It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 8, Shoots Self With Uzi at Gun Show

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
God the mods are belligerent on this thread.

And that dad's words seem just generally false, hackneyed and stereotypical.

What kind of legacy does an 8-year-old leave? Nothing, of course, unless he was Mozart.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer . . . Anyway, this guy doesn't need to be prosecuted. Don't you think that having to bear the guilt of this event is enough? Plus why waste taxpayers' money incarcerating him when he isnt of immediate threat to others; and there is no element of rehabilitation. Punishment isn't a good enough reason in this case...

We have no reason to believe this man is feeling any guilt. Any reasonable father in his shoes would, but any reasonable father would not encourage an 8 y o to fire an automatic weapon in the first place, let alone stand 10' back photographing him as he did it. Anyone who's turned a garden-hose on full without holding it has seen an example of what an automatic will try to do once you start shooting.

Lets turn this around. Would you agree there is a similarity between this incident and a mother leaving her baby in a car until it dies of heat exhaustion? (It can take less than an hour. We've had enough cases of that in Australia over the last few years for all mothers to know the dangers, but it still keeps happening.)

If your wife allowed your baby to die that way, what would your reaction be?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If I gave an 8 YEAR OLD CHILD a loaded fully automatic MACHINE PISTOL I would expect nothing less than for him to fatally wound himself.
Not only is it completely obvious that an 8 year old cannot handle the recoil of such a weapon, but it should ALSO be equally as obvious that this very short barreled automatic weapon can easily flip itself backwards and shoot you if you don't hang on tight enough.

This story makes me sad and I want to throw up.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
bloody hell...what kind of idiot would even take a kid to a gun show. never mind let them fire one.... guns are designed to do one thing, KILL. they have no place in a civilised society. untill people realise this, tragedys like this will always happen

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Letting an 8 year old use a real UZI is insane. How’s a child at that age meant to handle the recoil of an automatic? IMO this should have been a foreseen event.

At 8 years old, your not able to understand the danger of guns, doesn't matter how supervised they are, he’s 8 for god sake, he could of shot anybody without thinking of consequences.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There is a conversion for the UZI to .22LR and it makes me believe that might have been how this tragedy began unfortunately.
I would hope that between the gun instructor AND the Parent that the gun probably wasn't intended to have been set to auto and was mistakenly left full auto by the previous shooter.

Unfortunately now all of the anti gun advocates are ranting to make them illegal but you have to realize that alot more people die in car accidents per year than gun related deaths.

Based upon that principle alone, perhaps we should ban cars too ?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImShrike
With respect for all american people here, but this can happen only in USA.... Nobody here in Italy think to give a UZI to a 8 y.o. children, but in United States, the land of opportunity (to death) anyone can find a weapon everywhere...also in a fair open to minor....

I am pretty sure there are some eight year olds with AK-47s in Africa that might not agree with you.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
8 years old. That is 4th grade. I wouldnt let my child play a video game with shooting in it at that age much less hold a real gun. Maybe i am overprotective as a parent. I got nervous when my kids ( 10 and 12) asked to carve a pumpkin this year. To let them shoot an uzi at one?? No, I simply cannot fathom that.

It seems the father was perhaps caught up in the "macho-ness" of his son holding a firearm about to obliterate a pumpkin. Got to capture that Kodak moment. With that.. took his eyes off his son who could not handle the weapon. Why? Because he was 8 and should never have had it in the first place. It is simply common sense. Logical. I dont feel this is a gun control issue. It was at a gun show. This child had permission from a parent to fire. This is a sad case of an extremely poor parenting decision with the most tragic result possible.

As for the video of the father, * sigh *
i dont even know what to say. I would be beating myself up for this.. i don't " get" how he can hold it together for an interview and seem so..... unmoved.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Looks like another person that should of lived there life out died for no reason, other than americas obsession with violence. Guns are violence period, when will americans learn that.

Sad story, and i just wonder how the amily feel now, probably they still love the 2nd amendment, though knowing americans.

Stupid is, as stupid does.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Guns are violence.

That's why we need them.

It is unfortunate, but when our overlords are armed to the teeth (is this not the case for you?) then the public needs a defense against potential tyranny.

I am of course leaving out the hunting aspect, as I am a vegetarian

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SugarJ
8 years old. That is 4th grade. I wouldnt let my child play a video game with shooting in it at that age much less hold a real gun. Maybe i am overprotective as a parent. I got nervous when my kids ( 10 and 12) asked to carve a pumpkin this year. To let them shoot an uzi at one?? No, I simply cannot fathom that.

I cannot fathom it either.

You sound like a sane, caring mother to me!

Except for the video game part, and the pumpkin part

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have to say something here.

This is of course a tragedy, and a needless one at that. A child is dead that did not have to die. But when did it become 'chik' to immediately assume that whatever one person in America does is applicable to all of us?

Without naming names, I have seen several posts in this thread that appear to blame all Americans for this terrible event. Is it something in the water everywhere else that makes you see us all as gun-toting trigger-happy bumbling idiots? Do you have that much propaganda against us? Or is it that you disagree with how we run our affairs to such a degree that you are blinded by your hatred?

Please, this is one event that happened among 300,000,000 people. That's a pretty small event taken country-wide. You do have statistics over there, right? Math? you know, fiddling with the number-thingys?

Or does it somehow make you feel better to spread blame that far? If so, all I can say is... sheesh... get a life...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I am an owner of firearms for 28 years. I attend a gun show here in NY. every year. Never have I seen anyone hand a loaded weapon to anyone. How did this happen?

When I did buy ammo at the show, I was given a receipt and told it would be at the door when I left the show. They never gave ammo to anyone. Also, all the firearms I was allowed to handle had trigger locks...

And, I had to show my drivers license, gun permit and gun registration in order to buy ammo.

How could this happen? This is a horrible, horrible tragity.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have let a 12 year old shoot an SKS, no danger if you take adequate precautions, including having only one round in the magazine and shooting from a bench rest.

But allowing an 8 year old to shoot a mini Uzi on full auto just doesn't sound wise, an MP5 perhaps if he was older, something he can hold on to, but a weapon such as the mini Uzi will come right back on you, twisting backwards in the hand under recoil.

In that situation the tendency is to freeze and keep you finger on the trigger as the muzzle works its way back around to face you........

This is tragic, but firearms are by their very nature dangerous, and the moment you get complacent, people get hurt.

I can't imagine what torments from hell the dad is going through, and I doubt the firearms instructor is doing much better.

In this situation, everyone loses, why don't we leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
One question comes to mind. What business did an 8-year-old have shooting an Uzi? Was he exercising his constitutional right?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

LOL !! Hmmm ya think having them walk around in bubblewrap is over the top then too?

reply to post by TheRedneck

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Anyone who makes a blanket statement like that is pretty ignorant. If the entire country was in agreement on guns, license laws, the NRA,etc. we wouldnt have gun control issues/debates exploding in threads like this. To blame this event on a COUNTRY is a tad extreme and loaded with "off the mark assumptions. "

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Simply an inexcusable lack of judgment on the instructor and father's part. Why would you let your child hold a gun, let alone an Uzi, at 8 year old? Then to let them FIRE IT?! I'm all for gun rights, but incidents like this makes me wonder if some people deserve that right.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

What business did an 8-year-old have shooting an Uzi?

Absolutely none. I think there have been enough people already stating that, quite a few of them gun right advocates.

Was he exercising his constitutional right?

No, his father was exercising stupidity. You're familiar with that, I'm sure. Your
insinuation does the same thing.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I wholeheartedly agree. And this isn't even a gun rights issue. an 8-year-old DOES NOT have any gun rights and should not have been allowed to handle this type of gun. Now, when I was 8, my father deemed me "mature" enough to begin to handle firearms; however, I started out with a single shot, blot action .22 rifle and had to prove my mastery of that before moving up to increasingly powerful guns. At 8, I doubt that even a war-torn Afghan child can muster the strength to handle this gun. Bad parenting!

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Aggie Man]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join