effect on hair loss, but wearing a hat is not a problem if it fits well."
www.understanding-hair-loss.net...

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'm not an expert on the subject but just theoretically speaking wouldn't it cause more wear and tear? like I've noticed from 20 years of never wearing anything but jeans...the hair on the back of my calves, like where the fabric rubs against them the most, is a lot finer and softer. Or from wearing tee shirts all the time you can see a big difference in the texture of the hair from where the sleeves are and where they end, so if thats the case and it really does make a difference in those cases, wouldn't it be the same deal for wearing hats all the time?
P.S tight ponytails and stuff like that don't make you go bald but they do cause a lot of breakage if you wear your hair like that on the regular.area51

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think the myth is spread because guys who are thinning on top tend to wear hats more often to cover it up. That is only my own opinion though.

[edit to ask why this thread had -2 responses when I first saw it?]

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Here you go.... A hat that actually reverses baldness!

www.kotulas.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
No, wearing a hat in and of itself does not make you go bald. A lot of it has to do with Genes, stress, and the lifestyle that each indiviidual leads.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Purely genetics with a touch of bad luck. lol

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
C´mon....genetics...sadly enough for some men...maybe the rumor came up cause many men with a bold head use to wear hats or beanies to hide the loss of hair?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Actually wearing your cap backwards is assured to promote male pattern baldness and scalp disease.

And wearing the bill skewed off to one side; although fashionable,
invites bacteria that grow and thrive on the scalps of young men, insuring a receding hairline or one of those bald spots on the back of your head.

Wearing tinfoil as headwear however, promotes a healthy head of hair much better than unguents, salves or pomade or any of the popular over the counter medicines, plus protects the brain from those pesky mind controlling rays.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I would like to add that wearing tinfoil, besides being on the cutting edge of fashion, is releatively inexpensive when comparing it to a Dobbs or a Stetson.

Look around you at the bald men without hats. Notice anything strange?
See that look in their eye that says "I know I'm bald, and guess what, I don't care" "I don't care if you call me chrome dome or slick; I'm self confident and the rest of the world dosen't matter to me" "and to prove it to you; I'm gonna shave off what little hair I have left"

and with this thought; I hope you continue to bear in mind....this....
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Wearing tinfoil as headwear however, promotes a healthy head of hair much better than unguents, salves or pomade or any of the popular over the counter medicines, plus protects the brain from those pesky mind controlling rays.

You forgot to add:

And is a great conducter of lightning......

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

You forgot to add:

And is a great conducter of lightning......

That is quite true Oz but the risk of being struck by lightenin pales in comparison to being fashionable, having a full head of hair, being adored by women of all ages, having children constantly offering you pie, enhancing muscle growth all over your body [wink, wink], Never having to spend any of your own money, popularity surpassing even the most well known rock star, being able to tell the future, having a firm and reassuring handshake, being able to throw your corrective lenses in the dustbin, speaking all languages except Portuguese, knowing the truth about chemtrails, the innate ability to fold pretty flowers origami style,
communicating with all barnyard animals, did I mention being adored by women of all ages? never ever having to experience the heartbreak of psoriasis, etc.

Oz,I know you are saying to yourself "whaaa, that sounds like exaggeration"

And my response is to get some tinfoil and shape it into a nice comfortable hat like form; My favorite is a cowboy style with a narrow brim; wear the foil constantly for 2 years and experience the true joy that
a mortal man on this beautiful green planet can experience.
If God didn't want us to be happy; he never would have invented tinfoil in the first place.

edit...I forgot to add that you can switch between being Jewish and Christian with absolutly no ill effects.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am older then both my brothers and i have always wore a hat out doors in the sun.
My brothers do not
They are going bald.
I have a full head of hair.

Sunburning of the edge of the hairline can cause the hairline to retreat
this can happen in the part of the hair too.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

[And my response is to get some tinfoil and shape it into a nice comfortable hat like form

Ummm, noooo

I live in one of the most lightning prone areas in the world, and the second heaviest recipient of lightning strikes in Australia....I would rather keep my eyebrows thankyou

Remember, I am a weatherman

top topics

join