It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear sells... but who's buying?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

More people than you would think scanning this forum. There is a lot of fear in some members and it's being fed by the MSM. It's showing up on the board. What is feared? Obama will destroy the economy. McCain will exacerbate the war on terror, etc.

This fear is driving people to grasp at anything that will show the candidate that they fear in a bad light. This happens on both sides. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Turns out it was a hoax. Why does this stuff get posted? Because of desperation and fear. This is ATS though folks. We have always strove to be better AND different from the MSM. What can we do as members to raise the bar?

Consider a source. Is it a site that uses sensational material to gain ratings? That should be a red light.

Check your sources. If you can't find a certain topic on another site, chances are that it isn't a kosher story. Different sources give validity to a topic.

Use international sources, those outside of the domestic venue. I use Reuters, BBC, CBC, Canadian print, etc.

Realize that neither ideology is right all of the time. Sometimes a conservative approach is appropriate, sometimes a liberal one. Absolutes NEVER work.

AND remember that everyone is in this together. Flaming an opposing point of view does not accomplish anything. It continues the cycle that the MSM is promoting and you are living in FEAR.

Of course I'm not talking about everyone but it is WAY too prevalent for ATS. We are better than that.

Remember that there are participants on ATS AND readers that stop by. They are the silent ones. How will you be seen by them? Will your point get across or will it be discounted by them because your posts are driven by fear? If so, your point is lost. A little time to verify something will go a long way. What would the casual reader think about a poster that garners the "hoax" tag?

It's up to you as to how things progress. Think about this and make Decision 2008 BETTER on ATS than what happens in the MSM.

Edit to add: Nods to Megadeth.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Great post!

Should be mandatory reading for anyone that is going to post regarding the political junk thats out there...

I love the new rule that has come out... I think it is one of the best rules i've seen come out on this site:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Props to Mods... I don't know how you guys do it without wanting to kill kittens... but you guys are awesome..

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
...the only thing admirable about the fearmongering going on is that it runs the gamut of political ideology. For every Obama is the Devil, there's a matching one about McCain the Mabus.

It's unreal. Actually it's all too real, and folks need to take much of what they see and read, and listen to, with a grain of salt...make that a heapin' shovel full of salt...

Just 'cause the TV or internet says it's so...it doesn't neccessarily follow.

Buyer beware.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I agree, kudos to you for your post. A star to you.

I am so tired of fear being used over intellect. No person knows it all so we all have a little fear in us. That fear is important to our survival but to manipulate and use that fear for gain (imo) is despicable.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yep... It's sad too. I have found in my own life that the energy I put behind what I fear or don't want is wasted.

However the energy that I put behind what I desire or do want is never wasted.

When you put your energy behind what you fear or dislike, you only get more and more spun up and stressed out. You eventually become suspicious of everyone and find yoruself cussing most things.

But I have also found that when I put my energy behind what I do like and desire the opposite effect happens in me. I tend to get along with more people, I am not as stressed, and I can deal with trivial frustrations much easier.

It's best said with the old adage "I have two dogs in me, one who is hungry for love, and one who is hungry for hate... Whichever one I feed is the one which grow the larger.

new topics

top topics

join