It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulled over because of McCain bumper Sticker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I was pulled over for speeding last Friday while we were on our way home from a week long vacation in Palm Springs. I was driving my Mom's Rondevous and my husband was right behind us following in my mini-van.

Out of nowhere I noticed that a car suddenly cut in front of my husband and tailgating me and within 3 seconds the lights were going to signal that I needed to pull over.

The police woman claimed I was going 81 but I thought I was going 72 and my daughters told the police woman that I was going 70. There were cars in front of me and in back so I was simply going with the flow of traffic and yet the police woman went out of her way to pull me over.

The only difference between the car I was driving and the other cars is that the one that I was driving had "McCain" and "McCain/Palin" bumber stickers on it.

The mini-van my husband was driving doesn't have the new registration stickers on it so it shows that registration expired in July 2008. If anyone should have been pulled over it should have been my husband! Also, when he first noticed the police car which was about a minute before she cut him off to pull me over, he looked at the odomoter and it said he was going 70.

I haven't had a ticket in over 12 years and I am seriously considering fighting this. I'm 99% sure that it was the McCain stickers that prompted the pull-over.

Thoughts?

Jemison

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Stickers or not you should fight it, plead it down and move on. Unless of course it means going out of your way, back to a town you were merely passing through. I doubt you will find a sympathetic govt employee in the state of Ca.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I can honestly say I have now "read it all" on ATS.

Did you somehow miss the news coverage out of FL where a sherrif showed up in uniform to stump for McCain?

Somehow I don't think law enforcement would be targeting McCain supporters. But that's just me...

Oh and, BTW, maybe you should slow down there lead foot.

[edit on 27/10/2008 by kosmicjack]

[edit on 27/10/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
When you go to court, you need to tell the Judge you were going with the flow of traffic. Vehicles in front of you, etc. It would help if you had some witnesses.

I wouldn't say anything about the bumper sticker.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

When you go to court, you need to tell the Judge you were going with the flow of traffic. Vehicles in front of you, etc. It would help if you had some witnesses.

I wouldn't fight the ticket based on the bumper sticker. Since my husband was behind us and actually looked at the odometer he can be a witness. Also, my Mom and 3 of my children were in the car with me and they all thought I was going 70 where the speed limit was 65 so I guess I could drag them into court as well.

My husbands immediate thought when the CHP (California Highway Patrol) cut him off was that I was chosen because of the sticker. That is a HUGE thing for him to THINK let alone say outloud.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
In a court of law, if she was black you can probably get it tossed out. Yes its odd to assume that, but I've seen worse. A black officer pulling over a McCain supporter definitely would rule in your favor.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ

I wouldn't say anything about the bumper sticker.

This is great. I want to use this line of argument too. It sounds like fun.

"Officer everyone in this bar was beating the crap outta that guy, I was just going with the flow."
Or
"Everyone else was stealing televisions so I figured it was ok."

I got pulled over for speeding once and said about that to the officer "Everyone in this areas was going the same speed, why me?" He said "You ever been fishing?" "Sure, I said." "Have you ever caught all the fish?"

Wow Andrew, race bait much?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

In a court of law, if she was black you can probably get it tossed out.

She wasn't black.

And as far as someone mentioning that I should NOT bring up the fact that I was going with the flo - I wouldn't really have to say that. My husband was following behind and paid attention to his speed which was 70 and my Mom and three of my four daughters were in the car with me and are positive that the max I was driving was 73.

I have a bunch of McCain stickers that I haven't put on my car yet and now I'm wondering if I even should!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yeah, fight the ticket in court. Usually the officer doesn't show up and the case gets tossed.

But if she shows up and you lose; court cost are usually more than the ticket and you will still have to pay the ticket. Insurance goes up and you wasted your time.

Your choice.....

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

In a court of law, if she was black you can probably get it tossed out.

She wasn't black.

And as far as someone mentioning that I should NOT bring up the fact that I was going with the flo - I wouldn't really have to say that. My husband was following behind and paid attention to his speed which was 70 and my Mom and three of my four daughters were in the car with me and are positive that the max I was driving was 73.

I have a bunch of McCain stickers that I haven't put on my car yet and now I'm wondering if I even should!

Jemison

ou do realise that altho most cops won't pul you for simply going five over, they can right? They can pull you for speeding if you are going one mile over, they just usually don't. Not saying this is the case, but the excuse "Judge, I was only going five or so over" is still admitting that you broke the law and the same as pleading guilty.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
This is great. I want to use this line of argument too. It sounds like fun.

"Officer everyone in this bar was beating the crap outta that guy, I was just going with the flow."
Or
"Everyone else was stealing televisions so I figured it was ok."

It's a great argument for a speeding ticket if you can prove it. I got ticketed for 76 in a 65 zone back in 2003. The officer pulled over a line of four cars with his loud speaker and I was one of them. I admitted in court that I was going 'around 75", but I mentioned that I was in the slow lane in a pack of cars. My argument was that if I was only going 65 in those traffic conditions I would be creating a hazardous situation for myself and those around me. The officer that issued the ticket was in the court room, but the judge didn't even call him forward. He dismissed the ticket and refunded my court costs. It may seem illogical in your head, but it works and it really is a safety issue when one person is going much slower than everybody else.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Speed limit you said was 65 u told the officer i was going 72..the cop gave you a ticket for 70.

either way you was speeding .

go to Tennessee..i use to work ont he road and had to drive threw that great state.
they see a out of state license plate they pull you over for 1 mile over the limit and give you a ticket.

why 1 mile over?
because yes its against the law..and they know you wont drive back to Tennessee to fight the ticket.
smart huh lol

but you was 5 miles over can't cry about it in court.sorry in my opinion

[edit on 27-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'd say in your best interest, you should forget about the political implications and just play this like a normal speeding ticket. Hire a decent lawyer (very cheap in these types of situations) and you should have no problem having the ticket reduced to an equipment violation which means no points and no increase in insurance premiums. Just a fine and it's done. Been there, done that.

new topics

top topics

join