It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Sales Thriving In Uncertain Times

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Let me get this straight:

People are buying lots and lots of guns and ammo because

a-) if Obama WINS he will push for the ban of guns, so it's better to buy guns now to fight this future "battle".

...or...

b-) if Obama LOSES there will be riots, so it's better to buy guns now to be prepared for the riots.

eehhh... I don't know if it's because I'm not from US but.... I simply don't understand this logic.... I mean...
[sarcastic voice] It's almost like a conspiracy to buy guns? [/sarcastic voice]

Or there's a hidden agenda in the making people buy guns? (ie. "Let's make them buy all the guns because of *whatever*, and then we can shoot them all to the ground, because they WILL BE ARMED so that's the perfect excuse to us").

Am I tripping too much? If so, please explain this mind-set for me, please...

If I'm NOT tripping to much, please some one give me the Blue pill, I think I'm choking on this Red one..

Peace

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Sator]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I will agree
Uncertain times we are living in.

This election all the terrorist tie's..ect..ect...

People are getting spooked

Not to mention the economy..Fear of riot and looter's thiefs ect..
Hard times the thief's come out in mass numbers

Can't blame them really.
Lock And Load the fight is soon to start

[edit on 27-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

Maybe you will understand when Brazil becomes one of the largest communist nations in South America. You folks are in more peril of becoming a war zone than us. Those of us here in the US live by the old addage " Be Prepared " and that means for any contingent. Even if others from another country don't understand, you will in the future.
Zindo

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Here you do not have to register an SKS or an AK-47 when you buy it (not going to say how I know this). If it is not registered they have no proof you own one there for they cannot ask/demand that you to bring it in.

Raist

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

You're in another state? Anyway, even if they don't have registration... anyone caught with a SKS is a criminal... and they have videos at gun shops and gun ranges. So if they say to gun ranges people that if they don't disclose everyone who have X type of firearms, their business will close... they will comply. I know that a lot of them will say no... but still...

What would be funny would be to see them trying... it would be revolution over night.... only in certain states where they have the right mindsets... in California, they bent over easily.

And for me I live in Canada... so I can only own semi auto guns and they are registered.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by Sator

Maybe you will understand when Brazil becomes one of the largest communist nations in South America. You folks are in more peril of becoming a war zone than us.

Do you know something about us that I don't?

It's looking like you do....

I mean... If I saw even a remote chance for Brazil becoming "one of the largest communist nations in South America" I'd be speaking very loud about it over here and anywhere else... in fact, I'd be looking for a gun myself. But that doesn't seem to be the case, right?

reply to post by Sator

Those of us here in the US live by the old addage " Be Prepared " and that means for any contingent. Even if others from another country don't understand, you will in the future.
Zindo

About that US addage.... "be prepared" can mean a whole lot of things, right? But of course we are talking about weapons here, so it's clear what you mean. Be prepare = lock & load..... how is it working out for your nation?

More freedom yet?

More peace?

Security?

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I mean... If I saw even a remote chance for Brazil becoming "one of the largest communist nations in South America" I'd be speaking very loud about it over here and anywhere else... in fact, I'd be looking for a gun myself. But that doesn't seem to be the case, right?

So you're from Brazil? From what I hear and see in movies set in Brazil... it's pretty much war everywhere there. A kind of third world country? Where gangs are everywhere, police very corrupt.... a third world country where everything is shiatty.... or is that only in parts of Brazil, only in big cities? Like every big city is like Detroit/Tijuana?

Sorry if this is my conception of Brazil... but please I would like your perspective on your country...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

As usual, Someone who doesn't agree with our 2nd amendment and doesn't understand why we have it uses only that which they choose for a reply. You left out " for any contingency" when you gave us your post. If you don't see whats happening in your country your living with blinders on. Your surrounded by dictatorial governments and don't see the threat to yourself. If what you believe is you are safe, you might want to read some history on what happens to neighboring countries of dictators!
Zindo

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I really appreciate your true interest in Brazil.

First of all: to really UNDERSTAND what Brazil is like you HAVE TO come here and walk around, get to know the places and it's people.

Your perception is based on propaganda and fictitious stories... but I do NOT blame you for that. If I had never been in US I'd also would think that there are two kind of people in US:

Paris Hilton mind on a "fat-cop" body.

Of course I'm simply putting like that, but is far more complex and absolutely not true at the same time, right?

The same for Brazil....

As you put it, a big city IS like Detroit/Tijuana... I think, pretty much anywhere in the World....
I mean, if you walk around in São Paulo, or Rio de Janeiro, or Salvador you COULD get mugged or robbed just like you COULD in New York or [insert large city with high crime rate here].

Gangs everywhere? Only if you mean "bank owners"... now THEY are really everywhere.

I'd say your description fits SOME PARTS of the above 3 cities mentioned by me, but not close to the rest of the country.

I live in a city with almost half a million people and it's described by some (brazillian and non-brazillians) as the perfect place to live.

But as I said it: you must come over to really see what I'm talking about... and forget all you heard from BIAS media about Brazil.... The same way I forgot that they tried to make us believe that US is the land of the free, home of the brave (which is half true, right?)

Peace

EDIT to add: U2U me if you really want to know more... I'd be glad to enlighten.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Sator]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yeah its interesting how other countries say " we dont have guns here and were fine".

However america was founded and defended with farmers with there guns, back in the day the gun was used to eat and defend there property and take there country from the very governments that now ban guns.

If Americans loose there rights to own guns it will not be America any longer, remember guns are equalizers, there tools that even out the odds. it lets 5 foot 70 year old lady have the same force as a 6.5 300 lbs robber.

I have guns for hunting and hope i never need to use them in a defence situation but do know that one responsibility has a gun holder is to defend the freedoms that grant me the right to have a gun. The 2nd amendment was not in the constitution so people could hunt, it was so they could defend against another or there own corrupt government.

Realize that back in that day and age a gun was a very utilitarian tool , much more so than today. Literally with out a gun you could starve.. the gun was like cell phones are today. And the forefathers knew that a corrupt government would try to take the guns away if they were going to take control.

During Katrina they did this they took people guns, and sadly they gun owners let them do it. If they did it there, they will do it again, be prepared.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Sator

As usual, Someone who doesn't agree with our 2nd amendment and doesn't understand why we have it uses only that which they choose for a reply.

WOW... hold you horses brother!

Who says I don't agree with your 2nd amendment???

I do... in fact, I think we (brazillians) should have something similar.... really!

reply to post by Sator

You left out " for any contingency" when you gave us your post. If you don't see whats happening in your country your living with blinders on. Your surrounded by dictatorial governments and don't see the threat to yourself. If what you believe is you are safe, you might want to read some history on what happens to neighboring countries of dictators!
Zindo

Zindo, my north-american brother.... first let's start with "any contingency"... you sound like "anything" could be resolve with guns... sorry if I misunderstood your post, but that's what's sounding for me.

Secondly lets talk about dictatorial governments: Are you talking about Venezuela and Bolivia? If so, I would not be much worried... in fact, Chavez and Morales are working VERY HARD not to piss Brazillian interests (specially those of PETROBRAS) because they are the ones in trouble if a full confrontation comes to happen. Have you look the size of the countries in a map? A dozen of Comandos (special army force from Brazil) through Amazonia could very easily make life impossible in those two countries...

Thirdly, as an ex-history teacher, let's talk about history and what happens to neighboring countries of dictators... they lose Texas?

Peace

PS.: (not checking for spelling mistakes, no time... sorry have to go now)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I just pointed out that here they are not registered here because of your post, but yes it is because of differing state regulations. California has some messed up government anyway (after all they ran their bank account dry).

Our SKS and AK-47s can only be semi auto as well (being caught with a fully auto is a felony unless you have a special permit and it could not have been modified to be fully auto). In this area where I live most people do not go to gun ranges you can go to areas (friends, relative’s house or your own back yard) and target shoot most of the time. Of course though that is not in city limits but out in the rural areas. I hear a lot of the people around here freaking out about the idea of new gun laws coming into effect but they forget that there are a lot and I mean a lot of country boys in this area that are not going to hand over a gun unless they are dead or handing out hot lead first.

I doubt much will change in the first 3 years as far as gun laws go. After all D.C. just had their gun ban lifted not so very long ago. That was a 32 year ban that was long overdue for being lifted and after it was more guns made it into the hands of owners who will not give them back.

Raist

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

You have one great sense of humor. About half my neighborhood is Brazilian. I worry for their families still there as they do. They speak of the problems and the same changes they see here, being forced on the home front. Thats where I get my opinions on where Brazil is headed. I did lump you in with many who disagree that our 2nd and I'm sorry if I was a bit trite. I tend to do that when I feel our constitution is being missunderstood. It happens so often on this board I get 'Gun Shy".LOL
Zindo

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I doubt much will change in the first 3 years as far as gun laws go. After all D.C. just had their gun ban lifted not so very long ago. That was a 32 year ban that was long overdue for being lifted and after it was more guns made it into the hands of owners who will not give them back.

Yeah... Lifted... in principle. In fact... you have to do a lot of jumps to get a legal firearm.

In all seriousness, I think he'll ban handguns in all major cities, ban ``assault weapons`` and increase taxes by at least 200-500% on ammunition... worst case, ban certain types of ammunition and ban handguns.

The more crazy thing they could do if they have a super majority in congress, which they might have... repeal the second amendment... but IMO, they won't try that unless they can stage some MASSIVE propaganda and some inside jobs blamed on ``home grown terrorists-militias`` beforehand.

Remember the bailout? 95% of people were against it... they passed it anyway. About 60% of americans would be against the repeal of the second amendment...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
In the past i never really even thought about getting a handgun. I've toyed with getting a hunting rifle, for just that -hunting, but never a handgun. Recently with the way the economy just doesn't seem to want to bounce back and some concern about my neighborhood and the way society just seems to be sliding i've decided i'm going to invest in one, even if i never have to use it. I think the rise in guns sales is probably due to similar or identical factors.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

1- I did not make that comparison.

2- I did not say "we are fine without guns".

3- I did not say it is wrong to have an armed population.

I was stressing that the first posts on this thread seemed to make a direct connection between the outcome of the US election and the thriving of guns sales. By what I could get, everybody is stocking up: those that want Obama to win and those that want Obama to lose....

It's clear how the DIVISION has been made in US....

Divide and conquer, anyone?

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ok, you know what...I'm gonna put myself in the hot seat and make a prediction. Ready? If Obama gets elected...NOTHING will happen to our right to posses guns. NOTHING N-O-T-H-I-N-G...Even if Obama wants to ban guns, it will not happen. The supreme court will throw it out. You heard it here first folks. Mark down what I said, because chances are, it will be one of the only true predictions you will hear come out of ATS.

Oh, and you know what else? Unlike a lot of the other fear mongers at ATS, I will actually admit I was wrong if called out after the elections, instead of molding my prediction to fit the situation.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by goldbomb444]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Zindo... I understand your motives now... thanks for making it clear....

I think what you are saying "where Brazil is headed" comes to the realization that Brazil -as to any other country- is not outside the world. So, if the world is getting a dangerous place, sure as hell we also should worry.

I'm not advocating that Brazil is a perfect place all together. I'm not saying we have no problems, nor that we are immune to any crisis (as our president like to say). No... we are real people, on a real country, with real good things and real bad things...

But to say we should "fear" Venezuela and Bolivia for their acts of teenager rebellion is a little too much IMHO. The fact is: if Bolivia or Venezuela comes down, Brazil will suffer some problems.... If Brazil comes down, they are lost.

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I see a potential for violence - and thus the need to be able to protect self, family and property - no matter which candidate wins.

Black leaders already seem to be calling for violence if Obama loses. And I, for one, see the possibility of a military coup (south american-style) if Obama wins and moves to gut the military as democrats like Barney Frank are already proposing in anticipation of an Obama win. I understand that Obama would be "Commander-in-Chief as president, but with his past snubbing of the military and American symbols such as the flag and natioanl anthem (which are also valued by the military), I wonder how much loyalty the military would have to Obama?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

And over 60% of Americans own guns I would bet too. The second amendment is here to stay unless they can get people to start believing the ultra liberal lies of guns killing people and you would be safer if no guns were allowed.

Seriously though if they went to take the guns from people any time within the next 3 years (it will take this long before things could possibly get back to full swing economy wise) they will be taking hot lead or from dead hands. Americans are very adamant about their guns nearly so as their family, house and car.

The bailout was something that many believed was wrong but would only vaguely affect them for the most part. The taking of guns on the other hand is like asking many to hand over their right arm. Doing so would start the next civil war that might actually flow over across both borders especially the southern border because of hostilities ready to pop as is.

Raist

[edit on 10/27/08 by Raist]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join