It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even if Parody, is THIS appropriate? Diet Book Author Advocates New 'No Food Diet'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
PLEASE READ THIS THROUGH!!!!!
I regularly check out the Onion on youtube and this video has generated (as of 10/26) 861 comments - most of them people angry that the Onion used this actress to portray the diet book author. The issue I hope to raise is when is comedy/parody over the line, if at all, and did the Onion go over the line with this? Now, I have a very specific opinion as of right now regarding the issue, but I wanted to see if anyone had issues with the video and why. I know this is a sensitive subject for many, and please tread lightly if you are unfamiliar with the Onion. Thanks and inlight of the fact this comes from the Onion, it has obviously angered a lot of people on the issue and made a lot laugh. I hope there might be some real discussion regarding this!

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The video might have been mildly amusing if it had been a healthy normal sized woman, or even a plump woman, but I found it tasteless. Making a mockery of anorexia was over the line in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

It could have been funny, if she was not so skin-and bones. I was destracted by how ugly she was and thinking... she probably is an anorexic in her real life.

But then again maybe that is the point, to show that eating disorders really aren't funny at all.

I find it intersting that a video showing a parody of anorexia is tactless, but this one from Youtube bashing fat people is considered classic comedy (read the comments)

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I thought it was funny. Eating disorders are the most deadly mental illness but even so, I don't think we need to get so uptight that we can't laugh about it (or diets, whatever). I know George Carlin would agree

It's really easy to sort of strip someone with an eating disorder of their humanity, so I'm glad the actor got to do this. People with eating disorders get totally surrounded from external influences worrying about them, and they also have their own internal factors. So making a "mockery" of it sort of breaks that external grip that can take hold of someone with an eating disorder. The scrutiny that people with anorexia get from the world can be pretty ridiculous.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Hey thanks you guys for responding. This is exactly what I had hoped for - some for and some against, all with reason. Thanks again and hopefully someone else may join.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Yes it is in very poor taste, but I think it's pretty funny myself. A woman who possibly has a eating disorder making a mockery of diet fads and the stress put on a woman's size, what is the harm in that?

I say, good for her! Bringing attention to important topics using comedy might be tacky, but it is also a good way of getting people to examine how ignorant and carried away they can get with things. It couldn't be more obvious that when it comes to diets, the focus should be on health, not appearance.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The first one, wasn't funny, not because it was tasteless, It just wasn't a very funny gag in and of itself

second one was funny but maybe went on a bit too long

I don't view anything as off limits to humor, it's a decent way to cope with uncomfortable subjects. When some one comes up with a better way to get people talking about things they don't want to that's not filled with negative emotions and sorrow, Let me know until then, Comedy serves a purpose.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
As soon as I seen her I somewhat cringed a little. Wasn't funny, but I got it. Seemed too desperate for visual laughs (or groans) than clever laughs. Pretty much for shock value than comedy.
The second one was from Madtv, As said before, funny but dragged on too long.

I believe you can joke about anything. It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is. -George Carlin

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Reply to Mopusvindicus

Yeah, that's true. Live comedy can translate the truth very effectively if done right; the Kramer thing is an example of it done wrong. I agree that there should be few, if any limits on what can be used. Usually when things go wrong (like that FOX News Comedy thing a while back), it's easy to spot the true pros.

Are there any out there who believe that this woman is healthy and not annorexic? Have you ever known someone who looks like her but is a healthy eating person? If you can believe that the woman portraying the author is actually healthy and just an actress, does it change your opinion on whether this is funny or not? Thanks!

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Reply to Mopusvindicus

Are there any out there who believe that this woman is healthy and not annorexic? Have you ever known someone who looks like her but is a healthy eating person? If you can believe that the woman portraying the author is actually healthy and just an actress, does it change your opinion on whether this is funny or not? Thanks!

ColoradoJens

It's possible that she was suffering from some other medical malady that made her that skinny.

But there is no way that she is healthy. That's for sure.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Reply to asmeone2:

Thanks for the posts - I am very interested in this discussion; one of the reasons I posted is almost immediately in watching the video, I said, "hey, that's aunt Ju-Ju". Aunt Judy is like a pied piper for younger people; living in Washington heights by herself, getting her Phd @66, having nightly political discussions in her apartment - having over 25 of her nephew's friends for thanksgiving and all of them walking away saying, man Judy is the best! We often comment that a strong wind would float JuJu over the Hudson to New Jersey. But this is just how she is? She does like wine and cigarettes...

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
CJ:

I'm considering making a thread about this specifically, but what struck me most is that it's "horrible" to make fun of an anorexic, but good comedy to make fun of a fat woman, when both conditions are equally deadly. In the same way anorexics take a bad rap for having an eating disorder, where fat women are "BBW."

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

You are correct and I would assume that most people have been personally affected by both diseases. The stigma is driven through a relentless popular culture in the US (hence the example); obviously it can't explain it all, but there is daily reinforcement that fat is lazy, ugly, bad and skin and bones is somehow "nearer" to the ideal. Sad commentary, but relentlessly enforced. Learned responses. Is it possible that the video is doing some good by showing this absurdity "No Food Diet" and the insane amount of "facts" ie "calorie chart - tennis ball 60 calories" drive home your point? Media and the amount of minutia(sp?) heaved at us make a mockery of our own abilities to think. I think the Onion is fairly smart and aware of this. Thanks again for the posts! Have a great day!

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That's what I said in my first post, I thought it was an attempt at wake-up-call-covered-by-parody.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Ha! Sure you did! No, just kidding - I realize that - I realized my last post had some bad grammatical errors and typos - I really was saying yes, you are right - interesting idea that only if done right can "work" - When is Calista Flockhart going to do an Eddie Murphy and play six different anorexic women in the hilariously named, "Meet the Sticks"? Hahaha that would be SO funny. Ahhhm. No.

ColoradoJens

new topics

top topics

join