It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Sales Thriving In Uncertain Times

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Well if anything does happen and I do have to take up arms, I'm glad I was born and raised a hunter in Wisconsin.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Its all about the election. Many gun owners are fearful that Obama will win and that he'll institute some form of ban, particularly an assault weapons or general semi-automatic ban. They're buying them while they can.

i've heard that he has a 7 step plan for getting rid of the guns you mentioned and more. i can't cite a source because it may well just be rubbish, but i don't think it is anyway. the first step would be reviving Bidens gun law he wrote previously, second step is maing it much more difficult to buy ANY gun, even shotguns by requiring a federal background check and registering with a database of gun owners. while this is a major concern of mine, the economy is even more of a concern to me at this time because i am barely BARELY making it right now, so Oboma is prob getting my vote, i see Mccain destroying the economy even more, c'mon people, you have had 8 years to get assault rifles, and time is not out yet, it will still be months (if oboma wins) before a plan is passed, you still have time. so yes, i want more guns, but i feel i have had enough time to get the ones i wanted and now i am more than ready for a different kind of leader. Of course, to be fair, i must say that i live in alabama, where i feel very sorry for the nat guard if they are ever given an order to go door to door trying to collect firearms. so my opinion is prob very different from someone who has a much more restricted access to guns (i.e. california) i mean, here i can walk in a walmart, and 15 minutes later walk out with a 12 guage shotgun and thousands of shells, along with as many cases of beer as i can carry...and a bag of dog food: so go figure.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Well my personal argument for guns was that we are not liberated and free, not that we are.

The gun is the modern spear. You walk outside, better have something to fend off that tiger if it chooses to attack.

Only today the tiger is another person with a gun. Actually it's more like an entire pride of lions. Ideally no one would have guns. Ideally back in the day there wouldn't have been sabre tooths either.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

and ideally we can all skip down the street hand in hand in sunshine and rainbows, with our heads rammed so far up our (_____) that we can lick the bottom of our stomachs. the simple fact of the matter is unlike the rest of the world seems to think, its not raining machine guns here in the states, kids aren't born toting mac10s and uzi SMGs, were not a nation of rednecks that fondle ourselves to pictures of guns and we certainly dont sit there and wonder who and how to kill. if your going make a comment about how we all have automatics, assassinations, school shootings and gunviolence use alittle common sense. your hearing the media spin of any and every situation involving gun violence, the twist is worse in the international community because there sources are getting it from 3rd party sources here. its like the game of telephone when you were (or probablly still are) young. you have a line of 10 or 15 people, one person comes up with the phrase, dogs are fun, and because you have 13 other kids trying to be kids, by the time it gets to that last person, the phrase "dogs are fun" turns into something about some kids parents that shouldnt be repeated in the presence of well... anyone. do you see what im saying, you cant base your opinions on a one sided spindoctor version of what some media outlet considers the absolute and extreme truth.

for example, sadly to say here in cook county, a girl lost her life on a bus because of 2 idiots that apparently thought it world war 3 because they happened to brush against eachother on a bus. she was killed with a .38 revolver taking 4 of the 6 bullets, 3 center mass and 1 in the head. the public statment issued by the police stated this. the media in its "infinite wisdom" immediatly spun it to say he was carrying an assualt weapon and one went so far as to say an ak47. now the official report, and buses security camera both show a small revolver. or are you still not seeing it (insert fingers into ears and scream loudly(

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Mr, Aussie,
Let 12 million illegal aliens come to Australia, and then you can spout off about how peaceful Australia is.
Who could ever have the means to attack Australia anyway. It is too much of an isolated island.
So you do not have internal or external enemy forces, good for you. Enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by fmcanarney
Mr, Aussie,
Let 12 million illegal aliens come to Australia, and then you can spout off about how peaceful Australia is.

We are littered with illegal aliens from Asia.. make no mistake about it!

Who could ever have the means to attack Australia anyway. It is too much of an isolated island.

One word... Indonesia.. one of the largest armies in the world... and fairly hostile towards us too! However, one aussie soldier is worth about 100 of theirs. When we went into East Timor, they left pretty quickly yet we were the ones that were out numbered.

So you do not have internal or external enemy forces, good for you. Enjoy it.

I do enjoy it. Australia & New Zealand are two of the most peaceful places on Earth to live.

Thanks fmcanarney

IRM

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dytch

Thanks for the personal attacks. However it achieves nothing as you know nothing about me as your ill educated guesses demonstrated... Your aggressive tone is a bit of a joke too... but thanks for the giggle!

I think your missing the point. Regardless of media spin, the girl in your story was still pumped full of lead via a handgun by a scared and paranoid little individual who needed a gun to augment his obviously lacking manhood. Does it matter if it's semi automatic? Dead is dead no?.. and a gun is a gun!

Anyway, nothing can be garnered from taking this conversation any further. You believe what you believe and I'll go on doing the same yeah!

Come visit Australia one day. You might actually enjoy it!

IRM

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
c'mon people, you have had 8 years to get assault rifles,

The AWB expired in 2004. A few of the more totalitarian states are still subjecting their residents to it's restrictions like MA, CT, CA, NJ and NY. All with out of control crime I might add.

So we had 4 years to buy "assault weapons" whatever an 'assault weapon' is. Say we get a ban. How am I supposed to repair my 'assault weapon' or replace parts on my 'assault weapon'? Under the first AWB an AR built prior to the ban was only allowed to exist under the ban in its original pre-ban configuration. Any repair or replacement of parts made it an illegal rifle.

Screw the economy. I'm doing as well as I ever have and I keep my assets, skills and knowledge fluid and am continually offered jobs in various fields.
The people I see hurting are the people who loaded trucks or worked manufacturing for 20 years without ever broadening their skillset or value as an employee. Bailing them out is just as bad as bailing out these awful lenders/investors who got screwed on a high risk venture and now want my taxes to pay for their inability to prepare or take responsibility.

Your job, your money and your family are not guarantees. You must continually earn them no matter what the circumstances. Sorry politicians and government screwed you over. In case you didnt know thats what they do. That's all they have ever done. Preparing for Washington to ruin your life is no different than preparing for a hurricane or tornado or power outage or period of unemployment. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

That BOR is a list of things the a-holes in government cannot touch for any reason.

If all this other crap is really more important that the 2nd then maybe the politicians should focus on all the other crap and leave the 2nd the hell alone.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I've got some random thoughts to drop here... Americans like their guns, but that doesn't mean we walk the streets tossing kittens in the air and shooting them for target practice. The entire country was built by folks with guns, and now that's the legacy we live with. Were it not for our guns, we'd still be living under the thumb of a british monarch, and the white folks would be fighting off the red folks with sticks and a boatload of ill will. So, for one thing it's a legacy, our heritage. Might as well ask the Irish to outlaw shamrocks and Guiness, or ask the Canadians to outlaw hockey. But it's more than a legacy, it's also the law of the land. Right there in our founding documents, we are guaranteed the right to be armed if we so choose, regardless of whether or not the government chooses to ignore or erase that right. Matter of fact, those same measures are WHY we are guaranteed that right - tho keep the beaureaucrats honest. Hasn't worked too well lately, probably because folks don't quite understand the reason for the right. But one thing is certain: a "right" is not a right if it is subject to removal by a government. If they can take it away, it's a government promise, a privelidge, NOT a right. What makes it a right is that very quality that transcends government whims and leave. Furthermore, That ONE right, the right to bear arms, is the ONLY thing that guarantees against the abuse of any and all other rights. That's why it's there.
For my aussie friend, I don't know what part of Oz you live in, but I've got a friend here from Australia, the southwestern part, who used to be a territorial ranger when he was home. He assures me, and I believe it from his actions, that Australians can be a thoroughly dangerous bunch. Not all sweetness and light at all. He also claims, and I've no reason to doubt him, that just because they were outlawed, firearms did NOT just vaporize from good old Oz. According to him, they're still there in astonishing numbers. However, Aussies won't let a little thing like lack of a weapon back them down from a scrap. Gotta admire that in a man.
For those discussing Mossberg shotguns, One of the only 3 firearms I own is a Mossberg M590. I chose it specifically above all other shotguns for various reasons. 1) it has a built in bayonet lug. To my mind that's an important quality in an essentially short range weapon that only holds 9 rounds before a reload. 2) it has double action bars on the pump, thus making it much less likely to bind on operation under stressful use. 3) I've had no problem finding aftermarket accessories for it. As of now, I've tricked it out with a laser, a flashlight, a side-saddle spare shell holder, ventilated handguard, ghost ring sights, and a solid (not folding - I hate those particular gimmicks) synthetic buttstock with a pistol grip, and a sling. It's not a hunting weapon, it's purely set up for fighting. Looks kind of Buck-Rogers-ish, but for my money it's the finest reloadable claymore mine ever devised by man. My only gripe was where the safety was located, but I got used to it fairly quickly.
I'm not buying anymore guns in this election cycle. I figure I've only got 2 hands, and I've already got 3 guns, so I'm covered. Ammo is a different matter. Can't ever have too much of that.
As an afterthought, one of my "progressive" friends once asked me WHY I "needed" my AK-74. I grinned at him, and told him that I NEEDED it in order to keep folks like him from TAKING it. He had to think about that for a while before he got it. He's still a friend, he's still unarmed, and we cheerfully disagree on a plethora of subjects. I reckon I need folks like him to keep ME honest.

nenothtu out

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Katrina shows that you guys are sh*t scared of the government. Why have the guns, if people will not use them, lol.

I found the american obsession with guns and violence, just seems to be inbreed into you folks. Why do americans never accpet that guns kill. People without guns will find it harder to kill.

Your crime rate has hardly dropped because of guns, i know someone will say that no one attacks a person with guns. Yes they do, why do we hear about attackers being killed entering peoples homes. It does not seem to be a deterrent at all.

[edit on 10/29/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Yes they do, why do we hear about attackers being killed entering peoples homes. It does not seem to be a deterrent at all.

[edit on 10/29/2008 by andy1033]

Yes. We hear about attackers being killed breaking into homes.

Operation Self Defense: News

Thats the point.

When has punishment ever deterred any crime? If you commit a crime you either dont care about the punishment because youre insane, because you expect to get away with it, or are committing it in the heat of the moment.

I would rather these idiots who cant be deterred end up dead. Otherwise theyd just go do it again.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by slicobacon & Daedalus

Australians love their freedom too but we don't need guns. No I didn't vote for a gun ban. Our crime rate (gun related or otherwise) is much lower than the USA so what are you ranting about mate?

It seems America always needs an enemy/external threat or it would turn inwards on itself. Australians don't have that issue as we didn't require a war to forge our freedom. BTW we're the only western country to achieve it (via federation). Of that I'm proud!

We also haven't had assassinations of leaders like America had with Abraham Lincoln, The Kennedy Brothers, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X etc & now a threat on Obama... Some things never change! Australia is a peaceful nation. Are you?

I think we can agree to disagree on the gun issue... You can't convince me that a nation full of automatic weapons with a history of assassinations, high school massacres and drive by killings is liberated and free - though it appears you have convinced yourself.

IRM

[edit on 28/10/08 by InfaRedMan]

This is not even close to fair. Need i remind you that you used to be an english prison colony? i imagine it wasn't very peaceful then.

Assassinations are almost ALWAYS carried out by the federal government, who would have weapons regardless of bans or restrictions on civilian ownership, so that point is a joke.

And school shootings are the direct result of inadequate controls to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. The second amendment states that we have the RIGHT to have arms....when it was written, criminals actually used to go to jail. If you have a history of criminal violence, you should lose your right to have a gun. it's just that simple. In homes with minors, gun locks, and/or secure storage for weapons should be law. as it is, it is too easy for mentally unstable (read: drugged by the medical establishment) children to get their hands on unsecured weapons, and go on sprees. better controls are needed that keep weapons out of the hands of people who would misuse them, while at the same time, not infringing on the rights of regular, law abiding citizens.

I'm not advocating a nation full of automatic weapons, i'm simply saying that if you are a law abiding citizen with no history of violent crime, you should be able to own and carry a weapon, so you can defend yourself against criminals with weapons...disarming the public, does nothing but create easy targets for those who have no qualms with taking what you have simply because they want it.

Also, on the assassination thing......in case you didn't notice, Australia isn't one of the biggest players in the world....america is a major seat of power, with lots of corruption, lots of greedy unscrupulous people, and a government that will kill anyone to further their own ambitions.

Painting us all as gun nuts with AK-47's under our pillows is just millimeters from stark raving mad.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Daedalus]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Your crime rate has hardly dropped because of guns, i know someone will say that no one attacks a person with guns. Yes they do, why do we hear about attackers being killed entering peoples homes. It does not seem to be a deterrent at all.

A .357 wadcutter between an intruders eyes is the ultimate deterent. The recidivism rate amongst criminals who meet this fate is very close to 0%. I think you're misunderstanding the point of owning a firearm for personal protection. I don't own them because it scares criminals, I own them because NOTHING scares criminals, especially not the law.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

People without guns will find it harder to kill.

Oh yeah?..talk to the english..over there, knife violence is the order of the day.....you can easily read news reports about knife fights, and roving gangs of hooligans with knives....

just because there's no guns, doesn't mean people have any less inclination, or ability to kill other people.

why do we hear about attackers being killed entering peoples homes. It does not seem to be a deterrent at all.

It's a deterrent, but not enough of one...the reason for this is because in addition to violence, steak, and money. a good percentage of americans also like games of chance....gambles...see, break-in artists know that not everyone has guns, so it's a 50/50 split most of the time as to whether or not you'll see an armed response from a homeowner when you illegally enter their house. If you case the neighborhood beforehand, you might even be able to see just how well in your favor your odds actually are...some neighborhoods are picturesque Americana, right out of a Norman Rockwell painting....criminals LOVE those neighborhoods...house after house of naive pacifists with no weapons, living in the dreamworld illusion that they are truly safe in their homes.

i guarantee you if criminals knew that EVERYONE had a gun, they'd be FAR less likely break into people's homes, because self-preservation is always stronger than greed.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Katrina shows that you guys are sh*t scared of the government. Why have the guns, if people will not use them, lol.

Errrr try researching Ruby Ridge, the Waco siege, the Symbionese Liberation Army etc etc etc - then tell me how many other first world nations have such a history of armed revolt against the Federal government. Plus - the residents of New Orleans were shooting rifles at government helicopters during Katrina, nice people that they are.

I found the american obsession with guns and violence, just seems to be inbreed into you folks. Why do americans never accpet that guns kill.

I have yet to see a gun imprisoned for murder, people kill. If gun free zones are so safe, how is it that prisons are so dangerous?

And I have found the European trend of weakness in the face of aggression to be inbred also. All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - a lesson you will never learn.

The introduction of concealed carry for women only in Miami during the 1980s caused a reduction in the reported rate of rape by more than 80%. The introduction of concealed carry in Georgia practically stamped out car-jacking overnight, causing the police chief to quip that they had re-classified the crime of attempted car jacking to attempted suicide. Those areas of the US with the highest rates of firearms ownership have the lowest rates of crime. New York, Washington D.C., and Los Angeles have the strictest gun laws, and regularly top the murder statistics.

It all boils down to whether or not your government trusts the people enough to own firearms. I for one am proud to live in one of the very few civilized nations that has a government that does.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

What are you talking about? If you stick around at Walmart and become a store manager you can make $68,000/yr.

I'd like to see mom and pop pay you that!

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
American are not violent, I for one would never aim or even shoot at any person, unless they pose a threat to my or my family's safety or property.

Someone unwanted comes in my home, they are a threat to my safety and property. I will protect it..

I have been robed before, luck for the person that did it it was only steeling the radios from my vehicles and some tools. Becuase if i would have caught them i would have confronted them with the gun aimed.. and made a citizens arrest.. These goons were armed they dropped one of there knives in our yard.

Now the funniest thing of this whole thing is after some investigation on my wife and myselfs part we caught them, They were local and they robbed 1 out of 3 properties in the neighborhood, they too radios gas from cars tanks tools elkectronics, you name it, We had to call the cops and tip them off on who to arrest for the crimes, the cops had no clue they took the reports and that was the end of there investigation.. We got some of our stuff back eventually.. but it was our time and property that was lost and this crook servers a few weeks time for it.. no recourse for the victims of the crime no losses repaid and the only ones who benefited were the cops got fines paid by the crook, to them, not to the victims of the crime.

If I'm threatened I will defend myself.. because the cops arn't going to do crap for me and my family... and there not going to protect my property either. I could protect my self with the Karate I know, or a gun, its just different tools to get the job done.

However for whatever reason people think Americans and there guns are crazy and run around shooting at people all the time.. not the case in any way. Most Gun owners are very responsible and dread the time they will have to aim a gun at any person.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Oh yeah, and them allegedly making their 68 thousand a year is worth all the damage they do?

you may be comfortable with us taxpayers footing the bill for their dishonest practices, but i'm not.

video.google.com...

walmart is a sh*t company..

shop american, "shop mom and pop".

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
there is a reason stores around mine have been robbed but not mine. people have put the word out that what i carry on me is not good for humans health.

my advice to everyone, because the day is coming, is to arm yourself to the upmost. for every purpose. be it hunting, or self defense. first thing you need is an AR 15, then go get some extra upper receivers, bolt assemblys, magazines, and all the ammo you can store. also look into getting a 6.8 upper for it in case you trying to kill an enemy that has taken cover. its a great rifle, low recoil, very accurate, and maintained is very reliable. then get an optic for it. if you like just a dot reticle get aimpoint. if you like circle around a dot, which i do, get an EOtech. sight it in and get a 3x mag for it. that covers fighting in and around 40 to 400 yrds. then get a remington 700 series rifle in a .308. thats for hunting and killing enemies at distances around 1K meters. get a leupold scope for it. get a few good sidearms. i like XD's. learn how to clean them all, shoot them, and replace parts like trigger, upper, and bolt. then get with a couple other like minded friends that you trust and train for what you will be doing when the time comes. a little squad is better than you shooting and having you wife reload. i know one thing. here in texas there are so many decent sized civilian militias, this is the last place to want to go acting up. now if i could just get an artillery vehicle i would be in business.

thats just for civil unrest and the event that we lose our freedom. now the other scenerio is if we finally get invaded or this next war will be fought on our soil we have big problems. china has a huge army, new beastly tanks, more fighter planes than anyone, and more soldiers. so all that is bad if they get on our soil, and given their size i would say their ground force would be the one donated to invade. there is nothing i could tell you to prepare us for war on our own country. unless you have millions of dollars to buy weapons and tax permits and if you do come join up with me and mine.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

So you think any uneducated person should be able to waltz into walmart and get a job paying $20/hr + health benefits + retirement all for running a cash register? How will that company be successful? Care to explain your business strategy?

BTW- I'm not pro-Walmart. I feel for those who have few workplace rights. Still, it boils down to individual smarts. If you actually think you can make a decent living working for Walmart you are wrong unless you are a store manager or assistant store manager. However, if you are married and your spouse is the bread winner, you don't have a college degree or equivalent experience, and you just want a part-time job to bring in a few hundred more a month then it's not so bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join