It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Twin' solar system 'like ours'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CAP811

the novel "phoenix without ashes" deals with a generation ship where the original mission is forgotten by later generations.

maybe we should just go for the old "human embryo raised by advanced AI when it gets to the destination" plan.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Sounds cool - I'll have to read that one.

Embryos with AI robotic nannies could work, too. As long as the robots don't become self-aware and decide to alter the mission for their own reasons.

It's interesting to postulate that any colonizing group we send out to settle a distant plant may develop its own society over time that could overwrite the original plan. That's the fun part - being free to make you own rules now that you're no longer a part of the "big picture".

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

This might sound stupid but I have always wondered if it is possible that we are looking through a dimensional mirror or a distant view of our past.

Could it be possible that we are actually looking at our own solar system through a past and distant view. If we/astronomy are looking into the past when looking through a telescope and seeing past events in the stars and galaxies, and if the Earth is moving out from the point of its formation, couldn't we be looking back at the early Earth and the beginning of our own solar system?

Or

What if by looking in a certain direction and the angles of spectrum and light, we are actually looking at and seeing a demensional alternative to our current Earth. What if we keep looking and find more systems just like ours. Could they all be a version of a multiple dimensional Earth in their own current (past to us by the time the light reaches us) state.

I mean, what do we really know? We are still infants in the infinite scope of science.

It boggles the mind to think about it, but it would be fun to play around with the theory.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by arizonascott]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

That won't happen. Can't get the resources to do something like that. The ship would have to be huge, then you would have to find a way to get that bad boy moving. Not practical or even probably possible.

As far as sending probes. Big deal. They will probably take over half a century just to get there, and for what? There is no reason to spend time and effort on something that is inefficient.

You need something that can get places much faster than light travels to get there. Anything over 50 lightyears away wouldn't be practical to travel to even at the speed of light.

We need something where we can move many people and resources in a very short period of time. Reason? How long do you think we will last at our current pace? You think we have another couple centuries to send some probes to foreign planet? I don't think so, not at this current population growth.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Good luck creating AI that can raise a human being. We are a ways off from that technology as well.

Generation ships= inefficient.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

You need something that can get places much faster than light travels to get there

that depends on what your objective is. If you have a generation ship or fleets of them the journey could be thousands of years.

In terms of AI for the embryos we first made the intelligence of an insect then it was a lizard now i think we're up to a small mammal. The people in the field are very optimistic of couse im not talking tomorrow.

but humans will continue to develop it may not happen for 1000 years. But its a real possiblility.

you seem to be constrained to the idea of going there in our lifetime or imagining things like the starship enterprise. I dont think that will happen but we can think of ways humans could colonize the galaxy. After all we will need to colonize if we are not to go extinct

[edit on 28-10-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Where are you going to get the resources to survive during that 1000 year trip? Quantum teleportation?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by arizonascott

Doesn't sound stupid to me. Actually, you might be on to something there. Perhaps it's not this planet in different stages in dimensions we are seeing though. With 2012 fast approaching and there has been mention by some that at this time the whole planet and everything on/in it will undergo a "shift" and those who are "ready" for this shift will enter into the 5th density and those not "ready" will simply move to another 3rd density world. Could we possibly be viewing the future home for those not ready to move on? Just a thought.

LMBSC

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lmbbsc

Nice, I had never considered that idea. Thank you, now you really have me thinking all kinds of things. lol

It's nice to think that no matter what state of "readiness" we are in we will have a home. But, the people who are ready are going to experience something far more enlightened and meaningful.

Thanks again for the idea.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

well the ship would need to be like a self contained biosphere. If its nuclear powered you just need a store of uranium to keep it going. Of course we would need to devlop more tech wise to acheive actually building one

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
For some that don't know, the distance between the Earth and the Sun is 8 light-minutes. That universe is 10.5 light-years away. 1 year = 525,948.766 minutes. 10.5 years = 5,522,462.05 minutes. We would have to travel from the Earth to the Sun 5,522,462.06 times to get over there. That's quite a distance.

So unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever make contact with them in this age of technology and human understanding.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by panda319]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by arizonascott
reply to post by lmbbsc

Nice, I had never considered that idea. Thank you, now you really have me thinking all kinds of things. lol

It's nice to think that no matter what state of "readiness" we are in we will have a home. But, the people who are ready are going to experience something far more enlightened and meaningful.

Thanks again for the idea.

You are welcome. I am glad that you now have something new to ponder.

I find it interesting that some of the conspiracy theories deal with the belief that alien beings have been coming to this planet for thousands of years and have interfered with our natural evolution and in a sense, created us as we are now and now there are people discussing going and colonizing a planet, if discovered in this new solar system. What if we go there and we find life. Could this be history repeating itself?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by panda319

Well, panda....'theoretically' speaking....IF there were a type of civilization in the other Star System (not 'universe') roughly at our technological development, then they would have radio.

(There is a scale of Civilizational development posited by a physicist, sorry I forget his name, that proposes a three-tiered idea: Type I, Type II, and Type III. WE are not yet even up to 'Type I' yet....that level assumes a fully functioning System of interplanetary colonization technologies. Type II would entail inter-stellar ablities, and Type III would be something only in our imaginations....non-corporeal, perhaps).

So, back to us....we simple Humans have only had the technological experience of radio for, what? About a hundred years? Two or three generations? (in Human life-span terms...)

ANYWAY...against all calcuable odds of an intelligent species being in virtual 'shouting-distance' to each other (only 10 or 11 LY) at least we could use radio....with a 20-year gap for each response.

Long-Range Comm will need something better than Light Speed if it's going to be practical anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
sooner or later, we will be able to see another planet earth right above the clouds....it's gonna be beautiful.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There's probably thousands and thousands of solar systems out there like "ours".

Not a big "news" story at all this in my opinion. If they found a planet like ours with life on it, that would be different.

They're great places to visit at least that's for sure, stop by if you ever get the chance!

-IX

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There's probably thousands and thousands of solar systems out there like "ours".

Not a big "news" story at all this in my opinion. If they found a planet like ours with life on it, that would be different.

They're great places to visit at least that's for sure, stop by if you ever get the chance!

-IX

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Mabe there are peeps there nad they have just spotted our solar system too. Now wouldn't that be an amazing coincidence!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I love qutoes like this. It has made me certain that science is the way lol

"Co-author Dr Dana Backman, from the SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) Institute, said: "This system probably looks a lot like ours did when life first took root on Earth.""

ProbablY? wtf does probably mean. simple... They have no freaking idea about it, thats what it means. No evidence no theory to back it up. NO IDEA.

" Although Epsilon Eridani's "Kuiper Belt" is about 100 times more packed with icy debris than our own, scientists think that when our solar system was 850 million years old, its Kuiper Belt must have looked very similar "

Thnk? lol i think the world is flat and the sun is a giant ice cream... getting my drift ats users???

this article is based on Personal opinion no evidence nothing but crap .

good luck to these scientist. they wouldnt be working for me thats for sure

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Ah, I know what physicist you're talking about. I saw the video and he was comparing the Type II and Type III to Star Wars and Star Trek I think. He also said we are Type 0. Regardless, it's quite a distance to travel...Contact itself could be possible but I doubt physical contact, at least anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gate13

Hmmmm yeah i do see what you are saying. However i do think this is just the begging of the speculation and Hypothesis. When the article says the scientests 'think' it means exactly that a Hypothesis. They will have the data. Scientests are just thinking and searching for the questions they need to answer. Just like the school science fairs lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join