It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Lovecraft Fan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It may be old news to some, but I just found out this week that there are some Cthulhu movies from 2005, 2007 and 2008. They are all on IMDB. They aren't related to each other in the sense that they aren't a series or anything, just three different directors doing their own thing.

I have the 2005 one on my computer now (Can't tell you how due to ATS T&C :p But I'm sure you can guess.) and should have the 2007 one soon. I couldn't find the 2008 one to 'acquire'. I'll give my verdict here once I watch them. The trailer for the 2008 one looked nice, but I didn't watch a trailer for the others; I just gambled on Cthulhu=AWESOME holding true for the movies as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
www.imdb.com...

That's the 2005 one. It's extremely low-budget and filmed in such a way that it looks like it was made in HPL's day. It's black and white and a silent film, which is unheard of in this day and age. Still, it's quite good, and I'd recommend it if you like this sort of stuff. (which if you're on this thread, you probably do)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
From what I remember of Lovecraft movies. You have Herbert West the re-animator, From beyond, And Dagon. I saw something about a Pickmans model movie too!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The 2007 one wasn't very good. It was far too disjointed to really follow what was going on, and the ending... sucked. Bad. That's all there is to say about that. A waste of time.

I'll take a look for those other ones you mentioned, hangedman. Thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
Great news! I am now eagerly awaiting this movie. thanks for the heads up!

Sadly we will have to wait a few more years. Del Toro was tabbed to do both Hobbit movies and that will consume about 2-3 years of his time. The good news is he specifically helmed these so Jackson could produce ATMoM and also to get some extra FX/CGI experience under his belt.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

...If you got the dough, pick up the boardgame of Arkham Horror, has a really good HPL feel for a boardgame, and is fun to play with like-minded friends...

I had no idea there was such a boardgame! Great, now I'll never beat my addiction to online shopping!!

The first Lovecraft story I found was "At The Mountains Of Madness" and it scared the life out of me. Then I found "The nameless City" and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and i haven't looked back. H P Lovecraft is a BIG influence on my work and I've devoted a lot of time and money collecting films based (even as loosely as some are) on his work.

What surprised me was the blatant references in countless films that I noticed after becoming so obsessed with his work. To go into sufficient detail would require a seperate thread but they're everywhere!!

When I found pretty much all I was going to by Lovecraft, I branched into the works of Lin Carter, August Derleth, L. Sprague-du-Camp and William Hope Hodgeson. Even managed to find a few copies of Wierd Tales, absolute treasures if you can find them. Right now, there's a plethora of Lovecraftian comics and graphic novels available.

Right now, I'm on a desperate quest to get hold of as many of his letters as i possibly can!!

[edit on 26-1-2010 by nyarsetna]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Ahh Lovecraft.... I've been reading his works for years. I highly recommend the lurking fear, Pickman's model, and the shadow over Innsmouth. Sci-fi ran a movie called Dagon that was based on that story. I hate to correct a mod, but the story you are refering to is Call of Cthulhu

Wrong is wrong, any way you slice it,

But in this case, seems I may have been correct.....

en.wikipedia.org...(short_story)

As I recall, the Call of Cthulhu starts with some story about artists going mad, etc. as told through someone's notes....

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Im reading book called The Call of Cthulu and other weird stories.
Its a book with many stories,I find it real interesting.The outsider was fasinating,his work inspired me to pick up my pencil and draw,nothing major
just fan work.
The book reflects real dark mood on me,I sink into the world of the stories that I read,its a rare happening.I really like his writing looking forward readin more

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The wikipedia page on Lovecraft had a lot of listings of where it's appeared in pop culture, if one is interested. I remembered seeing that when I was trying to ensure I read all of his stories...

There are other authors' works within the same mythos, and most such stories are just as good as ones written by Lovecraft, if you can find them...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
huge fan of his work,I've read buncha books,I also like "The Outsider",his stories are so vivid!
"The Shadow over Innsmouth" is also great piece.oh I could go on forever naming the titles of the books,endless.
the shunned house!if ya havent read it ,I highly recomend it.Some of his work has inspired me to do tribute photographing.

oh and I recently saw the movie "Dagon",its great!
lookin forward to see more of movies inspired by Lovecraft

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Locke23]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The Color Out of Space is my favorite Lovecraft story. The best aliens in fiction are those that are really alien.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Double Post.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Tearman]

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I love Lovecraft.When i first read his stories i couldn't sleep for days(i was 13).One of my favourites is The case of Charles Dexter Ward.
As for the movies most of them are a joke.I liked Dagon,Reanimator,Necronomicon and Out of mind.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No one has mentioned 'The Shadow out of Time', one of HPL's later stories, and his personal favorite. Has a more complex and nuanced psychological approach than many of his stories. Was first published in a science fiction magazine, rather than Weird Tales. Gives a sense of how he was expanding his reach, as a writer, even near the end of his life. Also good is: 'The Music of Erich Zann' a much earlier short story, notable for its relatively subtle narrative, and for leaving just enough to the reader's imagination to produce an almost perfect eerie effect. Ross

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I have an app on my android phone called Aldiko. It is an ereader, and there are about thirty Lovecraft stories available for free download.

www.aldiko.com...

I have not read Lovecraft, but am going to go ahead and see if I can't read a few of his stories over this holiday season. Sounds like I am missing out on some great work, in a genre that sounds right up my alley.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I don't know what you read, but Lovecraft's writings is a kind of mix of fantasy, horror, and a bit of science fiction all in one. Stephen King called him 'the greatest horror writer of all time', for what that's worth. Most of his stories are quite short, too, maybe 20-30 pages, with a few being upwards of 100 pages, so they are fairly easy to get into, as well. Just make sure you look up the definitions of the words "eldritch", "cyclopean", and "noneuclidean geometry"!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by Animal
Great news! I am now eagerly awaiting this movie. thanks for the heads up!

Sadly we will have to wait a few more years. Del Toro was tabbed to do both Hobbit movies and that will consume about 2-3 years of his time. The good news is he specifically helmed these so Jackson could produce ATMoM and also to get some extra FX/CGI experience under his belt.

I heard that Del Toro is not in the Hobbit crew anymore and the movie will come out at 2013.The only confirmed actor to be in the movie is Ron Perlman.

Here is the list for films,tv movies,short films and games based on Lovecraft's stories.I must warn you most of them are b-movies.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Just make sure you look up the definitions of the words "eldritch", "cyclopean", and "noneuclidean geometry"!

In most of his stories though, you can determine some of his stranger words with context.

I haven't looked these up, so anyone feel free to correct, but I believe:

ELDRITCH - Old arcane magic
CYCLOPEAN - Having one eye and being large
NON-EUCLIDEAN GEOMETRY - impossible shapes in three dimensions (think of the fourth dimensional shape)...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Just make sure you look up the definitions of the words "eldritch", "cyclopean", and "noneuclidean geometry"!

In most of his stories though, you can determine some of his stranger words with context.

I haven't looked these up, so anyone feel free to correct, but I believe:

ELDRITCH - Old arcane magic
CYCLOPEAN - Having one eye and being large
NON-EUCLIDEAN GEOMETRY - impossible shapes in three dimensions (think of the fourth dimensional shape)...

ELDRITCH-Alien,unearthly,spooky,weird,but i guess the meaning depends on how the word is used,so your definition is correct as well.
CYCLOPEAN-Actually being enormously huge.

BTW i love your avatars

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
I heard that Del Toro is not in the Hobbit crew anymore and the movie will come out at 2013.The only confirmed actor to be in the movie is Ron Perlman.

You are correct. IMDB has a new page that gives further details including that James Cameron will be executive producing this picture.

Glad to hear it was green-lit and will be out sooner then expected.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join