It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 8, Shoots Self With Uzi at Gun Show

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Aggie Man

What business did an 8-year-old have shooting an Uzi?

Absolutely none. I think there have been enough people already stating that, quite a few of them gun right advocates.

Was he exercising his constitutional right?

No, his father was exercising stupidity. You're familiar with that, I'm sure. Your
insinuation does the same thing.

TheRedneck

Why the hostility? Yeah, I didn't read the previous posts. Why? Because I don't have to. I made a 2 sentence remark that gave my opinion in a nutshell (via rhetorical questions).

*snip*

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Aggie Man]

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/28/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Why the hostility? Yeah, I didn't read the previous posts. Why? Because I don't have to. I made a 2 sentence remark that gave my opinion in a nutshell (via rhetorical questions).

Why the hostility?

Mere moments earlier, just above where you posted, I had made a statement about generalizing this senseless travesty. And when I refreshed, what do I see? I see you, generalizing in a two-sentence, insulting post. You're right, you do not have to read every post in the thread to give your opinion. You only have to do that when you do not wish to make a silly sweeping generalization that tries to blame your political opponents for the death of a child.

Surprisingly, I found your next post enlightening. Isn't it amazing what a little time learning what you're posting about does? So if I offended you, I apologize...

... for giving as good as I get.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thank you. Apology accepted. Forgive me, as I sometimes drop into a thread, only to give my 2 cents...sometimes I want to post more, but time limits me, so I will make a small remark and come back later to fill in the gaps.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Civility in the face of adversity is a virtue, friend (and one I should perhaps brush up on). I salute you and hope there are no hard feelings.

to you.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

reply to post by TheRedneck

Bah!

I was hoping for a gun showdown
And you give me civility!?!

Am I going to have to forge some letters, pretending to be the other person!?

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It seems as if there is a DA up in arms over this happening, they intend to find fault in the act of even letting the young boy hold the gun, let alone shoot it.

DA: Criminal charges possible in boy's Uzi death

Story here:
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=At5hHoxKJflGaMNrRT9qtfRvzwcF

Looks as if there will be some kind of legal battle after this particular incident. And maybe something does need to be done with their local gun laws...IMHO.....

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Uhhhh... Yes, i do . You realize this was a 6 page thread about a boy with an uzi and you comment on my anal pumpkin carving phobias?? LOL!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

I expected such news, thanks for posting it. This was indeed an example of criminal neglect, at the very least.

And maybe something does need to be done with their local gun laws...IMHO.....

I'll agree, as long as that something you mention has anything to do with enforcement. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that this incident was most likely already in violation of some gun laws... not to mention common sense...

--------------------------------

reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Sorry, Lucid, looks like you're gonna have to refund those ticket sales...

TheRedneck

[edit on 28-10-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This is my first time putting in my two cents on something, just joined up, but I gotta say this. All the media attention on this incident, but where is the outrage when it comes to children being issued licenses to drive and the deaths contributed to cars accidents?
This is the type of outlandish, MSM fear stirring that has and continues to destroy our constitutional rights.
Just my opinion, but while it's still almost legal to think, I wanted to put it out there.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

Hey Tinman, "Welcome aboard the ATS Train!!"

All the media attention on this incident, but where is the outrage when it comes to children being issued licenses to drive and the deaths contributed to cars accidents?

Though I understand your point of view, it is hard too imagine a child coming of age to drive and not allowing. I guess what I am trying to say, "Accidents happen, but if you put a child in the seat of a car behind the steering wheel or give them a loaded gun with out teaching them respect for both the car or the gun, it is a recipe for disaster."

You have to learn to drive, the do's and don t's, but the same circumstances also lead to gun facts, regulations and respects of them and others.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This was an accident, plan and simple, accidents are in fact moments of stupidity. What upsets me is that the MSM and it's ultra left stance brings up these sad instances when it envolves something they detest, like guns.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5
Repeal the 2nd amendment now. Before we all kill each other. The person who disagrees is wrong, no matter what argument they make. They will say how will we protect ourselves, or not all gun owners are idiots I disagree. My dad was a cop and my brothers and I played with his guns all the time it is a miracle no one was killed. I am forty now and would not let a neighbor of mine own guns if I had the choice. I find it unbelievable that we can own guns and not smoke pot in this country. CRAZY. Does any one know how many gun owners are killed by the weapon they own? Or the family members of that person.

This guy knows what's up. A star for you.

This thread PROVES beyond any reasonable doubt that the citizen of U.S. of A should give up their rights to own firearms.

It would be foolish and idiotic to think otherwise. Don't be like this guy who killed his own son because of his foolishnes.

"Gun safety"? That's the most ironic misnomer of the century.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by spacebagel]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMaster

Typical American assumption.

See, I'm an Aussie and we didn't have a revolution, but we have the same freedom of speech you have, we have a more democratically elected government than you have and we have far, far stricter gun laws than you have...(we also have universal health care and social security)

Why is it that you equate the availability of guns with the right to free speech?

The UK, the country against which you fought that revolution, has far, far stricter gun laws than the US and yet it is also a democracy with freedom of speech...

How about that...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Everyone, please remember...

Some things bear repeating.

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Stay on Topic – Please Review This Link.

Let's have a little civility and decorum, please.

Adherence to this simple request is expected.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

"This accident was truly a mystery to me," said Bizilj, director of emergency medicine at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford, Connecticut. "This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened."

Well try this one on for size. Let's replace the 8-year old with a grown woman and replace the Uzi with another IMI product (I'm sure some of you have seen this before), I realise it's not a perfect analogy, but what do you think will happen with the recoil?...

uk.youtube.com...

edit: bloody yt links. Just do it the old-fashioned way...
[edit on 28-10-2008 by HowlrunnerIV]

edit to add:

reply to post by Tinman67

Well, I'm assuming that if a doctor (or similar medical professional) put his 8-year old in the driver's seat and sat in the back seat (or in another, following vehicle) while a driving instructor sat in the passenger seat, said medical professional might find themselves un-licenced forthwith, so would said driving instructor. In fact, I'm fairly sure no-one is likely to enter into said situation.

Oh, wait, you meant why are 16+ year olds allowed to get licences, right? Well, don't you have something called "Driver-Ed" at school in the US?

'cause we can't get Probational licences until we're eighteen years old (although Learner's can come earlier) and both types come with considerable restrictions compared with full licences. I'm pretty sure that the various state laws in the US have similar restrictions for newly-licenced drivers.

Not much on analogy, really. In fact little more than a red-herring, if not a straw to grasp at.

Of far more concern should be the rate of quad-bike and trike accidents amongst minors...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HowlrunnerIV

Why is it that you equate the availability of guns with the right to free speech?

Because both are in the same document that our government is built on. You destroy one part of a contract, you destroy the entire contract. Simple contract law, and make no mistake, the Constitution is a contract, between the people who have the power and the government who needs some power to operate.

But here again, to equate this criminal lapse of good sense to gun control is like trying to outlaw cars because one driver had a wreck while speeding. Tinman67 has a very valid point: this is being sensationalized simply to further the agenda to remove one right from our Constitution. And should one right be able to be removed without proper procedure, all of the rights enumerated therein can suffer the same fate.

I'm very glad you have it so wonderful. We tend to like our arrangement as well. The difference is that we are fighting to preserve our way of life. I assume you would do the same if the things that you hold dear were threatened?

TheRedneck
P.S.: Welcome Tinman67, good to have you on board!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here is what info I got from a member of the range. The boy was a son of a doctor. The father owned the Micro Uzi and the oldest child 16 was suppose to watch the 8 year old shoot the gun. The Micro Uzi was a legal machine gun on a form 4. It is what people in the NFA world call a "bolt gun". Not a factory produced IMI Uzi, but a converted (pre-86) semi auto. The child was shooting from the hip, and the gun rose up and he lost control during a burst. I have owned a factory IMI Micro Uzi, and at 6 foot 250 pounds I could not contol it very well with a stock! Why in the hell the father let this child shoot this weapon is beyond me. The press is all over this because they love the word "Uzi". Had the child fell off a ATV this would not be national news.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I have never fired a fully automatic weapon, I cannot say how difficult it is to handle. I am pretty certain by the testimonies they are not very easy at all.

Just reaffirms my stance that full-auto is unnecessary for my needs anyways. If I am surrounded by the enemy, I may have a different opinion. But we currently live in peaceful times, I do not see the necessity.

I figured he was using one of the smaller versions.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

You know, there isn't really very much I can say to all that that's particularly rational or informative, except to say "*snip*, but some smart people can be unbelievably *snip* dumb!"

This is why God gave us the question "What's the WORST that can happen?"

The answer, Doc, is that your 8-year old could shoot himself in the head.

Here's a lesson in situational analysis. The kid was shooting a full-auto Uzi pistol FROM THE HIP? Are you insane? Obviously, yes. Because your statement "that [you] really don't know why it happened" shows that you have no ability to analyse a situation and extrapolate the possible outcomes.

Hmm, nine-millimetre, full-auto, short-barrel, firing from the hip...what are the probable actions of the pistol?

Er, that the barrel will climb, that the 8-year old will not have the strength to control it and because the *snip* thing doesn't have a stock to bury in the kid's shoulder it will rotate in his hand, leaving it pointing where, exactly?

The father may be speaking from a bad case of shock, which is why he's so unemotional, but he showed a complete lack of understanding of a gun he apparently owned.

Not to continually go back to my country of birth, but in Australia a firearms licence can only be issued after the applicant has passed a 12-week TAFE (college!) course.

To quote Gump:

"Stupid is as Stupid does."

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/29/2008 by maria_stardust]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join