It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Official: Syrian Strike Killed Al Qaeda Target

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think it is great if they were able to do massive damage to al Qaeda's top ranks. One problem I have with it is that we have no offended yet another country (not that we have been on great terms with Syria to begin with), and also that it seems to be an accepted truth that killing leaders of al Qaeda does little to hinder it.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This smells like someone in the top ranks realized that they messed up and tried to come up with some justification for the raid...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
No Insults

Originally posted by alphabetaone
For a prince of peace you seem to propogate quite a bit of violence.

You know better than this. Warning issued.

Stay On Topic.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I think that if this kind of thing is needed, then it should be done correctly with a declaration of war. You can't just go around violating the borders of sovereign countries like this, it makes a mockery of the whole international system. USA gets angry if it's allies have their borders violated, so why should it be different for others.

I'm not against actions if there is evidence, but it should be done correctly.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Don't include me in your armchair general category either. Yes, I've seen the varmint numerous times, wounded numerous times, and decorated for valor.

One of the most fundamental tenets of war is the ability to surprise your enemies. And we've been doing the surprising lately with some very good results. Oddly, each time we take out one of these turds, the immediate reports indicate the US just killed some "civilians."

One might note that each time you contact a government who isn't already your biggest fan, your target suddenly disappears. This isn't rocket science. You find 'em, you kill 'em, and then later if you're really in the mood, you can apologize. Or not. Sometimes the point is - to make a point.

I knew a guy who spent 20-plus years in the Corps too, and as a supply sergeant, the closest he got to combat was handing out equipment. But to hear him tell it, he was so weary of war, so impacted by his suffering, and so fed up with the whole thing. Right.

The American military is not a humanitarian force driven by humanitarian concerns in any sense of the word. Or it shouldn't be. True, some of our pantywaist generals have confused their mission. A military is to be a war machine and nothing else. Not nation-builder, founders of democracy, police, counselors of faith, or ambassadors of goodwill.

You want cops - hire cops. You want nation-builders, send in the State Department. You want to found democracy - good luck. You want counselors of faith - send a chaplain. You want ambassadors of goodwill - send that clown - President Carter.

But if you want to eliminate your enemies - you kill them where you find them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join