It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Official: Syrian Strike Killed Al Qaeda Target

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

A U.S. strike on a network of foreign fighters in Syria killed its main target — an Al Qaeda coordinator who was wanted for sending foreign fighters, weapons and cash into Iraq, a U.S. official told FOX News.

Killed in Sunday's attack by Special Operations Forces was Abu Ghadiyain, Al Qaeda's senior coordinator operating in Syria who was closely associated with the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq.

The assault, which took place about 4-5 miles inside Syria, came just days after the commander of U.S. forces in western Iraq said American troops were redoubling efforts to secure the border, which he called an "uncontrolled" gateway for fighters entering Iraq.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hmm and we arent talking about it at all and the people who should be are refusing to comment "today tommarow or anytime in the future.....something seems rather fisshy here....
All day today this has been getting hashed out as a no news going out period and right after the stock market closes. There is a BREAKING news story about it.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I have just read the complete stories and watched the video of the news release and I do think there will be some really serious ramifications for the ones responsible, or there should be any ways.
We should of "Not" crossed that border of air space into Syria, the USA is getting big britches too openly commit an act such as this, and I for one don't approve of the action that was taken. There were proper ways of dealing with the Syrian government to come to a more safe and correct compromise to the anticipated Al Qaeda member....

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
reply to post by xoxo stacie

We should of "Not" crossed that border of air space into Syria, the USA is getting big britches too openly commit an act such as this, and I for one don't approve of the action that was taken.

I totally agree! the gov have turned this into one hell of a big mess. The only thing to come out of this is more distrust and upheaval. But then again thats the way the BUSH boys love to operate.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie

www.foxnews.com

Has the headline changed?

It says captured, not killed.

U.S. Official: Al Qaeda Coordinator Captured in Syria Raid

A U.S. strike on a network of foreign fighters in Syria led to the capture of an Al Qaeda coordinator who was wanted for sending operatives, weapons and cash into Iraq, a U.S. official told FOX News.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

If it has they changed it, because it was less than an hour old when I found it. I felt that it was yet another "excuse" that they have been in the past using to do what ever the heck they want.
Another Al Qaeda blah blah blah we screwed up but hey we got the 5th number 2 man we were on the hunt for...

edit oh yeah
i copied and pasted the title was being lazy

[edit on 27-10-2008 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There were other titles to this story as well. Such as "Successful air strike for al qaeda member" and the like.

No matter what the title, it was very unnerving and bold of the US to even try to attempt....

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
To suggest that the US should have contacted and coordinated with Syria is never-never land. Those who would awake must first cease to dream.

Doe the question pop into your head that this Joker was in this particular area, within Syria for a reason?

Never crossed your mind?

I wouldn't give a rat's ass if they found a #2 Al Queda man in the Vatican, they should smoke them where they find them.

I'd hate to be an Al Queda #3 man. I'd never get any sleep.

Excellent intelligence. Excellent coordination. Excellent execution.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The USA is suppose to upstanding in the humanitarian department, and killing innocent people for the act of one is way, way out of line.
Just like when we were after Osama B.Laden, it should of been just him and his cronies in their back yard and not the rest of the countries he had just happen to reside in.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
More details coming out.

US strike in Syria "decapitated" al Qaeda's facilitation network

The entire senior leadership of Ghadiya's network was also killed in the raid, the official stated.

[...]

The identity of Ghadiya and several members of his senior staff has been known since February 2008 when the US Treasury identified Ghadiya, his brother, and his two cousins as members of the network. The US Treasury department publicly designated Ghadiya, his brother, Akram Turki Hishan Al Mazidih, and his two cousins, Ghazy Fezza Hishan Al Mazidih and Saddah Jaylut Al Marsumis as senior members of al Qaeda's foreign facilitation network.

[...]

A senior US general and the Iraqi spokesmen both noted that al Qaeda leaders were openly living inside Syria, and the Syrian government did nothing to shut down the network. "The attacked area was the scene of activities of terrorist groups operating from Syria against Iraq," Ali al Dabbagh, Iraq's spokesman told Reuters. "Iraq had asked Syria to hand over this group which uses Syria as a base for its terrorist activities."

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Did the US ask syria permission before it slapped the poo out of their nuclear program? hell no it didn't. Do you think the pentagon is going to call ahead a few hours and ask for permission to take out a real bad guy? hell no they are not, as these little terror folks are hiding in Syria for a reason; the syrian government are complicit in their protection.

Sooner rather than later Damascus is going to have to make a very important decision; continue support islamic terror, or front up and grow a set of balls and throw them out for good.

Their choice, but if they make the wrong one, it may prove very costly.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
About freaking time. Countries who harbor Al Queda ahve been warned time and time again. Now the US is doing something about. Syria knows who they have in their country...they didnt do anything about it and the US just did.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
OK so why could they not have says , Hey Syria we have AlQuida at this location do we have permission to go in and get them?

All they would needed is permission from Syria and this would not be any issue at all..

The USA needs to quit policing the world with my tax money!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Sure thing. Yep. Just do it with a phone call...it happens just that fast. Meanwhile terrorists camel just keeps on walking and he disappears into the dunes unharmed.

Originally posted by E-ville
OK so why could they not have says , Hey Syria we have AlQuida at this location do we have permission to go in and get them?

All they would needed is permission from Syria and this would not be any issue at all..

The USA needs to quit policing the world with my tax money!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Seems to me it was probably an opportunistic strike. This page shows his residence to be Zabadani which is all the way on the western side of Syria, probably out of range for this type of incursion. I would think they got some info that he was in or near Abu Kamal which is well within range so they just decided to go for it.

I don't think they'd want to wait around for permission from Syria or give them the chance to warn him if this happened to be a rare opportunity to get at him.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
About freaking time. Countries who harbor Al Queda ahve been warned time and time again. Now the US is doing something about. Syria knows who they have in their country...they didnt do anything about it and the US just did.

For a prince of peace you seem to propogate quite a bit of violence.

I bet you've never been out of your respective country either or even seen war. You armchair generals all seem to think it's so damn easy huh? To sit back and watch the violence because there is no measurable affect to you.

Wait until there is, let's see about "What freaking time" it takes for you to be crying like a little baby who hasn't been fully weaned yet.

AB1

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Seems to me it was probably an opportunistic strike.
This page shows his residence to be Zabadani which is all the way on the western side of Syria, probably out of range for this type of incursion. I would think they got some info that he was in or near Abu Kamal which is well within range so they just decided to go for it.

You and I may be on to something there.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I applaud this strike. Enough of al Qaeda playing "olly olly in free" by hiding in a mosque or whatever and thinking they are safe.

Had we "asked permission" of Syria, I'm sure they would have wanted to warn al Qaeda "investigate" first before granting permission.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I fought in Desert Storm son. What have you fought in besides your Playstation or X-Box? Get a life and dont start attacking folks that you know nothing about. You dont know me fool.

For a prince of peace you seem to propogate quite a bit of violence.

I bet you've never been out of your respective country either or even seen war. You armchair generals all seem to think it's so damn easy huh? To sit back and watch the violence because there is no measurable affect to you.

Wait until there is, let's see about "What freaking time" it takes for you to be crying like a little baby who hasn't been fully weaned yet.

AB1

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Sure you did "son".

Those of us who have really seen war and destruction and the negative ramifications of those actions clearly don't erode the nature of what it truly is by being so flippant about it.

I retired from the Corps after 20 years, I know war, and I know destruction. I also know how the people who really did the job DONT feel about furthering unnecessary, unprovoked international incidents.

I don't need to know you, I know everyone just like you, and that makes you uniquely non-unique. However, enjoy your little fantasy "son".

AB1

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join