It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTRAGE: NJ Cop Puts CBS 2 Cameraman in Chokehold

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Officer suspended over cameraman arrest in Newark

Booker said that special police officers, such as Shariff, receive training from the city and often work at churches and local businesses. Their uniforms are similar to those of regular police officers, but they are not police officers.

Police Forum

Special Officer

In New Jersey there is a recognized position known as the Special Officer. Special Officers are often utilized in beach communities as seasonal police officers. They have less training than regular officers but do possess certain police powers. The position can actually be broken down into two sub-parts. First, there is the Special Officer Class I. The Class I Special Officer goes through several weeks of training (depending on the structure of the training schedule) and is trained in motor vehicle laws, first aid, criminal law, use of force and other basic areas. He or she will generally be utilized for parking and traffic enforcement or to supplement a police presence in a certain area. Class I Special Officers do not carry firearms and have limited law enforcement powers.

There is also the Special Officer Class II. The Class II Special Officer goes through several months of training, usually at night, and is given all of the training listed above plus much of the training given to a regular police officer including firearms training. The Special Officer Class II has full police powers but only while on duty.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
How nice of CBS to use the all-caps term "OUTRAGE" when one of their own is arrested for vague reasons at a protest.

Just like all the times the MSM has clearly labeled previous stories, such as Amy Goodman's arrest, as "OUTRAGE"s.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You have to wonder at how someone becomes a 12 year veteran........ of a Reserve Force !.
Special officer Sharif , must enjoy the perks of the uniform without having to do any real police work.
What are the chances that he failed to join the force proper ,& settled for this instead.
This is like some bad Police Academy sequel .

There is a similar "police reserve" in my own country , doing the same thing ,..........giving the illusion that there are more cops on the beat.
Thankfully they can`t carry guns ........even after their "months" of training

S&F

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
pigs are the worst here in the nyc metro area. theyre uneducated thugs who walk a fine line between being criminals.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
We used to call these guys Auxiliary Officers. They where sworn in and just as responsible for their actions as any other officer. They worked part time and usualy unpaid. Most times they where used in unincorporated cities and towns. They must have had to change the name to 'lawyerize' them and keep the city free of responsibility because of actions like this!

Zindo

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Power hungry people seek power positions, this is why all governments big or small will fail if no check are put in place and accountability held.

I know more cops or ex-wifes of cops that say that most cops are power seekers and abusive and many other traits you do not want in power, the ones that are truly there to be peace keepers usually leave in frustration or are pushed out of the force by the corrupt ones.. the same goes for government.

Not saying there are good people in these positions but the majority isnt the good ones.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
His jacket identifies him as "NEWARK POLICE".

If he is wearing that jacket then he is either a police officer or is impersonating a police officer to the public.

If you ID yourself to the public as a police officer and are not a police officer how is the public supposed to know the difference.

They are being predators if they do that. This is wrong on so many levels.

Our country is getting smellier by the day. This stinks and anyone with a conscience cannot deny that. Fess up Semper (I respect you as a cop and a person) you know this is the wrong thing to do.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
That's unbelievable. The police work for the public and police by public consent, why can't they understand that? It's not much better here in the UK. There was that case recently where a chap in the UK was arrested for taking a photo of a policeman violating traffic laws.

I'm sure most people who join the police have very good intentions. However this does illustrate how the wrong types do get in, and what they think of people in general.

What a bully.

Oh and edit to add:

If the town in question want to employ non police personnel in lieu of the real thing, aren't they supposed to be clearly identified as such? Because watching the clip, I would have taken him for the real thing. Doesn't seem right to me.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by baughany]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Yes what is that indeed.
That is almost the bigger story here.
Is Hailiburton or Blackwater leasing out cops for hire?

DD I trust that you are on the case.

I think HalliBurton already owns half the world and most of it's contents nuts bolts and all, and y guess is, fake policeman kind of wannabe is a Homeland Security Guard? LoL>?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Non-police like this one wear identical uniforms as policemen because otherwise they would not be recognized as authority.

What is behind the uniform, an educated police officer or a part time bully, doesn't really matter. At the given moment authority must be exercised.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have to say, that seems flawed in many ways.

Can a less well trained and perhaps less well psychologically evaluated person be allowed to appear to hold the same authority as a police officer? I'd like to think not.

If they are not the genuine thing then we must not be duped into believing that they are.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

He was a police officer working security for the church. The church was paying the officer to work security. This happens in just about every state. It is the same as your local shopping mall paying police to patrol the mall during Christmas season. It works like this, a private company or business pays the department to have an officer to work an event. The department lets officers work the event as extra time (not over time). The department gets some of the money. The officers still fall under the rules and general orders of their department. This practice really isn't unusual. The department is still liable for the officers actions. This officer's conduct is wrong, not the practice of police working off duty security.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The truth is, whether you like it or not, the existing authority authorized this one to wear the uniform and exercise authority.

Now, we can speculate about this, but this is not really a matter of speculation, but of concrete action.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
i'd be filing charges and sueing the police department and the security firm. these thugs need to be arrested for assualt and put in jail, and i would try and get the largest amount of money in damages as possible. the citizens need to send a message to these out of control cop criminals. what next...just shoot anybody with a camera?? what scumbags.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
OK DangerDeath, I don't quite follow your point, but I won't argue with you.

I just hope next time you visit the Dentist you don't get the guy from Pizza Hut who got bored and decided to steal a Dentist outfit. Good luck!

edit for spelling

[edit on 28-10-2008 by baughany]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
In a situation when dentists that are (not just to-be) get their license because they paid their teachers at the university, not because they really learned the art - you better be prepared for that.

In complex societies things get loose after a while, because the demand for services rises, and there is not enough time, or will, or money, to train everyone properly. That is the reason for the outrage growth.

If the police is spread thin, they will first activate reservists, and then hire anyone who has will to at least "pretend" to be a policeman. But then, if you put such ones to a little pressure, like the thug who arrested the cameraman, they lose it because they're not trained, they don't know the procedure - they panic and get scared and resort to violence in most cases.

This is not simply up to the police department, the society (state) failed to maintain the proper police, which is now using rope and cardboard to "pretend" it's doing the job assigned.

The society is in crisis and it is a serious thing, citizen's complaints are not going to change anything. The whole society needs to be re-calibrated properly, and that may be impossible because there are too many incompetent people on key positions.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
OK, I was trying to make light of it!

But now you've amplified what you're saying, I think we're more or less in agreement.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath

This is not simply up to the police department, the society (state) failed to maintain the proper police, which is now using rope and cardboard to "pretend" it's doing the job assigned.

The society is in crisis and it is a serious thing, citizen's complaints are not going to change anything. The whole society needs to be re-calibrated properly, and that may be impossible because there are too many incompetent people on key positions.

Its a total shame that so few are hording most of the money. This wealth the top elite horde needs to go back into the country. We have enough wealth here for this kind of action to not take place.

So if these guys can get minimal training and wear the colors of the PD then what is going to stop some creep from arresting women and raping them because they did not go through all the checks and balances?

I am so fed up with what our nation has become, greedy and not caring enough for society as a whole.

I am a Firefighter and its against the law to impersonate a Firefighter, the same as impersonating a cop.

The reason being is so that someone that does not have the same values is deterred from getting hold of turnouts and going and getting people to do what they want for there own gain. Like going into a store and evacuating it in order to rob it. Or getting a woman to let you into her home to rape her. Or any other million reasons to do harm.

All because the rich horde there money through loopholes and not let the money do the work it needs to do for the countries good. When will we awaken and become enlightened enough to stop this action of the greedy aggressive no moral elite from not paying there fair share?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by baughany

Police are not here to serve and protect 'YOU'. . Read this link to explain what the law says on that subject! They are hired to protect the State or municipalities, not individuals!

www.firearmsandliberty.com...

Zindo

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The question of authority is crucial in society (here by society I mean state). The social, or better: political authority can be exercised only by those who are ready to kill or have already killed. No one who is not prepared for that can have this kind of authority. It is about ordering people what they must do.

There are two ways to implement this kind of authority. The primitive way is brute force, the sophisticated way is the law and legal procedures. Basically, it is the same (read Kafka). But legal societies spread this action of enforcing in time and place, while brute societies function in a manner of a martial law - instantly.

The essence is (in cases where authority is questioned, not in cases of civil lawsuit) that "the verdict comes first, then the trial" (Lewis Carroll). The authorities will act instinctively to protect themselves (and that may not be the reality case, it is sufficient that they "feel" threatened).

The instruments of state, such as police or army, are not the first ones who get corrupted, they just follow the politicians. Actually they are the first to suffer from corruption in institutions of state, because they get neglected. When the cuts in spending come in play, it is the police which will suffer, and then many policemen will resort to corruption in order to cash in what they lost because of underpayment. It is too obvious, isn't it? The number of policemen is minimized and when situation arises, they must muster deputies, who of course don't have the necessary training.

What I think is going on right now, given the evidence we saw on the ATS and elsewhere, is that the police is under (quiet, secret) orders to prevent any kind of uprising, even peaceful protests, from fear of spreading citizens' insurgence (the times of crisis). But, the police doesn't have the strength to do it properly, so the reaction is actually an overreaction. They're nervous...

They feel insecure because they: are insecure (economically, of course). The police is under enormous pressure from those who really are in crisis (the ones that are trying to bail-out themselves right now). This pressure is like a surplus electricity in an electrical apparatus (to use the analogy) and there are going to be many short circuits from now on.

These are just minor incidents, but people be careful, things aren't anymore as they are described in textbooks.

Facing such reality, your rights are more like suspended right now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join