It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make A Local Food Map

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
True, come winter over here the biggest problem would be the rain! 3months of regular downpours and storms!

I really love working outside in the winter time

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This is a wonderful idea!
I only wish that it was commonplace in every region of the World. It is after all a very logical thing. I have a mental foraging map of skips and dumpsters in my area too.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Squat4Life

Skips and dumpsters? Lol youo're a braver man than i. Although i did accompany a homeless guy once who wanted to show me what super markets throw away. He showed me bins full of produce that was only one day out of date, it included tons of crisps and chocolate that was perfectly edible.

I mean seriously i've eaten chocolate at home that was a week out of date and it tasted perfectly fine, people are to careful about use by dates and the supermarkets often throw stuff out by the sell by date, the use by date is often several days after that.

The homeless guy picked up 3 x 24 bags of crisps, 4 large slabs of chocolate, some sausage rolls and a ton of other stuff that were all in sealed packets/bags.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
IR 1984,

What maps do you use ? are the the normal OS explorer maps ???

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
IR 1984,

What maps do you use ? are the the normal OS explorer maps ???

For now i'm using local road maps because most of the food is on roadsides or within woodland i know well enough to find anything i have marked down. There are plenty of country pathways as well where the raod maps work well.
The woods near me are rather small really, the largest one is maybe a mile square so i can find everything easily. If i were collecting over a larger area that had no roads then i would use a topographic map.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Yep that can be done but i suppose whilst my main reason for doing this is simply to get free food and quality wild food the other reason is a prepared map for if any disaster happens and leaving home has to be done. A GPs will fail after a very short length of time, paper lasts way longer and laminated paper lasts a lifetime

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

When you have 20 people running around with their GPS's documenting everything from landmarks to soil PH you could imagine how quickly the information contained on A satellite map (hard copied 20x) builds up.

Doing permaculture on five acres is a lot different from doing it on 360 acres.
Having the capacity to update bug out routes,local landmarks and resources on A monthly basis leads to some greatly detailed hard copies for a variety of area's.

When your caching various supplies it can be a godsend to be able to locate them.Your statement about GPS is not valid unless the satellites are not working or you lose your hand crank.In A SHTF situations,I want to be able to locate that stash of mountain Bikes and supporting buckets.(maps included)

What happens when you only hard copy isn't there. do you have some placed elsewhere.You realize that if you know where those mushrooms are others might as well.I'm not saying that your maps are not viable,I think your not fully realizing the wisdom of mapping resources in your surrounding area.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join