It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Lovecraft Fan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Here is a page, with links to the text of several Lovecraft stories. Enjoy!

ia700209.us.archive.org...

One more with several download formats, all free, including Kindle.

manybooks.net...
edit on Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:42:37 -0600 by hotbakedtater because: added another link!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I've just started reading his works. Have read The Outsider, The Music of Eric Zann, The Rats in the Walls, The Shunned House, The Call of Cthulhu, The Colour of of Space, and The Dunwich Horror. Currently in the middle of At the Mountains of Madness.

AtMoM has been really, really boring. I found The Shunned Housea bit boring too. His style is too detailed, not so much a purple-prosey way, but in tedious, boring...... I'm not sure how to describe it. Basically I like his ideas, just not his execution. I don't care about all the little details about every rock and soil sample they found during their expedition (AtMoM), and I certainly don't want to read whole chapters dedicated to those details.

I did like the other stories though. I think he may be a bit overrated though.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Here are some links for those interested in the source of Lovecraft's ideas. The dream book is of a particular noteworthy read. Enjoy.

Lovecraft dream book

Scream of stars

Lovecraft and the Limits of Rationality

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hey all just dropping in to comment that i as well and a lovecraft nerd! as well as being a fellow Providence RI native.i visit his memorial head stone @! swan point cemetary on a regular basis. and am i HUGE fan of his cthulhu mythos as well as his dreamlands and weird fiction. HPL didnt just influence Fiction but he infulened the ancient alien myths hallow earth myths and such. its funny that you dont see much reference to him on here more.

PS if anyone has read his short story "the shunned house" i live bout 5 mins down the road for the real shunned house.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

Any chance you could photograph the shunned house and post it. And any other lovecraftian points of interest. Thanks.

?Are you aware that there is a real Cult of Cthulhu founded by someone called Derrick Dashaw.
edit on 9-4-2011 by Tindalos2013 because: Typo.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

You mean this one?

www.cultofcthulhu.net...

BTW bad news about the movie "At the mountains of madness",i heard that they have some problems with the production company and they stoped the project again.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
when i get a chance i will take pics of alot of lovecraft related building and such. also if anyones read shadows over innsmouth i work a seasonal job out on devils reef (block island) the olny things i cant take pics of to show you what they look like now is HPL memorial stone.his actuall grave(there bolth heavily patroled by secuirty) and the "church of starry wisdom" that got torn down back in the 80's. also a funny side note my grandmother and grandfather got married in the chuch that was the basis for the "church of starry wisdom". I know of alot of "cthulhu cluts/societies in the new england area. id say mabey 10% of them takes them selves seriiously and none of them have it right. though i did read a series of books by the oocult wrighter/scholor donald tyson. anyone into the oocult and lovecraft would love this. his therioies of lovecraft and his expierments with lucid dreaming lead to intersting conclusions and is a great read. he did the ficional biography of abdul alhazrad the mad arab poet and aurthor of the necronomicon.and also went on to do the 13 gates of the necronomicon,gimore of the necronomicon, alhazred:author of the necronomicon. he also has pleanty of books on enocioan majick(spelling???) and anyone interested. check out the book "cult of the alien gods": HPL and extraterrertrial pop culture.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

For aeons I have been excited by Lovecrafts universe because he shares with you just a touch of madness, just enough to draw you in and whisper in your ear a terrible secret. Some of his stories are badly written but when he gets it right the old ones awaken. Some speak of Howard P. Lovecraft being aquainted with A. Crowley and The Order of the Silver Star. I do tend to a few of the rituals of various Old Ones, prescribed by Phil Hines and 'Liber nasty' chaos magicks. You could even go as far to say it is my religion even though I dont actually worship Cthulhu or any others.

I like how other authors have added to the Mythos over the years especially authors Brian Lumley and Ramsy Campbell. And not forgetting all the fan fiction on the web. Some are really well written and I really would like to write one of my own someday.

I not heard about this film At the mountains of madness for ages, I completly forgot all about it. Could the film Cloverfield be considered a Lovecraft genre. I alway thought so. Big monster from the ocean and almost Dagon like in design and impossible to kill whilst infecting the population with disease.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
H.P. Lovecraft is one of my absolute favorites. The philosophy in his books hinted in a very prescient manner at things in our universe that even today we are only beginning to understand. But strangely enough I believe the future horrors that mankind may come face to face with will be the result of our abilities to transform the world through technology.

You've seen the rat brain robot, right? That's nothing. I'm sure we'll make medical and scientific history and horror at the same time in the future of mankind.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

i have herd that in the book of all of lovecrafts letters there is his correspondence with the golden dawn and possibly crowley and or the people that mentored crowley! i also herd the golden dawn adopted and mangled lovecraft mythos. i my self joking(90%serious 10%jokingly) claim to obey the ancient ones. namely cthulhu/dagon which to me is one in the same. i dont kill cats and throw them in the ocean but i do make art work in tribute to the lord of the green abyss. i have drawings that are very oocult related and probly some of the more chrisitan and anti oocult people on here would think me of as"an agent of satan" but satan to me is nothing but another boogie man/outcast/rebel story. those who remember "the horror in the clay" most of my art is horror ripped right from the deepest part of my brain just like lovecraft tore the olde ones from his brain. lovecraft died on the 15th of march but his body was put into the ground march 18th 1937 i was born on march 18th in providence RI. kinda weird. mabey its cause i have him on my brain i notice that i get very creative around the same time in late feb to eary april like in the call of cthulhu. mabey its just me mabey lovecraft got it right and he hid the truth in his stories and the golden dawn really did put a cures on him and gave him stomach cancer. who knows. i love his stories and i love the fact that i can ride my bike though settings of his stories and can be pround to say im from providecne RI. i love brain lumley his necroscope series is the best repesentation of vamps besides a few select others. i have a HUGE collection of lovecraft spinoff/fan fiction also movies the movie the dunwich horror is up there in my own opinion along with the first reanimator. i saw the silent move of COC and it was great. i want them to do at the moutians of madness as a silent flick. i think ATMOM main stream movie is gonna be like the world war z movie and will be in limbo foreve becuase it wouldnt be markeable to the main stream. thats the thing bout HPL he is fringe culture along with true romero esk zombie movies/books/comics the cheeky campy stuff is fine and good but i like my horror dark and grim.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join