It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AC/DC Blamed For Dark Economic Times in Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

AC/DC Blamed For Dark Economic Times in Britain

www.news.com.au

AS AC/DC's new album hits number one on the British charts it's been revealed the Aussie band only score big sales when recession starts to bite.

British newspaper Guardian has pointed out that the success of AC/DC albums has coincided with the darkest of economic times in the UK.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
So, is AC/DC responsible for our "Highway To Hell?" When their record sales decrease will it put our economic books "Back in Black?" I guess it's a "Dog Eat Dog" world out there. I blame this information leaking out on a certain "Squeeler" at the Guardian. I'd love to be a "Fly on the Wall" at the AC/DC compound right now and hear what their plans are for World Domination. Sometimes, they say a recession is necessary, so we want a scapegoat like AC/DC to do some "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." If we keep a "Stiff Upper Lip," I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

Highway to hell
1973: AC/DC form in Sydney, Australia.
Economy: Start of the oil crisis, which saw the price quadruple

1980: AC/DC release breakthrough album Back In Black
Economy: Inflation in UK reaches 20% and unemployment nears 2 million

1990: AC/DC score comeback with The Razor's Edge
Economy: Recession in UK imminent

2008: AC/DC top UK album charts
Economy: Biggest world recession in decades looms
(Link Supplied Above)

By the way, I'm a Bon Scott man, myself...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28/10/2008 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
All aboard the rock n roll train, eh?
That is just too funny. I can't even stay in my chair right now I'm laughing so hard.
I'm gonna have to go with cymatics on this one. LOL

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
How bizarrely weird! Great find though....lol! The only real point I guess, is which one comes first...should be be watching AC/DC as a stock market indicator, or really the other way round? You've made my day either way!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Interesting correlation, but I'll just stick to blaming AC/DC for doing nothing original in the last 25+ years of their career and for having a senior citizen prancing around in a school boy outfit.

Consistency and marketing geniuses, they are. Having their new album only available in the US via WalMart? Serious $$$ right there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Waltons agreed to buy 20 million copies right off the bat to fill their stores. And the stagnant waters of the music industry coagulate a little further.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Purely coincidence I'd say..but interesting nonetheless.
I started thread a few days back on AC/DC Black Ice tour. Ticket prices are rediculously high..

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I know the Malcolm Young family and I can assure you there's nothing sinister going on there
. Malcolm's quite keen on UFO phenomena by the way.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Some people have WAY to much time on their hands.

I guess the next 'logical' step would be to assume that every Christopher Walken movie was a step closer to the fabled Revelations? Or how about every rap song coinciding with another murder of a black person eh?

For the love of god when will it end...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Led Zep had a thing for hobbits and AC/DC has a thing for economic turmoil, I don't see a problem with this. No conspiracy here, unless AC/DC is a member of the Bilderberg Group and their primary task is to signal global stock market sell offs by releasing new albums...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Not another attempt at blaming rock'n Roll for mans woes( ohhhh its the devils music....lol).
Well, what more can you say than, "its a long way to the top when you're on the recession dole".
Rock 'n Roll baby. Rock and Roll.
AC/DC recession reliever #1. You can still play air guitar to every Angus solo after you had to hock you Gibson SG to pay your rent.
AC/DC recession reliever #2. Playing Back in Black backwards summons the devil, whom you can refinance your home loan with by using your soul as calateral.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Beelzebubba

I gave you a star. That was a great write up you did there.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Question: Where does the song "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep" fall into this?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. The whole thought is just so damned ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

AC/DC's appeal in unpredictable times is straightforward. People crave something uncomplicated and dependable in a time of uncertainty, and rock music has never produced a band so uncomplicated and dependable as AC/DC.
Guardian

I love this quote. So in times of dire financial straits, people go out and spend their cash on AC/DC albums. To soothe them and take them to a simpler, uncomplicated place.

Not even the death of lead singer Bon Scott could stop AC/DC cranking out hard-edged, wilfully basic blues-rock, decorated with lyrics in which the phrase "rock 'n' roll" figures heavily, but not as heavily as s'n-word'ing innuendo about scrotums.

I feel all fuzzy inside...

[edit on 28/10/2008 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I guess the next 'logical' step would be to assume that every Christopher Walken movie was a step closer to the fabled Revelations? Or how about every rap song coinciding with another murder of a black person eh?

For the love of god when will it end...

Thats Gold Kryties!
I laughed so hard I nearly coughed up a lung!

IRM

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Enjoyable OP.

To all the nay-sayers: This doesnt have to be understood as a "rock is evil" thread but can also be seen as a study in synchronicity and energy-flows of mass-consciousness.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
ackattacka...ackattacka...hoi..hoi..hoi...

They've been an important part in my upbringing. I can only thank them for guiding me through these hard economical times. At the same time, this might be their last album. I look forward to a blooming economy.

Angus forever !

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Benarius]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
What about all their other releases?

Maybe I'm missing something but the had just as good music on several other releases not listed.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I wonder how this fits in...
AC/DC Excel Spreadsheet Music Video Has Us Thunderstruck

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, or just maybe, too many on Wall Street were watching the video!

Seriously though, what a strange coincidence that AC/DC gets popular when times get tough....

My favorite AC/DC song, 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' might play in some how as well...
DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
About time they live up to that name

anti Christ / devils child =AC/DC
they are only doing there job to bring about the antichrist...who is it?

at least that's what i was always told there name stood for.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I am a little pissed that their concert tickets are 92.00 bucks!! I have my own little reccession going on. Give me a break!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join