It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Stevens of Alaska guilty on all counts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican senator in history and patriarch of Alaska politics, was convicted Monday of all seven felony charges for making false statements...

...Shortly before 4 p.m., the jury convicted the 84-year-old senator for making false statements by failing to report more than $250,000 in gifts from Bill Allen, the former head of Veco Corp., and other friends.

Source

He could go to jail for up to 35 years, though since he's not a commoner like you or me he'll probably get a reduced sentence.

He's also up for re-election and currently battling the Democratic candidate in Alaska for the office. Looks like Stevens was served an October Surprise of his own and might lose his seat, another seat lost to the Democrats in this race that Republicans can't afford to lose.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

One of Palin's friends and mentors. The longest currently serving Republican. And now a felon. Sounds about right.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 27-10-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

As a former alaska resident, I can vouch for the utter corruption that is rampant in the political system of AK.

The entire state was a family run organization until Palin defeated Mukowski a few years back.

Its bad... really bad... the nepotism is enough to make you sick...

this is no surprise to any alaskan resident.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by davion

One of Palin's friends and mentors. The longest currently serving Republican. And now a felon. Sounds about right.

ColoradoJens

This is the guy that also said he'd resign from the Senate if they took out Alaska's pork barrel projects like the Bridge to Nowhere and instead transferred the money to help Katrina relief in Louisiana.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Is there a requirement for a certain number of jowels each Congressman must have? Are jowels a matter of pride for soft, perfumed rich guys?

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

I have to ask you...do Alaskans like Palin as much as prior polls have indicated? As you can see on many threads here...people hate her...HATE. I'm just curious as to what most people feel about her there.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
She actually was pretty popular in Alaska. Mostly because she did end the Murkowski dynasty...

However, since she has become governor, more and more "questionable" details have surfaced about the way she conducts business.

If by chance she doesn't not become the next VP, she will have lots of amends to make when she gets back up there... (at least, this is what my friends that still live up there tell me...)

When people think about the controversial firing of the chief of the troopers in Alaska, Alaskan's would agree, this is how the government works up there... We never considered anything like that a HUGE deal... questionable, yes, but something to make a big deal about? nah...

Its just another day in politics in Alaska.

When people think about the stories they are hearing about how she conducted business up north, the culture up there is completely different... most Alaskans consider themselves independent, and don't really think themselves as part of the united states.

anyway, thats my Alaskan experience... Agree or disagree with how things are up there, its how it is...

Its kind of similar to a "cult" experience in a way...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reply to nj2day

Yes, Alaska is one of our more corrupt states. It's just so out of view, you know? Stevens is a bum; check out this article (I started a thread on it whlie back) regarding Stevens trying to blame his wife - amazing.

washingtonpost.com 10/16/08

"...Stevens dutifully fell on her sword -- or attempted to -- for her husband. "I was going to be in charge of the renovations," she explained to the jury. "Ted was too busy. . . . He is the classic workaholic." But her story held together poorly. She claimed not to know that the people doing the work on her house were from Veco -- but she had one of her husband's Senate staffers send Veco the kitchen cabinet knobs she had bought at Restoration Hardware. Why didn't the Stevenses receive bills for the work being done? "We had a problem with the mail after 9/11," Catherine explained."

Guess selling out your wife didn't work. I wonder what SHE thinks of your character now?

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Thanks for answering. I was just curious about it. I know that people make allegations here about how things work up there. Also i figured that the political climate would be much different. It's separated from the rest of the country so i figured that would be the case.

One more question for you....if you don't mind.

Do you think that she has been made out to be this evil woman even though she is not? Or do you think that she was bad all along?

Sorry for the questions...but it's nice to ask someone who actually now's something about Alaska's politics.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Hrm... that is a loaded question :p

I don't think that she is as bad as the media makes her out to be... I do think she is in way above her head.. as she has had absolutely no experience in national politics... heck she just barely got her feet wet in state politics.

While she was major of Wasilla (my wife's town), she did do everything she could do to better the lives of the residents... all those earmarks you hear so much about actually improved the quality of life up there... and she was actually trying to get another bridge built across the Knik arm, which would have bridged Wasilla to Anchorage. (Most people in wasilla commute over an hour and a half to get to work in anchorage everyday).

When she took office in Juneau, she did clean up much of the corruption from the previous gov, got rid of alot of excess spending, and did go head to head with the special interest groups that had the previous gov. in their back pockets.

However, the biggest problem anyone has with her up there, is the methods by which she did these things. It wasn't a nice shake up... she kinda went in, gun's blazing, shot first and asked questions later. When she fired the entire staff to the gov. she hired almost all of them back...

She's not "Evil", but she's not as positive as the spin would like you to think... if you are a guy who thinks "the ends justify the means", than you would love her...

I think her biggest problem is the poor timing she had getting into national politics, and the fact that she is completely over her head. She needed more time to prepare, and deal with her personal affairs first.

hope that answers your question...

edit: I did forget to mention that while she was running for office, I witnessed the most negative campaign i have ever seen... ever... She is an excellent mudslinger... I remember wanting to hang myself over all the obscene ads I kept hearing... but apparently they worked, cause she got elected..

[edit on 27-10-2008 by nj2day]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to David:

Thanks for answering. I was just curious about it. I know that people make allegations here about how things work up there.

Sorry for the questions...but it's nice to ask someone who actually now's something about Alaska's politics.

David, please take time to re read this and think why it is such an outragrously absurd statement I can't even think of where to begin to refute it. Please, have a conversation with nj2day and nj2day only, then form your everlasting opinion as nj2day is the only current real source of information from Alaska (no offense, nj2day - seems David has deemed you the local expert)

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
David, please take time to re read this and think why it is such an outragrously absurd statement I can't even think of where to begin to refute it. Please, have a conversation with nj2day and nj2day only, then form your everlasting opinion as nj2day is the only current real source of information from Alaska (no offense, nj2day - seems David has deemed you the local expert)

ColoradoJens

Meh, I tried to give my answer completely unbiased, and as "real" as I could... without interjecting national politics.

I can understand why he asked the question, the political climate is so vastly different than anywhere else in the U.S.

Alaskans feel kinda bastardized by the U.S. government... they don't understand how different it is up there...

People like the "Alaskan independence party" that advocate succession from the union is actually not as "wacko" up there as it sounds down here...

Its a fair question, and I hope I answered it fairly...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Thanks for answering once again. As you know i consider you the ultimate and only source on all things Sarah Palin. Lol

Was just curious as to what people up there actually thought of her. I know how people feel about her here. Just curious as to what Alaskans feelings were toward her....ya know...since she is their governor.

As far as i know...there are few people that post on these boards that live or have lived there and i thought you would have a better idea on how things work up there. Just wanted your opinion on it and thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
no problem, anytime

I'm not the be-all end-all for all things alaskan... but like I said, it makes sense on why people want the "feel" for the political climate up there...

its so "out of sight, out of mind" most of the time.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

Yes a real black eye for republicans but dems have had their share of scandals... partisan punches aside...

He's also up for re-election and currently battling the Democratic candidate in Alaska for the office.

At what point do people not know when to stop. This crook needs to step down anyways... he's 84 freaking years old!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Nah, he will never step down... He's like that lol

The sad thing is, even as a convicted felon, the state of Alaska might re-elect him anyway...

I don't foresee him being in the senate for too long though... Congress has the ability to un-seat him if they find it nessesary...

I do have a tingling feeling that he will be pardoned as bush leaves the white house.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Now we know what Palin will be doing after November 4 - campaigning again. Look out D.C., it ain't over! After all, she has to have somewhere to wear those suits.

[edit on 27/10/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Hip hip......HOORAY!

Sorry, but I will celebrate for every politician that ends up being convicted of a series of felonies for corruption. There is a lot more that needs to be done. I would love to see most of congress face the same fate.

I do wonder if Stevens will be on Bush's upcoming list of pardons though. Now that I think about it, I will be surprised if he doesn't get pardoned. This could be the best possible time for Stevens to get convicted.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Actually I was wondering if that was why he wanted such a speedy trial. He knew he'd be found guilty and figured Bush would bail him out. Sneaky for an old guy.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This case just enforces the point that we need strict term limits in the Senate and House. DC is full of guys like this. They have been holding office for so long that the act of serving constituents becomes secondary to serving the Lobbyists and donors. I say, two terms and your out. Thank you and leave the corruption at the door.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join