It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Twin' solar system 'like ours'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
Very cool find for sure.

The biggest point to all of this is simply that we know so little about things that it just amazes me how people will write off the idea of 'intelligent' non-terrestrial life being close enough to us to reach us via flight.

Sure, 10.5 light years is still quite a ways away but technically it is MUCH closer than any other similar solar system has been thought to exist. If a race could have developed speed of light travel that is simply a 21 year round trip. A long time but still fairly short compared to what we have been lead to believe before.

There is intelligent life out there. Most likely the numbers will say thousands of various intelligent species if not millions.

This is all very well and true, but this system is a fairly new system. So life may not be that evolved yet, if life even exists there at this time? I would love for there to be life there and for us to visit them or them to visit us.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
reply to post by duffster

How do you clean up a bedroom with 30 people partying in it?

There is nothing wrong with US as a species or with the planet Earth that making the appropriate amount of room for all to live in good conditions and have self respect and freedom wouldn't fix instantly

Well put! Gave you a star for that comment. I couldn't think of any better way of putting it.

edit: The first edit didn't go through lol. Any was the star was for the whole post not just the part I commented. I didn't think the mods would appreciate it if I quoted your entire post.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by hILB3rT]

[edit on 28-10-2008 by hILB3rT]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I can see us sending a probe there within the next couple of decades. Perhaps a Starwisp probe. Theoretical top speed is about 1/5 the speed of light before it gets out of range. So roughly a couple of hundred years to get there. Then assuming Earthlike (or Terraformable planets we can get more detailed info. By that point we would have enough of a advanced Technology to send a colony ship of some sort.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is great, how far off are we from Hypersonic flight? How far off is that from the speed of light? And how long would 10.5LY take with Hypersonic speed?

edit: Did some research, 1 light year is 5.8 Trillion miles. Which means we would need to travel 10x that distance which gives us 60,000,000,000,000 miles.
If I did my math right, at Mach 5(3750mph) it would take 16,000,000,000 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that is the fastest we have at the moment. What I don't understand is, how does the space shuttle reach 18,000mph? is it because it's in space? no air, wind, rain to slow it down? At 18k mph, 3,333,333,333.

That's pretty slow.
I sure hope we're working on something faster.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Ferengi]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

that if we don't blow our beloved earth till kingdom come before we can advance...

i don't have a doubt in humankind reaching far into space..but given our nature and all our war mongering leaders, i fear that we might destroy ourself first before we can achieve deep space faring capabilities..

just my thoughts

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Actually, planetary systems like ours were thought to be extraordinarily rare. I recall reading in the New Scientist a few months ago that scientists thought the majority of systems only contained gas giants.

To echo previous comments, yes, if this checks out it might be a prime candidate for colonisation, providing all the materials are there.

A question to those who currently think that we're undergoing gradual desensitisation to the possibility of alien life. Do you think that this is part of it? How would you reconcile that with the fact that it'd be hard to hide systems like this from the scientists themselves at the observatories?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferengi
This is great, how far off are we from Hypersonic flight? How far off is that from the speed of light? And how long would 10.5LY take with Hypersonic speed?

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Ferengi]

Oh dear. Hypersonic, at sea level, is roughly mach 5. That's about 3810 mph. Of course you need an atmosphere for it to be anything "sonic" anyway. Sonic implies something to do with sound and sound can't happen in a vacuum, It's all about molecules and energy transfer, here looky this

But that's neither here nor there

So, back to speed. 3810 mph isn't really that fast compared to what we achieved with the Apollo program. The Saturn V got up to about 25,000 mph. link

And Voyager 1 is traveling at, I believe (cannot find a source) 36,000 mph.

The speed of light is about 669,600,000 mph

So we're a very fast species, but 10.5 LY. Assuming we could get ourselves up to 36,000 mph (to say nothing of slowing back down), it would still take a very long time.

Let's see how long

1 light year is about 5,878,625,373,183 miles

So let's call 10.5LY 60 trillion miles, what's a few hundred billion when doing hypotheticals?

60 trillion miles / 36,000 mph

1.6 billion hours...

I really can't concieve that many hours, so that's 1.6 billion / 24

69.4 million days... hmmm, will I live that many days in my life?

not a chance

69.4 million / 365

190,259 years

That's ugly. Even if we really had a conventional thrust breakthrough.

See here for a bunch of theoretic ways to solve this distance problem...

linkydo

I didn't see ion thrust in there, but maybe I overlooked it.

I'm guessing that there will need to be science-fictionesque breakthroughs in our knowledge of reality before we can develop feasible interstellar flight.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
10.5 Light Years is still in our wildest dreams.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
with a manned version of this,maybe a lot larger of course,and lots longer to prepare also,then maybe 10 ly isnt so much in reality?

en.wikipedia.org...

whaddya reckon?is it possible?could it work?

i agree though,colonising under the seas and mars etc should be our first priority

[edit on 28-10-2008 by seriously,who cares?]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Obviously God didn't like what he saw on our planet so he created a new solar system.

This is no longer a one liner.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Maybe space is kind of like the old Pac-Man game. You go off one side of the screen and immediately come in on the other side. So if you look through a telescope in one direction you are seeing the other side. Hence we would be looking at our backside. Man my head hurts now.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
To begin with,the solar system in question is likely already somewhat populated, or is on "their" list at the right moment. This galaxy is already populated by many advanced races and they do move into empty territories. If life was already evolving there, it wouldn't pose any difficulties for advanced races, in fact they would probably be adapting the planets to suit them, and the life forms.
We have to get over the idea that we may be able to go wherever we think we can plant a flag! We're not even welcome on our moon according to Armstrong! And many have talked about us under quarantine.
The time factor would be greatly reduced if there was a natural wormhole nearby, or if advanced races had the ability to form them on their own.
So I wonder who's already setting up camp in that newly available real estate.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
well its nice to see it resembles our system in terms of the asteroid belts so there should be more like it hopefully a bit more mature. But if it is like ours it still has to go through the late heavy bombardment which would ruin your whole day.

give it another 300 million years and it should be safe to visit.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have heard many people discussing 2012 and what will happen then. Some say that Those who are ready will shift into 5th density and those who are not will simply move onto another 3rd density world to continue their journey and lessons.............. Could this be the future home for those left in 3rd density? Just a thought.

lmbsc

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

My point was that nothing short of a revolutionary burst in technology for space travel, will we ever visit this system, or any of the other systems.

10.5 light years away IS rather small, in comparison with many of the other systems out there that are hundreds of thousands of lightyears away.

That being said, it would still take 180,000 years to travel to that system 10.5 lightyears away. I believe a trip to PLUTO would take something like 10 years.

Given the facts, using conventional travel (using some sort of fuel to speed a vehicle up) we will never get there, or much of anywhere for that matter.

I said this because many of the posts are in fantasy land about terraforming and stuff. The only place that MIGHT be even remotely possible would be mars, and even that is a stretch.

Until we fund science research, and maybe make a lucky breakthrough, we are stuck HERE indefinately.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

Nice work.

Thanks for clearing all that up, wow. 190,259 years, 69.4mil days, oh my, you're right...that is ugly. Ion thrust, i'll look into the specs on that in a bit.

I'd love to see how plant/animal life look on that planet.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

well to be realistic we would be talking about laser powered solar sails & plasma engines. Perhaps capable of 20% the speed of light. That would take 50 years to get there.

still a long time for a human but not for probes or robots. It will be interesting to see what happens in the field of human life extension, who knows how long people will live 200 years from now.

or we could send a fleet of probes with human embryos who are grown and brought up by advanced AI robots. Building another human civilization far away.

but like i said its not a good place to visit right now. Its too early in the systems development.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferengi

As I posted earlier. Our fastest ship moves at 39,000 mph. At 10.5 lightyears, at that speed constant, it would take 180,000 years.

Speed of light travel, maybe theoretically possible, is not physically possible. Simple excelleration methods of travel will never get anywhere close to the speed of light speed, not even a noticable fraction of it.

Speed of light= 671,224,363mph (roughly)
Speed of our fastest space ship= 39,000mph
Fraction of the speed of light that we travel? 39,000/671,224,363 which is like 5.8^-5
fraction wise that is about 5.8/100,000

You know what that means? We have to increase our current top speed by over 170 times, just to go 1/100 of the speed of light.

The point is, research a different means of travel than trying to go the speed of light or anywhere close. Even going the speed of light isn't practical when you think about it. Even at the speed of light, which is basically impossible to get a physically moving that fast, would still take 10.5 years just to get there.

10.5 lightyears is NOTHING in comparison to many systems out there. Even traveling the speed of light, its still not practical for space travel any length of distance.

Finding a way to beat the speed of light is the only route.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by grimreaper797]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

we could still have generation ships. Where the anscestors of the original crew are the ones who colonize the eventual destination.

and there is potential in plasma drives & solar sails. Someone has actually placed a bet on long bets that we will send our first inter stellar probe by 2025. Seems too optimistic to me. I'll go for the end of the century.
www.centauri-dreams.org...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So, we create an Ark-type spaceship, place a suitable contigent of humans on it, and send it off on a hundreds of years mission. For the first hundred years or so, things go well, THEN:

1. Factions appear challenging the original mission

2. Revolution breaks out on the Ark

3. The survivors form a new society

4. The Ark falls into disrepair because of the tenents of the new society

5. By the time it reaches the planet, the Ark is disintegrating and crashes

6. The remaining passenger, having forgotten all concept of the original mission, attempts to survive

In its (his or her) attempt to survive, it finds homonid like creatures with whom it settles, becoming the chief ("god"). Offspring are produced whose genetic makeup is more advanced, leading to a superior race. The original homonids die out, while the new race prospers, using the advanced abilities and training gained from "god". Of course, they can only mimic what "god" was able to do - sort of a poor reflection of the greater being.

Couple more hundred years pass and we perfect interstellar travel. We arrive expecting to find the civilization developed by the Ark passengers, but instead find a developing species that is a hybrid of us and the original inhabitants. They recognize us from the oral legends passed down about the orignal "god" and accept us as the same.

Now comes the fun part. Do we:

• Act as gods and try to help them develop morals and social instincts to overcome their basic animal instincts?

• Act as gods and rule them as slaves?

• Leave them alone and see what happens?

• Some or all of the above?

Wonder if this has happened before

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join