It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Twin' solar system 'like ours'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
To begin with,the solar system in question is likely already somewhat populated, or is on "their" list at the right moment. This galaxy is already populated by many advanced races and they do move into empty territories. If life was already evolving there, it wouldn't pose any difficulties for advanced races, in fact they would probably be adapting the planets to suit them, and the life forms.
We have to get over the idea that we may be able to go wherever we think we can plant a flag! We're not even welcome on our moon according to Armstrong! And many have talked about us under quarantine.
The time factor would be greatly reduced if there was a natural wormhole nearby, or if advanced races had the ability to form them on their own.
So I wonder who's already setting up camp in that newly available real estate.

I agree that the universe is already populated by far, far advanced beings, so this finding is only "new" to us. I'm certain there's a universal law and order and our planet has been "flagged" by certain beings we little peoples can't even begin to fathom. But I also believe all the clues are found in our books and movies because advanced beings just can't help themselves.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by mmariebored]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Pretty cool indeed.

I think we should go there and wack the dinosaurs off.

Then we will select a genetically diverse group of people, say a few pairs from each land mass. They can colonize the planet to preserve our species with the rule they they cannot take or use any technology by the second generation from time to time we will visit them, but remain hidden and allow them to develop at their own pace.

That sounds like a great idea and I see the metaphoric point you're making -but- we haven't even perfected our own little Biosphere, let alone gotten the whole planet to work together in peace and harmony.

That's what has to happen in order to venture out into the "unknown".

Think of how much money will be saved if it was a joint effort and not a "race".

And it will prove that we're not in the barbarian stage anymore and can now be considered a "peaceful planet" and guest-worthy.

Also, I believe that when we DO venture out into the "unknown", we'll discover that the rules and laws of earth are not the end-all-be-all of correctness in the universe. We may not even be allowed to "stake our claim" on another planet. Makes sense, in the grand sceme of things.

[As far as travel time and human aging: if there was any truth to the old books telling about "The Beginning" of human life on this planet, their claims of ages reaching up to a thousand years old would have been better suited for space travel and setting up inhabitants on this "new" planet. Who knows, maybe this planet earth doesn't have the "fountain of youth" their's did.]

[edit on 29-10-2008 by mmariebored]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This will probably be the first extrasolar colony location, especially if there is a terrestrial planet, ideally of reasonable temperature. I imagine we could do it in 100 or so years if we really put our minds to it. A little terraforming and voila! Terra II. How cool would that be?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
You do know "WE" are there already...?

Bermuda Triangle anyone!!! Where else do you think these lost people end up...another dimension. That's ludicrous!!!

---please understand this is an attempt at humor, nothing else---

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

(To your comment on ruining our Twin Earth [one of many many parallel Earths in this universe] by "screwing it up" if we ever decided to try and go live there)

~ Remember johnsky, this Twin Star System of ours [one of many many parallel Star Systems in this universe] is only in the beginning stages of what our Solar System has evolved into today. So technically, if we were somehow able to go to our Twin Earth today and try and live there we would be eaten by dinosaurs, so therefore we would have to travel to our Twin Mars ( one of many many parallel ......), since our Twin Mars would be suitable for sustaining life during the dinosaur ages.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by xnibirux]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Na man, I got it.. I was just messin with you. I think you are correct that even a Mars terraform project would be a stretch unless significant funding went in to us establishing a permanent base there first. But wouldn't it be the most awesome thing to step foot (even a heavily booted one) on the surface of another planet?

Just the thought of that makes my sticker peck out

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Here is a site I found with all kinds of info about this system Too many pics to post, but worth having a look. There are artists impressions as well as actual pics. (Radio telescope pics).

The detection of three differentiable circumstellar debris belts around Epsilon Eridani suggest that the star hosts at least three planets of significant mass. One of the two possible planets previously detected around Epsilon Eridani (planet "b" or "A") was discovered in 2000 and is thought to be a Jupiter-class object in orbit around this nearby star at an average distance of 3.4 AUs (or almost three and half times Earth's orbital distance from the Sun), which is just outside the innermost asteroid belt. Although some researchers previously suggested that "Epsilon Eridani b" moves in an exaggerated ellipse ranging between 1 and 5 AUs around its host star, such an orbit would cross and quickly disrupt the newly discovered innermost asteroid belt; hence, the Spitzer team of astronomers argues that planet b must have a less eccentric (more circular or e~ 0.25) orbit that keeps it just outside the inner asteroid belt.

Epsilon Eridani

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
This type of solar system in the article is probably very common throughout the Universe. It just seems to be the norm... balls of rock, gas, and other things are gravitationally held by a huge ball of fire. I believe this is just how it is and that there are zillions and zillions of these little solar systems out there.

I also believe that the so-called "habitable zone" is where most life exists throughout the Universe. There could be strange extremophiles that live on hot planets very close to their star, but I would think the norm is a planet being just the right distance from it's star in relation to its size and brightness, like the Earth and the Sun.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Diplomat]

Not just the right distance from a sun but anywhere where there is an energy source. Simple life can exist almost anywhere. More complex life looks (so far) as if it needs liquid water.

I would agree with you on the numbers. I firmly believe that the universe is teeming with life after all wherever there is life entropy is reversed......There we go that's open the floodgates for a howls of protest from the narrow minded "I only believe what I was taught literally" physicists. Just a reminder about the so called "closed box" theories. There is and only ever has been one closed box in the entire universe and that my narrow minded physicist friends IS the universe. How can you isolate anything from the rest of the universe so as to prove your theory of a closed system (entropy, thermodynamics etc)?

Without life the universe blends into a blob of entropic goo. Life, being a natural order of the universe (and thus the meaning of life !!) keeps entropy at bay and thus the universe lives on.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
ok has anyone here considered Cryo freeze or suspended animation being cryo frozen would be like falling asleep then waking up very sick but still it would be like blinking an eye......... sort of

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 6dark6energy6

Not possible without doing permanent irreversable damage to the tissue. As of right now, anything like that is physically impossible. Anti-aging+induced coma would be a possibility though. We are more likely to stop the effects of aging than cryo freezing.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ducatillon

I am not at all too certain about how others measure warp, but I was under the impression acceleration is:

m/sec/sec or m/sec^2

where meter and second is a handy term denoting amount of space per unit of time.

So acceleration in an accelerated space would therefore be:

(m/sec^2)^2 or m/sec^4

which would be a rough approximation of warp velocity.

The reality is warped space contains an infinite number of higher order derivatives for acceleration, therefore it would approximate a curve, correct?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
To the person on the first page that said wouldnt it be neat if we could send a man and woman to a planet there to live. Even better would be if we found out that all the ufos and alien sightings we have seen were real and these aliens are from this new solar system and they were the ones that sent people here and we are there creation.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I think it will either have to be some combination of very large ark type craft that start flight with a very small crew and given the room and capacity to breed long enough to not over tax the ships ability to produce food over the estimated length of the journey

Or, some sort of suspended animation as described above.

I don't see interstellar faster than light travel being harnessed by us any time too soon, start on local worlds and colonies and start shipping people out the slow way

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 6dark6energy6
ok has anyone here considered Cryo freeze or suspended animation being cryo frozen would be like falling asleep then waking up very sick but still it would be like blinking an eye......... sort of

I don't believe we have advanced that use of technology as of yet, not for reawakening any ways. Very "Sci-Fi" though.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I have seen a theory like this before in a different situation and the scenario that was put was along the lines of the crew in suspended animaton get not even half way there when those left behind in several hundred years create near light speed travel and wiz past the first crew....
How ticked would you be? You would hope the second crew would stop and pick you up other wise you would arrive after the place had already been settled for a few hundred years.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Even though it would take more time than the "Cryo" theories, I do believe your ways of thought would be the only way to succeed in a venture such as this. The speed of light theory might be realised after launching such a mission after they are star bound and actually can figure out the practicalities as the travel moved forward, but til then, we are basically stuck at our current fastest rate of accomplished speed.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Never going to happen. No profits to be made off that. We spend all this money on it, and our grandkids will be dead before they even reach said destination. Its not practical.

I still stick with my AI theory.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Only 180,000 yrs to get there? Hey, sign me up. I'll pack a couple of long books to pass the time on the way.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I personally don't agree that it will "Never" happen.
There are principles of acceptance to the fact that speed of light travel research being done on the earths surface results may very from the absolute conditions of the elements of what makes up outer-space.

Outer space is the closest natural approximation of a perfect vacuum.[citation needed] It has effectively no friction, allowing stars, planets and moons to move freely along ideal gravitational trajectories. But no vacuum is truly perfect, not even in intergalactic space where there are still a few hydrogen atoms per cubic centimeter. (For comparison, the air we breathe contains about 1019 molecules per cubic centimeter.) The deep vacuum of space could make it an attractive environment for certain industrial processes, for instance those that require ultraclean surfaces; however, it is currently much less costly to create an equivalent vacuum on Earth than to leave the Earth's gravity well.

Not saying it wouldn't be spendy, but hey, "You have to give a little to gain a little, or in this case, gain a lot." provided the experimentation is successful in practical investigations in outer-space.

Interplanetary
Main article: Interplanetary medium
Outer space within the solar system is called interplanetary space, which passes over into interstellar space at the heliopause. The vacuum of outer space is not really empty; it is sparsely filled with cosmic rays, which include ionized atomic nuclei and various subatomic particles. There is also gas, plasma and dust, small meteors, and several dozen types of organic molecules discovered to date by microwave spectroscopy. Interplanetary space is defined by the solar wind, a continuous stream of charged particles emanating from the Sun that creates a very tenuous atmosphere (the heliosphere) for billions of miles into space. The discovery since 1995 of extrasolar planets means that other stars must possess their own interplanetary media.

[edit] Interstellar
Main article: Interstellar medium
Interstellar space is the physical space within a galaxy not occupied by stars or their planetary systems. The interstellar medium resides – by definition – in interstellar space.

[edit] Intergalactic
Main articles: Intracluster medium and Cosmic microwave background
Intergalactic space is the physical space between galaxies. Generally free of dust and debris, intergalactic space is very close to a total vacuum. Some theories put the average density of the Universe as the equivalent of one hydrogen atom per cubic meter[12][13]. The density of the Universe, however, is clearly not uniform; it ranges from relatively high density in galaxies (including very high density in structures within galaxies, such as planets, stars, and black holes) to conditions in vast voids that have much lower density than the Universe's average. The temperature is only 2.73 Kelvin[14]. NASA's COBE mission (Cosmic Background Explorer) measured the temperature as 2.725 +/- 0.002 K.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a "Driven to Discover " blog that does have your same points of views. So, "You maybe right, I maybe crazy" [Billy Joel song]

blog.lib.umn.edu...

But more recent discoveries tell a different story all together for the abilities of reaching the speeds of light and beyond.

Simply put use of gravitational wave in higher dimensions easily produce thousand time faster speed than light.
The waves and radiations that we can perceive are designed to explicitly manifest themselves in 3-d spatial environments. Gravity radiation is what runs the chilled universe , the Hyperspaces and zillion universes held by the chilled platform universe.

www.indiadaily.com...

Well, who knows for sure when the time will come to actually travel the speed of light or faster, I just I hope I am around to witness the event!!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join