It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"UFOs Over Earth" new MUFON series show - Discovery Channel tonight!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Its funny cause i live in Fayetteville and my step father is a paint contractor for Cape Fear which is a few miles from the incident. Not to mention the fact that my father works for the said builder lol. Tell you what we were excited to see our town and a friend on T.V none the less Discovery Chan lol. It actually makes me proud because a couple months ago i witnessed my first UFO but i rather not talk about it because im not 100% sure if it was Extraterrestrial even thought it was lighted up and zoomed off in the blink of a eye. Anyways it was a great show.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I had written a reply but decided to refresh the thread before I posted. What free-spirit offered as opinion seems entirely opposite of mine. I'll put up what I wrote then follow up with further discussion.

I watched it and found it interesting and engaging. Comparing it to The History Channel’s “UFO Hunters”, I would have to say I liked it better.

They presented a good investigation that illuminated their techniques and told the story well. Production values included custom renderings, animations and artwork. The hypnosis part was starting to lose me a bit because as everyone knows of course, is it’s always 100% impossible to resist recalling an abduction experience when a subject is hypnotized but that aside, it seemed fairly genuine.

They closed the show with a little emotional hit and summed it up well that regardless of the questionable evidence, something had happened that affected this man’s life. The MUFON guys seemed sharp and lacked the slight blowhard quality of a certain guy with a hat and sunglasses.

Discovery Channel promoted the show well and it all fits in with the popular theory that we are being desensitized for some kind of upcoming disclosure. As far as getting a message across, I think the casual viewer with no particular knowledge of or interest in UFO stuff would have found this program entertaining enough to watch it and maybe wonder why so darn many networks have UFO shows on?

I will tune in again. The new season of UFO Hunters starts on Wednesday.

Originally posted by free_spirit
. At the end Carrion debunked his first case and witness
wich suggests the whole hour was a waste of time.

I would expect most investigations by either gang to end with some kind of debunking. They can't all be gems.

Originally posted by free_spirit
Conclusion: A deception. This is Discovery's response to the History's UFO Hunters in the same style. By the way only two more episodes are approved to be aired next month and then Discovery will decide if the series has potential to continue.

What is your guess?

I'd agree that the shows are done in the same manner, that of a supposedly legitimate scientific investigation which would follow a standardized methodology but argue that the style of the shows are quite different, mostly due to the personalities. I don't dislike Bill Birnes but just don't click with the show so much.

Without your show beating up my show, why don't we just take notice of how much UFO programs and headlines have infiltrated the MSM. Is it all escapism in these troubling times and hope for either aliens coming to rescue us from out plight or destroy all life on earth, depending on your perspective, or is it indeed another part of an accelerated public awareness campaign?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

this was truly a dissapointment show that was aired last night on UFO's !!! Lie detector test would have saved alot of wasted time !!!!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Just because someone fails a lie detector test does NOT mean they are lying. Those Lie detector tests are nothing but bunk science, they don't even hold up in the court of law. Research Lie Detector and you will find out that all it is is a tool to scare the guilty into submision.

Edit to add: The computer Can't determine if the person is lying or telling the truth, the operator looks at the computer screen and makes the desision, its no better than flipping a coin heads or tails SAME THING!

[edit on 28-10-2008 by 38181]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by EclipseReloaded
Watching it now...A group of guys in Fayetteville, North Carolina are night fishing when they spot strange lights in the sky...later, Bledsoe encounters an alien behind his house that night.

Red eyes, proportioned like a little child with a glasslike veneer...

I thought it was really disappointing. For one, I could tell the guy was lying right away. I have a gift at sniffing out liars by their facial expressions and this guy was lying out his ass. On top of that, when they were doing the computer graphics of the UFOs, they only had the one witness. I assume this is because the other witnesses were describing something completely different.

As seems to be the trend, I'm left doubting the whole UFO phenomenon after this.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Marcus Calpurnius]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I watched the show. I was pretty impressed up until the lie detector test. The first thought that crossed my mind was that the fool giving the lie detector test is a friggin fed!!!! So i don't know really. I think the case still has a little wheight to it.... and in the spirit of fairness lets treat this lie detector test like a doctor visit, every one deserves a second opinion... especially when the initial interview was given by a damn fed.

I'll watch the show again. Next weeks is actually on one of my favorite ufology topics: The Nazi UFO connection. I hope they talk about von Braun.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Why are you calling this debunking? A debunker doesn't bother to even look at the evidence because their mind is already made up. A true skeptic on the other hand has an open mind but IS willing to look at the evidence. As to the polygraph, are you saying you would prefer to have the public deceived by leaving it out? I thought the show was very well done and left it up to the audience to decide who to believe.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Re-watched parts of this again this morning... as a couple of things had struck me as odd. First off... the one mufon guy gushing how that was one of the best regression sessions he'd ever seen. Really? To me it looked like one of the worst. Open ended, leading questions to a subject I never once believed was under hypnosis or "remembering" anything other than a story he made up. The "regression" also seemed pretty short on details of any kind. Round room, lights, possibly controls... not much else.

And what was with the mufon guy's eyebrows? Seriously dude, you're on national tv. Give those suckers a trim, and while your at it, try and curb your gushing enthusiasm. The former makes you look foolish, the latter makes you look foolish and prone to jumping to conclusions despite what any evidence might show.

The corroborating witnesses.... did anyone find these guys to be particularly believable? I can't say I did.

How about the guys son? This lad looked sketchier and as uncomfortable on camera as anyone I have ever seen. Quite frankly he looked embarrassed with the whole proceedings if ya ask me. Doesn't make for believable testimony on his part.

The story itself... seems to run the gamut of every scenario known to ufology. First it's a sighting. Then a multiple sighting. Then missing time. Then an ET sighting. Finally culminating with abduction. And not by the same ET he first saw.. but by 4 ETs, 7 ft. in height who were his "guardians", and also the parents of the smaller 3 foot tall ET. I find the assertion he made about the adult ETs letting the child ET "out to play" ludicrous to say the least. All sounds a lil to made up for me... like he was trying to add a little of everything to his story in an effort to make sure there was an element to it that would make everyone happy.

As regards possible motive for the possibility of the guy lying thru his teeth?
The guy freely admits he lost 2 million dollars in some real estate housing deal gone bad. Maybe this is his way of trying to recoup some of his lost dough. And no I have no clue as to whether he was actually paid by the show for appearing, or has a product to sell now or possibly in the future or not; I'm just saying to me being hard up for cash could be a possible motive for his claims, especially when so much of his story seems to be at the very least... questionable. Maybe he just wanted attention? Who knows? If so I think it obvious his wife didn't share his enthusiasm. She also looked like she wanted nothing to do with the whole process.

So that's my take, to me it was an hour wasted on a guy who was most likely just making crap up... way to get bang for your TV buck Discovery Channel.. I think you've been had.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Resinveins]

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Resinveins]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I watched an episode on Discovery Channel last night, to due with MUFON. They went to check out a Mr. Chris Bledso, Sr., who had had an incounter with one, or possibly more, aliens. Seems James Carrion, Steve McGee, and the rest of their team thoroughly believed Mr. Bledso until he took a polygraph test and failed. I have known people who took polygraphs that we lying their heads off but yet PASSED it! I think they should treat polygraphs the same way the Courts do. Not admissable! I have never been one to give much thought to aliens or spacecrafts, but as I watched the show, I believed Mr. Bledso to be telling the truth.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
History Channel is also airing a new Series Wednesdays at 10PM/9C, called "UFO Hunters"

www.history.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well, guys..let me remind you that lie detector tests are unreliable. A lot of things including pre-exisitng medical conditions can affect the results, so don't throw the guy to the dogs just because he failed a lie detector test.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
A great show. Class all the way. the format was considerate of the witnessess and also took a much more scientific approach compared to another show on earlier in the year.

I hope we see more of this type of presentation.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Having seen many other UFO programs, I think that his one was very well produced. The graphics were done well, the flow of the story was engaging, and the even-handedness of the investigation was believable. The camera shots were good and the sound quality was great! All in all, it was professionally done. As to the subject matter, the investigation was handled very well and objectively, and very similar to what really happens in investigations with both discrepancies and corroborations leading the researcher to new paths.

I found the investigators thorough, although I would have expected a second lie detector test with a different operator which would have confirmed or rebutted the first test. Just one test led the viewer to conclude that the witness was making it all up based on the test. However, as we know, the interpretation of the results is still an art form rather than a science.

Overall, the program was entertaining and enlightening and I hope to see the next two...and more if they allow it! Way to go MUFON!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Geez, you guys think that UFO Hunting is like Ghost Hunting, just pick an old house that looks haunted, set up a bunch of equipment, have a TV crew follow the investigators around until someone screams and bumps into something in the dark, and whoila an entertaining hour of television. You can't UFO hunt on demand. Add TV production timelines and budgets and a show like UFOs Over the Earth is a bitch to create. Do you wonder why the first season of UFO Hunters focused on historical cases? The only current case they investigated was Stepehnville and even then did a crappy job with a bogus triangulation experiment.

So before you get all critical, try conducting a UFO investigation yourself with a camera crew trailing you. And while you're at it, see if you can vector in some UFOs on demand.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
i was very intrigued by this case.

first off i wont side track the topic by pointing out irrelevent facts like the eyebrows needing to be trimmed.
doing so would only make me look uninterested in the true phenomena. or possibly fearful and craking jokes about others helps me feel better or more 'sheltered'

anywho,

ill watch the show a few more times.

i was really interested in the fact that the guy couldnt remember the events and actually looked really confused. he makes enough money to want to succed on his own and using the ufo/alien scheme wouldnt really benefit him in the long run. or maybe he just wanted his 15 minutes of fame, but that too is inconclusive since there seems to be a whopping 3.7 million people who are claiming the same situation.. possible mass 15 minutes of fame syndrome? HARDLY!

im fully convinced that the man in questions is FULLY convinced that this actually occured.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LordThumbs

Te MUFON show was very realistic and not geared towards sensationalism or ratings like UFO Hunters.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Eh, cheer up man. The defeatist attitude is depressing. There is change in the wind. I can feel it. Nay, I can SEE it.

Bill Lyne was down in Panama and said the TV channels were full of Alien
hoakie stuff capitalizing on their spirituality side and not reality side.

We get the hoakie side of UFO and everything else for that matter.

AIG may go but not the Tesla Conspiracy cover up.

Was there even a reality side to Tesla and his flying machine.. no, and
never will.

The Mosquito Coast
www.imdb.com...

Featured a treatment of inventor unhappy with government.
Was this a take after Bill?

ED: This might be it on youtube:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10/28/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The show was exactly what I thought it would be..

What were you expecting? A smoking gun in favor of government conspiracies, aliens in our midst, and the threat of invasion??

Never going to happen.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Speaking as a member of MUFON, I must say that I am of the opinion that UFOs Over Earth was perhaps the best program on the subject to air in quite a while.

This is not to say that I dislike History's "UFO Hunters" in the least. I simply feel that James Carrion, Rich Lang, and the MUFON staff featured on UFOs Over Earth carried themselves exceedingly professionally and represented the field of Ufology extremely well.

I look forward to the rest of the series, and perhaps this will be a new chapter in the treatment of UFO research by the mainstream media.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

As someone who has taken more than my share of lie detector test I wouldnt put much faith in the accuracy of them. Of the 10 I took in my lifetime not one time did it catch deception and the one time I told the complete truth it showed major deception. Guys there is a reason why these test cant be used for evidence in a court room....its because they are complete hogwash and are not reliable in the least bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join