It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Nonchalant
Let them lock me up for visiting a banned porn site & watch them get booted out at the next election. Their loss.
Originally posted by Kryties
EXACTLY!!! I think the fact that Johnny Howard wasn't only kicked out of office, he lost his Shire too, is perfect proof of what the Aussie public is prepared to do to keep our freedom.
Australia To Enforce Mandatory Chinese-Style Internet Censorship
Paul Joseph Watson Prison Planet Wednesday, October 29, 2008 The Australian government is set to impose Chinese-style Internet censorship by enforcing a universal national filter that will block websites deemed “controversial,” as part of a wider agenda to regulate the Internet according to free speech advocates. A provision whereby Internet users could opt out of the filter by contacting their ISP has been stripped from the legislation, meaning the filter will be universal and mandatory. The System Administrators Guild of Australia and Electronic Frontiers Australia have attacked the proposal, saying it will restrict web access, raise prices and slow internet traffic speeds......
If the Liberals block legislation imposing server-level filtering, the Government will need the support of the Greens, Family First senator Steve Fielding and South Australian senator Nick Xenophon.
Mon, 27th October 2008 National broadband network bid process becoming a farce: Minchin Senator the Hon Nick Minchin Shadow Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy Leader of the Opposition in the Senate The Rudd Labor Government’s bidding process for its proposed National Broadband Network is becoming a farce, said Shadow Minister for Communications, Senator Nick Minchin today. Senator Minchin was responding to news today that TransACT has withdrawn from the Terria consortium. “With the Terria consortium losing its third member in a week, and Telstra refusing to lodge a bid, the Government’s NBN process is becoming a laughing stock”, Senator Minchin said. “Key industry participants are openly condemning the whole process and even questioning whether the nation really needs Labor’s NBN. “The CEOs of AAPT and iiNet have described Labor’s process as either ‘corrupt’ or “arse-about” and the chairman of TPG-Soul has questioned the case for a national broadband network as envisaged by Labor, given the availability of ADSL2+. “While Senator Conroy criticised the Opposition last week for suggesting a cost/benefit analysis of the NBN be commissioned, the CEO of AAPT said “we have got to come clean and say, does this investment really stack up?” “Senator Conroy needs to face the reality that his proposed NBN is increasingly being questioned and his bidding process is falling apart. “It is becoming increasingly doubtful that $4.7 billion of taxpayers’ money should be handed over to Senator Conroy to play with. On the evidence so far, that would be a reckless waste of money”, concluded Senator Minchin.
The federal government has formally begun seeking "expressions of interest" from Australian ISPs wishing to be the first to pilot the government's Internet censorship plan.
"The Government intends to take an evidence-based approach to content filtering at the ISP level and is committed to working closely with industry to address any concerns, including costs and impacts on internet speeds", said ACMA.
Support for the Government's plan to censor the internet has hit rock bottom, with even some children's welfare groups now saying that that the mandatory filters, aimed squarely at protecting kids, are ineffective and a waste of money.