It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of this "Theory"??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
To introduce my question to you all I need to first state that anything that man creates is never 100% effective.

I learned of this after working in cell culture labs and it is a universal truth for all areas.

If we buy software for every so many created one will be defective.

If we clone a person they will be 99.9% the same as the original and this will degrade if you clone the clone.

If we copy a CD/DVD on a pc it will be 99.9% the same.

Software has variables left over from programming and therefore is never perfect just ask bill gates! (windows)

We create machines to build cars etc etc and every so many are still at fault because it is a man made machine creating a machine.

We create music from imperfection for crying out loud!

I have tried to give some simple examples but this is a fact for all life and it is the basis of human life and that is why we are imperfect individuals.

Society seems to be trying to make us perfect despite our imperfections.

My question is this.

Do you think that persuit of perfection will lead to our destruction?

Im keeping it simple until I get a few good posts.

Feel free to comment on anything slightly on topic as it is a pretty huge generalisation but I am sure you will get the point I am making

Cheers people

[edit on 27-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Yes and no.

I think every society strives toward "perfection."

The problem is that they do not agree on what perfection is, and fight and kill each other so that their version of perfection is realized.

So in that sense, yes.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
That is the beauty of it though because although you may disagree with some of which I have pointed out some of it is agreeable.

This also adds to the fact I have made in my post.

I am of the belief that perfection leads to destruction for if we were perfect we would not have a point in being here. The DNA we have is interwoven into any invention, thought, personality, product etc etc as we are imperfect.

Imperfection is the beauty of the purpose of our lives and without it we cannot progress.

It is even further complicated by emotions and that is why we have predominant individuals seeking there own agenda over others.

It still adds to the imperfections or individuality we all have.

In essence I would strongly argue that this is what infinity is in a non scientific point of view.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
What an interesting idea! asmeone2 has a very good point and to take it to its extreme, genocide stems from a perception of imperfection in others.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

In essence I would strongly argue that this is what infinity is in a non scientific point of view.

I would agree, though I would argue that we are all part of a collective conscience, hence the imperfections. Imperfections or juse not whole?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I agree with you.

I think that emotions are a major driving force in human beings in terms of setting yourself higher than others.

The fascinating part of it is the fact that we are all unique no matter how many combinations you put in sort of speak and this is true for anything man made for those very reasons.

I never fully understood it until working in labs.

It is also the essence of who we are and I believe that is infinity in a human aspect.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I learned of this after working in cell culture labs and it is a universal truth for all areas.
If we buy software for every so many created one will be defective.
If we clone a person they will be 99.9% the same as the original and this will degrade if you clone the clone.
If we copy a CD/DVD on a pc it will be 99.9% the same.

“Out of perfection nothing can be made. Every process involves breaking something up.” - Joseph Campbell

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

What I am meaning is that who we are in terms of you me and the person across the street etc. We are 99.9% similar in genetic makeup.

Along with all the above posts including mine.

I would say I still agree with you as we learn from mistakes but is it not interesting that we repeat these mistakes further down the line no matter how many years and this I believe has a lot to do with who we are.

We will always make progress but I still feel that we will face the same problems because we are not perfect but if we were perfect there would be no point.

Hope that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The problem as I see it is that we tend to see perfection as something that isn't, rather than what is. In fact, isn't imperfection true perfection since it is the only constant?

Will it destroy us? No. Humans beings are mentally adaptive more than anything. When an idea proves to be ultimately detrimental, it is abandoned. Unfortunately some ideas are so tantalizing that we can't seem to help but leap for them in great numbers. The rest of us have the advantage of learning from their folly.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Its interesting how we have all these really intelligent quotes from people throughout time that always make sense as well.

We seem to repeat do we not?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Exactly.

I agree but I worry that we are trying to live in a society where everyone wants to be perfect depending on what the tube deems perfect. (Celebrity)

It is worrying because it creates more bad feeling and if you look above and to the extreme you create feelings that create genocide even.

Ever adding to the circle of the persuit of perfection.

Look at Hitler for example he wanted the perfect race.

I think that we should learn who we are especially before we even contemplate perfection if perfection is not imperfection.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I agree with you XXXN30 that we all strive to seek perfection in some way, shape, or form. I'm not sure what you mean by "our destruction" though...that can imply a multitude of different things (as you said in the OP). I'd need a more specific viewpoint of destruction to dive into that part of your question.

Personally, I believe that as humans we should all strive for perfection, but only with the knowledge that perfection cannot be attained. Nothing is perfect. Hence, impossible to achieve. But despite this, our seemingly innate desire to reach this intangible goal is what makes us so special. So no, I don't see this being a negative thing by any means, unless whoever is trying to achieve perfection does so without the realization that it cannot be reached.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

By destruction I am looking at it in the extreme not the everyday part of life.

If you look into history and the big example is Hitler who wanted a perfect race and look at the atrocity caused by one mans emotion and viewpoint. I am saying that the persuit of absolute perfection is corrupt.

As indivduals we try to better ourselves which is mis-labeled as perfection.

A simple example, you could train for 5 years every day in the gym but some guy who has had 30 days training might still be able to run longer than you because you do not have the same body but he/she will lack other skills you have.

That is why we have competitions of course because even that would have no purpose if we were perfect.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
What I am suggesting though is that we are not so much as imperfect, just incomplete. In which imperfection becomes a given. Because we are as individuals a piece of something bigger and complete.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I see where you're coming from, but I see no fault in Hitler's desire for a perfect race. In fact, I think we should all wish humanity was perfect...Hitler's problem was the way in which he went about trying to reach this perfection. That and his idea of a 'perfect' human was illogical.

We disagree (and some hate) Hitler not because he wanted a perfect world so to speak, but because in order to achieve this he did many unforgivable atrocities, no?

I think we should not want to specifically 'be' perfect, we should strive for perfection. There is a difference. Hitler thought perfection was reached through the Aryan race...I'm just saying that there is no such thing as perfection and the notion that something which exists is perfect is where the problems stem from.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Good point.

It is very possible, I do not have any experience of that as of yet but if we are it does further prove the point we should not be going on a path of perfection by ourselves especially?

It has always had dire consequences in the end if you look at history and I fear we are going in that direction yet again.

I didnt sign up for it but I cant help my mother being attracted to my father

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

I see your point but how can an imperfect person come up with a perfect idea?

If that were the case we would live in a society that did not have problems if perfection was achievable.

The other fact that we are seeing on the horizon and I say this example as it is in the headlines.

Banks, anyone who has studied the banking system will know it is unfair and i go no further as i do not want to sway the topic but this is history repeating itself yet again in trying to persue perfection.

Every time it gets a little bit better but it is not possible for an imperfect being to make something perfect.

I have ideas myself that I think might be perfect but I can guarantee someone on this site will shred me if I post some of them

It is the beauty and the curse of being human is it not?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
When you say lead to our destruction do you mean our death or extinction from this planet?

I think that the goal of perfection can be reached. Those who were unable to attain will fall away from those that rose above into perfection.

In this way those who were humans as we know them today would essentially be unfamiliar to the ones who were not as fit to progress.

I figure it will take a lot of effort and rising and collapsing of this so called perfection bubble before it actually rises to anything of worth. But I think it is truly a survival of the fittest.

In this I believe that it will cause the destruction as humankind as we know it today.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by snowen20]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Cool theory, it's a vanity/greed issue pretty much and it will cause further destruction as it has for thousands of years. Everyone wants more no matter how much of anything they have to begin with, there's nothing wrong with that as far as I see it. I guess that makes me shallow, oh well.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

When I am saying death and destruction.

I am meaning the death of many.

I do not think that there is one mind that can kill the whole planet to be honest because that would be too imperfect.

Im trying to keep to the context of my OP here without going to deep.

I am making a point based on what I have experienced through science in my life. I do have many views in terms of other theories but this particular one seems to fit for the physical world at least.

I still do not think that perfection can be reached by humans of this era as we are not perfect. The whole point of us being imperfect is what makes us human we need to communicate, share, develop, build, destroy etc.

If our DNA was to become perfect then I cannot say that I would rule that out as I am not perfect so I do not know that but at this time I can guarantee we wont reach it just yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join