It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News: cell phone (FBI can listen when your phone is off) & you can spy; track w/google earth

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

As I suspected!

Not a one line post.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by raoulduke666
That second video made me think. I currently have a Nokia and sometimes my screen lights up for no apparent reason sometimes. No one in my house has a reason to install something like that on my phone or maybe I'm just being paranoid but its kind of disgusting how Big Brother or another can listen to conversations when my phone is OFF!

If you have a 2G or 3G -- web browser -- phone they can, and do, upgrade/load stuff onto your phone anytime. This is part of their new biz model -- adding interactive entertainment onto the actual handset -- by passing the carriers ala Apple.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

Originally posted by darkmaninperth
Only if they have access to your phone and install the trojan software on it first.

No. REMOB capability is built-in to cell phones, by design, with no physical access to the phone required:

If ordered to do so, mobile telephone operators can also tap any calls, but more significantly they can also remotely install a piece of software on to any handset, without the owner's knowledge, which will activate the microphone even when its owner is not making a call, giving security services the perfect bugging device.
www.ft.com...

I know people who, when in board meetings, put their mobile devices and laptops in a padded, multi-layered, mylar-type bag that is in the room with them -- i.e. they refuse to leave the device outside of the room, but apparently the bag works.

And taking out the batteries alone does not. You would still need to wrap the phone in foil as there are internal batteries that can run remote when activated in all 2 and 3 G phones.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So your freedom is slipping away? Please tell me that you think that using a radio operated device in the first place is secure and I'll laugh at you.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
And taking out the batteries alone does not. You would still need to wrap the phone in foil as there are internal batteries that can run remote when activated in all 2 and 3 G phones.

Really? I hadn't heard that, but I had suspected as much -- every story on this topic seems to contain the line "the only way to avoid it is to remove the battery from the phone." Seemed a little suspicious to me.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join