It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 8, Shoots Self With Uzi at Gun Show

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
My heart goes out to the family who lost a child due to poor judgment . For a parent to bury a child must be horrid . I almost lost one of mine in a car wreak.

I personally am pro gun . And I was going hunting with the family when i was 8 . Ducks a 410 shot gun deer it was a 243 or a 30/30 .

But my family took great pains to instruct me in the proper way to handle a firearm . The learning process started years before with a BB gun then slowly to a 22 then to more powerful ones the first shot out of a 30/30 Grand paw explained how it would kick and stood on the left side of me to make sure it didnt kick to high and i drop it .

I personally do not believe the child was prepared for the discharge nor was there proper safe guards put in place the child should have never had been allowed to shoot it on full auto till it was certain he could handle the recoil . My children were taught at a young age about guns 8 years old they were shooting . But when we were not shooting the guns were locked up except a pistol that was kept in bed room my bedside desk was off limits to them and locked till i got home .

If they are accustomed to them and shown the proper way to handle a fire arm the likelihood of injury or death is minimized .

Knock on wood 5 generations and all the cousins and aunts and uncles pushing near 200 almost every one has at least one fire arm . The only fire arm injury in the family has been in active duty being shot by German Japanese vc or Iraqi .

There is no substitute for care , safety and training. For Gods sake teach your children about guns or hide them and use trigger locks or sell them you cant replace a child's life .

Grand Paw always told me never assume a gun is unloaded even if you just unloaded it a evil spirit may have put a round back in . So far the saying has worked .

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad
reply to post by red 5

If your dad left loaded weapons laying around talk to your dad not me.

I'm tired of idiots ruling the world.

I was not talking to you. But since you take this soo personally, do you know for a fact, FOR A FACT. that your children do not play with guns? Because every person whose children killed themselves or others said the same thing. THAT EXCACT SAMS THING. My Dad never knew we played with his guns and he was a two time Vietnam Army vet. He hid his stuff too. And BTW the Idiots that you say rule this country are your idiots. None of them have passed a ban on guns. So put yourself in the idiot category..

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

And BTW the Idiots that you say rule this country are your idiots. None of them have passed a ban on guns. So put yourself in the idiot category..

You weren't specifically talking to me either, but since you posted ignorance on a site devoted to denying ignorance, I think I'll respond anyway.

Check out www.google.com... . It lists 10 separate gun bans in the United States from 1976 to 2008. Took me about 3 minutes to find it, and it covers both Republican and Democratic administrations and Congresses.

... it's called 'research'...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
tragic choice on the fathers part to let a child use a weapon like this but he also could have given him the keys to the family car and killed himself and others too..

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and this is a prime example why knowing how to properly operate a gun is key to being safe with them.

Guns, cars, drugs ( illegal and legal) are all double edged swords.. being safe with them is understanding them and having the proper education about them.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Wow so all guns are banned? Hmm I wander how this kid shot himself. I guess I should have made myself more clear. No total ban of guns and no ban of all guns in any one place in the U.S.A. How’s that? And since you threw in the $.02 I think your av and nickname say enough for you republitard way of thinking. Just keep gettin er done cowboy.

And I am sure that not one person will do any time for this CRIME. And before someone says that the ends is the punishment, think about a person who drinks and drives and kills their own child.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
My utmost sympathy to the family. That said, how stupid can you get? An 8 year old should just be being introduced to firearms. I was about 8 when I was introduced to firearms. It was an ancient .22 single shot rifle. I was allowed to train on it when on the family farm out in the sticks. After two years of training and drilling in firearm safety, my grandfather’s old critter getter became mine. It was an amazingly accurate Winchester, and I regret that I no longer have it. It sat in my closet, along with ammo from the time I was 10 until my graduation. It was cleaned and oiled monthly, whether used or not. In my teens I got a shotgun and became quite proficient with it. At no time were firearms ever presented to me as something ‘fun’ or a means to be big and bad. Guns were always a tool. A means to an important end. A way to obtain food or protect the family if necessary. Why a parent would consider putting their 8 year old in even the proximity of an automatic weapon is beyond my comprehension.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and this is a prime example why knowing how to properly operate a gun is key to being safe with them.

Cars are not designed to kill, in fact they are designed not to. What about guns?

[edit on 27-10-2008 by red 5]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

I have the same story. Given a .22 at ten and took gun safety in Wyoming. that was required for most of us at the time, and from your post you never shot a prairie dog with that gun, because when we did it was portrayed as fun. And it was not to eat or protect anything. I would also ask if there was an adult present every time you cleaned and or used that weapon and if you had access to it at all times? Quite dangerous I think, this army of juveniles we have in our country.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
First of all, Condolences to the family. Second of all, I cannot believe this happened in the third hardest state on firearms owners. I go to Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot in Kentucky about every other year. Its the largest of its kind in this country and it has a perfect safety record. Cannons, Howitzers, Anti-tank rifles are all used there. The person who allowed this to happen on the fireing line will loose all his ownership privilages as well as loss of his Class 3 ticket. Even at a show, Its against the law for a minor to even touch a class 3 weapon in Mass. Ole' Teddy will jump out of his hosptial bed to scream about this foolish incident. This was utter stupidity!.

Zindo

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

Wow so all guns are banned? Hmm I wander how this kid shot himself. I guess I should have made myself more clear. No total ban of guns and no ban of all guns in any one place in the U.S.A. How’s that?

Nope, still no cigar. Check out Washington DC before the recent overturning of their gun ban by the SCOTUS. For all practical purposes, it was strictly illegal for anyone not an on-duty police officer to keep any firearm unless it was either locked away and unloaded or disassembled (preventing it from being used of self-defense in either case).

Good try though. you get an 'A' for effort.

And since you threw in the $.02 I think your av and nickname say enough for you republitard way of thinking. Just keep gettin er done cowboy.

Hmmm, I see you're new around these here parts.

What we have here is a failure to research. Here's the link to my member page where you can check out your 'facts'. I'll let my previous posts speak for themselves. I won't even mention that I am voting for Obama for President this year.

We have a slightly higher expectation of honest, informed debate around here. Yee-haw!

And I am sure that not one person will do any time for this CRIME. And before someone says that the ends is the punishment, think about a person who drinks and drives and kills their own child.

I wouldn't be so sure. A child has died, and if negligence can be proven (and I am fairly certain it can be), there is actually a very good chance that someone will be prosecuted and severely punished.

Although, being a father myself, I can't imagine a lifetime of jail being anywhere near the punishment the father already inflicted on himself. Lose a child and see what it's like... no, no, I didn't say that. That is too horrible a fate to wish on anyone, even rhetorically. That's a lifetime of pure torment. Is that enough to satisfy your lust for revenge?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

Well, no prairie dogs down here. I realize that they're a nuisance up there and that there's no real comparable critter here in Texas, though coyotes are making a comeback. I admit to shooting some game just for the experience, though I wouldn't call it 'fun', and my father always made sure I knew that I really should be eating whatever I killed. There seems to be a big difference between the way we were brought up, and the idea that an 8 year old is ready for a freaking Uzi.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

Cars kill more people per year than guns in the United States...

But Cars are designed to save lives...

Don't let the engineers know that guns are having a better time at saving lives then the cars they're designing.

I'm just commenting on how ridiculous an analogy I think cars to guns is.

Guns were introduced for one purpose and one purpose only. To bring a quicker and more efficient stop to an opposing human force. It first started off with sticks and stones, moved up to spears and swords, and then to guns.

I am Pro-gun. I am also pro-safety. The best gun control is NOT legislation, it's education.

Education is what is going to save lives and that goes for most car accidents as well. Legislation doesn't save people, education saves people. (I think that should be a new saying)

No matter what you're always going to have criminals with guns... and what do criminals do but break the law? So good luck banning guns from criminal use. All gun control laws do is make more criminals. Those are bad statistics, especially for election year.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Nope, still no cigar. Check out Washington DC before the recent overturning

Good try though. you get an 'A' for effort.

I think the word overturned says it for me

Hmmm, I see you're new around these here parts.

Nope I think I have been here longer than you.

What we have here is a failure to research. Here's the link to my member page where you can check out your 'facts'. I'll let my previous posts speak for themselves. I won't even mention that I am voting for Obama for President this year.

a lot of people are saying that, we will see how many do.

Lose a child and see what it's like... no, no, I didn't say that. That is too horrible a fate to wish on anyone, even rhetorically. That's a lifetime of pure torment. Is that enough to satisfy your lust for revenge?

Oh wow you have such a fatherly air about you. spouting your unquestionable wisdom. I should bow to you. But before you say something like that to some other person I will let you know that My 17 year old daughter was hit and killed by a truck pulling a horse trailer three years ago. And her mother and two sisters have never been the same, But since you brought it up the truck was equipped with a lot of government regulated safety features. It was a ford F250 and you can research the features if you would like. How many government regulated safety features were on the gun this father put in the hand of his child?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

Red, you seem to be making the assumption that government regulations can somehow make up for common sense and parental responsibility. Now we all know that accidents will happen 'time and chance happen to all men'. But we also know that if you 'raise up a child in the way that he should go, when he is old he shall not depart from it'. People are going to make mistakes, and the gov will never stop that no matter how draconian the laws they make. The focus here should be on giving parents the tools they need to properly train their children, not on an ever increasing government power to regulate.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
reply to post by red 5

All gun control laws do is make more criminals. Those are bad statistics, especially for election year.

Shattered OUT...

Well then with that logic we should not have any laws.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The question of age is ambiguous . I have gone rabbit hunting with a 10 yo who had more gun safety brains than some 40 yo . The idea should be intelligence and knowledge not just age .

Ever read the back of a new fan belt it says TURN Motor off before replacing belt . Some one had to have tried it or they wouldn't have put a warning against it . That statement describes the IQ of some people . Now are we to regulate everything from every one to protect the few who would try the change a fan belt while the car us running .

I dont like my rights being infringed upon because of a fan belt changer type doing something stupid with a fire arm that hurt some one out of stupidity .

Where is the personal responsibility one person screws up and all law abiding citizens have to pay for careless acts or violence by either emotionally unstable or emotionally stunted people . The latter is what we have jails for not petty pot heads .

Having children = locking gun cabinet or locking closet . If I EVER EVER played with a gun it would have been to the wood shed for me . And I can be certain my children never played with guns either . Locked up till shooting .

I still feel sorry for this family some one should have had the brains to avoid this the gun owner the father should have known it wasn't safe .

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostinthedarkness

Having children = locking gun cabinet or locking closet . If I EVER EVER played with a gun it would have been to the wood shed for me . And I can be certain my children never played with guns either . Locked up till shooting .

So where do you keep the key? are you sure the children could not find it? DEAD sure? My dad wuold have said the same thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5
Repeal the 2nd amendment now. Before we all kill each other. The person who disagrees is wrong, no matter what argument they make. They will say how will we protect ourselves, or not all gun owners are idiots I disagree. My dad was a cop and my brothers and I played with his guns all the time it is a miracle no one was killed. I am forty now and would not let a neighbor of mine own guns if I had the choice. I find it unbelievable that we can own guns and not smoke pot in this country. CRAZY. Does any one know how many gun owners are killed by the weapon they own? Or the family members of that person.

If you're going to go down the road that you went (how many gun owners are killed ...) then take five more minutes and do the research. Wait, I'll do it for you, kinda sort. Interesting facts

Then your argument might actually have merit. Otherwise it reeks of ignorance.

Here's a fact for you, paid for by the liberals of our fine country:
Analysis of Swiss gun laws

Ordinary American citizens use guns competently. Every 48 seconds, someone uses a handgun to defend himself against a crime (according to Florida State University's Gary Kleck, using data collected by liberal pollster Peter Hart in a poll paid for by the anti-gun lobby).

Regular American citizens do not shoot each other in moments of passion; the vast majority of such shootings are perpetrated by thugs with a record of violence and substance abuse.

And contrary to the claims of the anti-gun lobby, Americans are not so careless that they cannot be trusted with potentially dangerous objects like guns. Gun accidents account for less than 2% of the nation's 92,000 accidental deaths annually.

Suicides have little to do with gun availability. Japan has no guns, while Switzerland is deluged with every gun in the book, and both nations have the same suicide rate.

Or how about this theory, god forbid:

Cultural conditions, not gun laws, are the most important factors in a nation's crime rate. Young adults in Washington, D.C., are subject to strict gun control, but no social control, and they commit a staggering amount of armed crime. Young adults in Zurich are subject to minimal gun control, but strict social control, and they commit almost no crime.

You are a democrat's dream. Take no responsibility yourself, let the govt do it for you.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

I think the word overturned says it for me

Sounds like sour grapes from here. I drove a truck for last 8 years or so, cross country. Would you like to know how many times I was in a traffic snarl in Washington DC due to a shootout with police during that time? 3! At least 3 separate times, during the DC gun ban, someone shot at the police! (And no, that was not my 'regular' route; I was OTR.)

Yeah, that the social experiment called gun control really worked. Oh, and did you hear that today, someone shot and killed two students in an Arkansas campus? that happened in a 'gun-free zone'. How about you go and tell the parents of those kids how lucky they were that they weren't armed and in a 'gun-free zone'?

I think I have been here longer than you.

And you still judge a book by its cover. Nice.

I should bow to you.

Please don't. I don't want your worship, just some honest debate instead of rag-tag opinions with no facts to back them up laced heavily with sarcasm.

My 17 year old daughter was hit and killed by a truck pulling a horse trailer three years ago. And her mother and two sisters have never been the same,

For this you have my deepest sympathies. There can be no worse fate for a parent.

But since you brought it up the truck was equipped with a lot of government regulated safety features. It was a ford F250 and you can research the features if you would like. How many government regulated safety features were on the gun this father put in the hand of his child?

Relevance, please? A person who dies in a car accident is just as dead as if they were shot in the face with a bazooka. The only thing this points out is that 1)accidents happen despite the best of intentions, and 2)government can't seem to get anything right.

What bothers me upon reading your post is that you are all too aware (or should be) of the destructive power of something like an automobile, but yet you focus on guns as the major evil of society, when autos are many many times more likely to kill. Your point, as indicated by ShatteredSkies (star for you SS), actually lends credence to my argument: this was a case of negligence on the part of the father and the instructor, and could have happened with any such powerful tool known to man - a car, a chainsaw, or even a chemistry set. Would you outlaw those as well? If I were your neighbor, would you wish to forbid me from having a car or a chainsaw? Or is it just guns that scare you?

And this brings up my initial point: YOU hold part of the blame for this, by encouraging the unsafe use of firearms through consistently unsupported arguments designed to prevent others from having their rights as granted by the same document that allows you to freely speak your mind. By doing this, you encourage, no, require that anyone who wishes to retain those rights become militant, often without training, leading to a false sense of security and accidents like this.

Why can't you focus on the need for education in firearm safety? That actually works. That actually saves lives.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5
Repeal the 2nd amendment now. Before we all kill each other. The person who disagrees is wrong, no matter what argument they make. They will say how will we protect ourselves, or not all gun owners are idiots I disagree. My dad was a cop and my brothers and I played with his guns all the time it is a miracle no one was killed. I am forty now and would not let a neighbor of mine own guns if I had the choice. I find it unbelievable that we can own guns and not smoke pot in this country. CRAZY. Does any one know how many gun owners are killed by the weapon they own? Or the family members of that person.

Guys like you are why Obama will grab onto this story, probably post-election, and use it to justify the new tyrancy he will form in office. If he's elected. I hope to God, he doesn't get elected.
He may say he's not anti-gun, but he's anti-gun to the core, and I'm sorry, but NO ONE is getting my guns, not without taking my life anyways. Unlike some so-called Americans, I value the rights my ancestors died to give us. And I will exercise them to protect them. If it means that I'm added to the blood of patriots, then so be it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join