It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Twin' solar system 'like ours'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I wonder if the best place to build a spaceship is in space.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

I'm assuming you didn't read the post of the person I was responding to. He was talking about a generation ship, which will never happen.

If we can find a way to "beat light" as I like to put it, then maybe. That possibility is very weak here. For awhile in school I wanted to be an astrophysics major. I could do the math, was interested, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, one of the things I quickly realized was all the aspects of attempting to travel space. Distance, physically building something that can do what is needed, funding, etc. Maybe we find a way to create a wormhole. Now you have to find a way to 1. prop it open 2. control where the other side will end up 3. create something that can go through the wormhole without killing the people inside. Then you need to have some way to sell this to investors.

I think we may one day find a way to create wormholes, but I dont think it is physically possible to control them. Thats why they will never be a means of travel.

IMO, get super AI and let something smart than us solve the question that is simply to complex for us to solve.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Sorry, you were right, went back and read the post you were referring too.

And for us to be so advanced? It is a bit off to postulate this being factual, as for the wormhole theory, and you are probably right, it would be a power and ability that is beyond the realm of humans to create. We would probably have to blow up a few scientists first. LOL ya know, for the sake of science kind of thing..

With all the UFO sightings and encounters, I am swayed to believe there are civilizations out there that can already do what you are speaking of. But, until they stop b and lend us their secrets!!

Any ways, "I apologize for not understanding the complete conversation you were having with the other poster."
sincerely,
Allred5923

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here we go again, thinking that a place in the Universe like Epsilon Eridani, or Tau Ceti is younger than we are?? come on, if those... whatever we really don't know who they are come hee? in disk shaped disks can get here from there? as the story has it with Betty and Barney Hill when she asked where they came from and one of those greys told her? your mind is too- too young to know, but I'll tell you we come from what you know as the Epsilon Eridani and Tau Ceti area? what does that tell you? Tells me that we're just an experiment or descended from them. Look again. It's arrogant to think that there is nothing that came before us that are a remnant of the big bang so to speak. There are worlds before our Earth etc... Wake up people.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

"And if you took the fastest ship..."

Well, obviously, you forgot we can just have Scotty rev up the boosters..."Aye aye, Cap,n!"

We'll be there before the commercial break, hahahaha.

Neat thread.

That we spent the DOD budget on space exploration...sigh.....

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hate to tell you, but there are dozens of known solar systems that are very similar to our own.

And as of now, astronomers can only detect the giant planets from Earth. They have no means to detect anything smaller than Saturn/Neptune. So, they have no way of knowing if there are "astroide belts", etc. in any other solar system. They can infer, but not prove.

They have known of similar solar systems for about 20 years now. It is just now breaking news here?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldMedic

I don't think that it is so much "New News" here, but this particular finding is new for the threads.
I think it is very educational and insightful to speak of all new finds, whether they are about a similar topic of discussion or not.
And yes, I have known about the fact there are other Solar systems similar to ours, We are a very lonely species, we are looking for neighbors to move in with, or at least befriend...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldMedic
Hate to tell you, but there are dozens of known solar systems that are very similar to our own.

And as of now, astronomers can only detect the giant planets from Earth. They have no means to detect anything smaller than Saturn/Neptune. So, they have no way of knowing if there are "astroide belts", etc. in any other solar system. They can infer, but not prove.

They have known of similar solar systems for about 20 years now. It is just now breaking news here?

Sure it is old news that there are a number of similar solar systems out there, but for me, the big news it the location of this one. WAY closer than the others they have spotted so far. It may be the closest one to us or there may even be closer ones...Only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
yer right i wish i could do dat 2

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Two things were said against a generation ship

The first being that it would stink if a faster than light ship passed you by later on.

Don't see that as much of an issue, in that event, you could a few at a time or however it works out, let the newer ships dock and speed along the rest of the way...

A generation ship would have many uses as a base, either right where it is halfway or when it finishes it's journey, it would at the least be a piece of history

and the experiences of the crew for so many years and the story would be, amazing

The other response

Never happen?

Ah Money and Will!!!!

That is perhaps true, the effort involved currently in such a craft would be incredible and expensive...

Currently

I have to agree with that

It seems our money is better spent on fighting rather than an optimistic human struggle for survival and exploration

But, Maybe... who knows what the future will bring in terms of enlightenment, we might slide past these dark material times in decent shape yet

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mmariebored

A large ship, I would think so

Unless, someone breaks the anti gravity issue

Only so big of a ship can be launched via rocket

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I wonder if a very, very large ship in space would offset the tidal forces at all.

Tidal forces contribute to ocean currents, which moderate global temperatures by transporting heat energy toward the poles. It has been suggested that in addition to variations of insolation associated with orbital forcing, harmonic beat variations in tidal forcing may contribute to climate changes

wiki

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by gate13
I love qutoes like this. It has made me certain that science is the way lol

"Co-author Dr Dana Backman, from the SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) Institute, said: "This system probably looks a lot like ours did when life first took root on Earth.""

ProbablY? wtf does probably mean. simple... They have no freaking idea about it, thats what it means. No evidence no theory to back it up. NO IDEA.

" Although Epsilon Eridani's "Kuiper Belt" is about 100 times more packed with icy debris than our own, scientists think that when our solar system was 850 million years old, its Kuiper Belt must have looked very similar "

Thnk? lol i think the world is flat and the sun is a giant ice cream... getting my drift ats users???

this article is based on Personal opinion no evidence nothing but crap .

good luck to these scientist. they wouldnt be working for me thats for sure

Okay... See I figured you might have already figured this out but guess not.

1: They've just recently discovered this 'star system' right?

2: The basis/groundwork for Science is a lot of theorizing/Hypothosizing and Probabilities. - IE: "Probably" and "Thinking" lots.

3: Hence the reasons for these early "equations" - It's too soon for them to know anything just yet... 0_o

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Here is a German astrophysicists finding's from back in November 2007.
Seems there are Earth twins that gargantuan compared to our puny planet..

If life on Earth isn't doing it for you, then there's good news - an alternative may be around the corner. As German scientists announce that theoretical "Super-Earths" - planets 10 times the size of Earth with similar atmospheres - could support life for 35 per cent longer than our home planet, NASA scientists have discovered 55 Cancri f - a planet 45 times the size of Earth in a distant solar system that
spend[s] its entire orbit within what astronomers call the "habitable zone". The zone marks a "Goldilocks" band of space where the heat from a star leaves a planet neither too hot nor too cold to support liquid water, which is believed to be crucial for life.

Is this the next holiday destination, or the home of our future alien overlords? Only time will tell.

io9.com...

"Seems as we all are in need of new realistate..

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Oh come on, we all know fantasy is much more fun, considering we'll never even see our grandkids venture into space one day. Being a part of the building blocks, we can dream too, can't we?

Also, I believe a large ship is an impossibility on many levels.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by mmariebored]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

or in stead of creating super AI, we could find a way of putting the extra 90% of brain power were not using to make our selves more advanced or even create 100x smarter AI than currently exists

just a thought

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

OMGosh! I'm late to the party!!

Well, sometimes it's good to be 'fashionably late'....

Anyway, midnightb, glad that you (or if not you, somebody) mentioned the 'Vulcans'....as native to Eridani....

It tends to vindicate the vision of Gene Roddenberry, even if it's in a posthumous fashion.

Still, we have a lot to learn, and should go out to search.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Well, we haven't actually tried to build a stellar craft in zero gravity yet. Might be the secret to an anti-gravity propulsion system, rather than trying to do it on the good ole terra firma..

There was supposedly a Russian scientist that did create a prototype that did levitate to the ceiling in a short amount of time, his grandson had a nonworking model of it, but the original was supposedly confiscated by either German, UK or USA at the end of the cold war. It was called something like the "Resonator" or "Reticulator" something like that.
Every hear of this device?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
We as a species really don't change, a lot of us on here bemoan what our ancestors did to the Native Americans and Australian Aborigines and many, many other lands and races yet as soon as there's the possibility of another inhabitable planet the cry is "It's ours lets go live there" without a thought that there may already be dwellers either more primitive or more advanced.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
We as a species really don't change, a lot of us on here bemoan what our ancestors did to the Native Americans and Australian Aborigines and many, many other lands and races yet as soon as there's the possibility of another inhabitable planet the cry is "It's ours lets go live there" without a thought that there may already be dwellers either more primitive or more advanced.

Though your statement is mere speculation itself, I do see your point. We as a race of intelligent bi-pedal erect being's are always lured into the possibilities that may await us out there and down here.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join