It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Apparel takes stand on immigration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

American Apparel takes stand on immigration

www.reuters.com

Atop its pink factory in downtown Los Angeles, a sprawling banner declares American Apparel a "Compania Rebelde" (rebel company) and all over town, benches and billboards sponsored by the company shout "Legalize LA."

While immigration is almost a non-issue in the U.S. presidential campaign, American Apparel, the biggest garment manufacturer in the country, is doing its best to keep the debate alive, saying legalizing foreign workers is good for business.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

The dramatic tailspin of financial markets and the slowing U.S. economy has pushed the immigration issue even further into the background, a situation that American Apparel is trying to challenge.

"It is essential that we do not idly stand by in this next election," read a memo the company recently sent to its workers in a voter registration drive, urging them to remind both candidates to honor their promises for reform.

It is true that this once-scorching hot issue has cooled off significantly in the past few months.

Now, one side of the argument says that companies should be allowed to hire whomever they want, in the name of profit.

The other side would counter that such hiring practices steals jobs from American citizens.

Then there's the bigger picture, wherein a possible NWO agenda wishes to dilute the United States with illegal foreign infiltration, to say nothing of the ease with which those sneaking across the borders could bring destruction along, in the form of drugs, weapons, even in a nightmare-scenario, WMD's of some sort.

Alarmism? Perhaps. Possible? Of course.

Your opinions? Is this just another "progressive" company that's actually undermining what's good about the US? Or, are the Lou Dobbs of the world merely fomenting hate and dissension in the [at least nominally United States of America?

My opinion? Seems like this marketing-savvy company is just aiming at strengthening profits from their base--young, trendy, reactionary urbanites who care mostly about pretending to be a movie star or rap diva, rather than where their tax money goes, etc.

One of my best friend's parents emigrated from Cuba with nothing but guts and a dream. And I'm grateful that they made it. I don't condemn immigrants. How many Americans don't descend from immigrants? But the divisive nature of American Apparel's latest campaign is disturbing, to the discerning eye.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I used to be an ardent supporter of closed borders and enforcing the constitution, but it looks like we're going towards a North American union anyway so I don't see the purpose in fighting Illegal Immigration anymore. As for fighting for the Constitution to be enforced, what can us ATSers do about it anyway aside from talking with friends and family? If Obama gets elected he's already said he's going to instigate a lot of "change" anyway just look at what he says in his speeches...

www.youtube.com...

Besides I'm only a teen...hope that doesn't destroy my credibility.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by PinealGlandThoth]

[edit on 28-10-2008 by PinealGlandThoth]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You're far too young to give up on your country so easily, PGT!

I do understand, and on some level relate to your disenchantedness/apathy. However, it is of the utmost importance to continue developing your sense of ethics, and to live accordingly!

Keep your head up and your loved ones close.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PinealGlandThoth

We can buy automatic weapons. I will die for the Country, but not the government.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Be careful with that thing!

new topics

top topics

join