It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supplies, whats the best bang for your buck?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I came to the realization 2 nights ago that it may be time to start stacking up. I know to get the basic supplies (i.e flashlights, tape, water, etc). But what about food.

Whats the cheapest/best canned food to get? Some things that I can get the most of, and spend the least amount of money, because I think that in this case quantity overrides quality.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Freeze dried. You cvan buy a year supply. But call now, I ordered last week and they called me to apologize. Due to the demand there is a 15 day backup.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I came to the realization 2 nights ago that it may be time to start stacking up. I know to get the basic supplies (i.e flashlights, tape, water, etc). But what about food.

Whats the cheapest/best canned food to get? Some things that I can get the most of, and spend the least amount of money, because I think that in this case quantity overrides quality.

Beans; kidney and pinto.

I would also venture to add fruit, even though it is substantially more expensive. Gotta have Vitamin C!

If you expand your horizons outside of cans, plain white rice is still the best thing going to fill your belly on short money.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I have recently purchased a 50lb. bag of rice for about $20 and the same with flour.
Dinty moore has a beef stew that does not need to be refridgerated.
Ramen Noodles,Ramen Noodles,Ramen Noodles,Ramen Noodles and more
Ramen Noodles.
Learn how to bake bread, it is fun for the whole family and will come in handy. Be sure to buy plenty of yeast, and vegetable oil, salt, sugar etc.
Here is a link for some awsome easy to bake bread. I am actually making it right now.How to make an easy loaf of great tasting bread.

Oh, go to sams or costco and get loads of SPAM!!!!!
It is good for years and will be great for protien, plus, have you ever had fried SPAM??? Friggin awsome on the bread that you'll be making.
I could go on forever.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

plain white rice is still the best thing going to fill your belly on short money.

Nope, brown rice. White rice is totaly devoid of all the goodness of brown rice.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght

plain white rice is still the best thing going to fill your belly on short money.

Nope, brown rice. White rice is totaly devoid of all the goodness of brown rice.

Well, yes, if you want to treat it with nitrogen and keep it refridgerated to enhance its storage life. Otherwise it gets a little funky after a year under normal conditions. Brown rice is certainly more nutritious, but also a shorter-term solution due to its fatty acid content - the hull (which is removed from white rice) contains these fatty acids that go rancid in a (comparatively) short period of time.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Bulk beans, bulk rice, bulk flour, raisons and peanuts (home mixed), potatoe flakes, canned soup, canned vegetables, powered milk, salt, pepper, spices, olive oil, vitamins, Ensure. Get receipes and learn to cook and eat these food now.

Also, camp stove, camp burner (multifuel is best), white gas, sterno, candles, matches, cheap lighters. Wood burning stoves are cheap and a good addition. Do you have clothing that could get you thru winter with no heat?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pernox

I am very aware of that, but have also read this.Long term brown rice storage have a read, its interesting.

Grain pro cocoons

Check out how much you can store. Tonnes.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hey simple solution and better than cans my friend, you can reuse the containers endlessly, and they stay fresher too.

Using this method you can re preserve food where you are according to the food available at the time, and carry empty and therefore light containers if you need to be mobile:

Pickling, also known as brining or corning, is the process of preserving food by anaerobic fermentation in brine (a solution of salt in water), to produce lactic acid, or marinating and storing it in an acid solution, usually vinegar (acetic acid). The resulting food is called a pickle. This procedure gives the food a salty or sour taste.

Now it might not be as modern or taste as you are used to but you can pickle almost anything at all, and when the Glass jar is empty re-use it, for lots of other things too,

to keep things dry,
to start a fire with the sun and straw,
to collect water and use as a cup/bowl

If really desperate you can put some sugar in there leave on the ground and eat the insects lightly fried the next morning.

Use it to reflect light, just put some silver foil around it and you have a Mirror!

To use as a place to Urinate/Defecate if stuck indoors like a tent, cave due to danger or bad weather, seal it, no smell and then after being properly sanitised, by using it to scoop up water and boil it can be used to preserve food again.

Much Much more practical in real emergencies than Canners.

Also with can's you cant see the food before you open the container, if the can has been bumped or not airtight you wouldn’t know till it was too late, and there is real risk of poisoning in this situation without knowing.

Strangely enough good Pickle jars are stronger than the thin Tin cans, however for extra life and protection some bubble wrap fixed to the outside with duck tape makes it even more durable still transparent and easier on your body through rucksacks etc as you carry it.

Have a range of very strong spices like curry, chilli etc and any meat you can’t preserve with pickling singly add the spices liberally to give a shelf life of over a year in that case.

Also depending on where in the world you are, using the glass jar laid in the very hot sun over a dark rock, or cloth background can really heat up the preserved food before you waste any valuable firewood or cooking material.

Just use the fire to finish off the food. this also reduces the amount of smell and smoke which is important if you have had to "Go to ground"

Cans can rust, a good jar can be buried under the ground and if deep enough with the coolness there be safe to collect squirrel like at a much later time.

Drying is another very good way to reduce weight and preserve food, especially fruits.

They are what I would use, and have done much in the past, there is one added bonus to the glass jar method, and with the correct top you can also use some of the fruit or saps from local trees and berries to make basic Wine and mead!!! for those long nights on the run from GWB and his Cowboys :-)

Anyone who says canning is purely talking about a static location where you don’t have to move and still have a safe secure workshop.

NEVER EVER SALT FOOD unless you know what you are doing, and how to treat the food afterwards, otherwise you will go mad like the seaman of Old days and go delirious with OD of potassium and Sodium. ONLY ever salt after practising many times first with quantities and how much you can eat.

Also its likely to make you very very thirsty, water NOT FOOD will be your main concern, which again can be safely stored in a glass vacuum jar, and will be much to valuable to waste on rebalancing your bodily fluids after an salt binge/exposure. You need salt, take as much as you can, add 10-20 grains into ever litre of water you drink if exercising much, and moving.

Most people would have massive salt carvings due the huge amounts in modern diets, however for the reasons above use it sparingly, its valuable, can save your life or kill you!

Now a glass jar 1/4 filled with clean water if left in the sun for long enough will leave you with the minerals and salts from the liquid, when the water has evaporated, especially if by the sea.

You can get a stocking or gauze and filter very muddy dirty or insect larvae water before boiling or distilling it properly.

Again how can you Can Salt? bit silly, so to keep it fresh and dry, and sugar too, and keep your matches etc in a Glass Jar is the only answer.

Nearly as wonderful as Swiss army knife, flint and tent in such situations.

The ultimate multi purpose survival piece of kit.

And hey who is going to barter or trade an old used opened empty can in such a situation, whereas decent Vacuum Jar with metal clasp lids, the ones that not screw on but you pull the arms down with a rubber seal on the bottom of the lid might in such a situation be worth more than there weight in gold, and tradable as definitely more valuable than the food they hold.

What’s a can worth when it’s opened? just a cut finger probably! and what would you do if you broke/lost an opener use your teeth to chew in?

Smoking food helps too, and should be done with any spare food you have left after a "Kill" or "fish" as a par for course with your fire at night, smoke any leftovers, spice them and use them with dried foods to eat as you move during the day. eating little and often.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Elf.
WikiHowTO

All this from a glass jar some bits and bobs and a proper rubberised and pressurised top!

If though you find yourself still with all this advise, and excuse the pun, in a pickle, you can take one of your glass jars, that has been keeping your paper and pensils dry and neat, fill out a Note and get your message in Bottle out to the world!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymousATS

Yup.

Like the avatar by the way. Ensure is disgusting!
but beggars in the future cannot be choosers, so better safe than sorry of you can store it.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

This is THE best survival advice you will get. i took it in late 2006, practised a bit, and man it rocks big time. If I am ever static long enough i will do it all again. One big problem though is how to get the pickling juices.

Thoughts elf?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well brine is very good and simple if by the sea,
but you need to cure the food for a week or so first:

For things like eggs and the like:
just use Vinegar, water and the herbs spices you want to add (which help kill off any yeast/fungi spores) boil them together and then cover the already cooked eggs in a jar and seal.

There is some solutions I believe that are like powdered spices that you just add to the water and can do it for you, instant pickling ! but ive never used them so I don't know how effective they are.

Smash or Mash powdered potato is another good thing OP.

Learn to Pickle, Dry fruits berries and nuts,

Get books from the library and photocopy all Fungi pictures showing safe and dangerous ones,

By some fishing line and hooks,

Learn how to set a trap.

Pickle away!

Kind regards

Elf.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
What no spam?

I kind of like the freeze dried cups of soup cant remember what they're called but they are about 25-30 cents a cup and you can buy boxes of them in the store. Kind of like the ramen noodles

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Laughed so much Spam ,Spam, Spam, Spam.
good old Python eh,

Thinking about this quite deeply,

A very very very well trained Dog!

Of Husky, or farmer type of species.

WTF?

Companionship, keep you warm if on the move,

Early warning System, defense against other hungry dogs & People bears etc.

and hate to say it if no food left to feed you and it, well Make like the Koreans and curry it as a last resort, will keep you going for some time!

On this same note, get horses, only eat grass/stray, you can use their dung for fires and, transport, hunting other animals,

And as a last resort?

PickledPony anyone for tea?

Chickens the ultimate thing, attracts dogs, foxs wolves snakes depending on which continent etc, which can be trapped and eaten,

EGGS DAILY! have a breeding pair, chicks kill the adults eat, pickle,
chicks become chickens, more eggs ad infinitum for ever, just need to grow store lots of Grain.

Be versatile in your approach if you have 6 months a year or 5 years of tinned food, bags of rice to the ceiling, what happens if its stolen, impounded, raided by vermin, infected with parasites or disease,

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE STORE RUNS OUT?

Any event needing such stored food will last longer than six months.

Versatility, multi purpose solutions are the only real options to survive long term.

Please realise guys if you need to use such stores even if you are remote you will probably at some point have to go Mobile, Escape or move for a myriad of reasons?

VERSATILITY ADAPTABLE SOLUTIONS is the key.

Many here might find these documentary series very interesting:

SAS Survival Secrets

And the King of finding, cooking, preserving food from all over the world is without a doubt Ray Mears

Here You Will Watch Him For Free Showing You How to Eat & Survive In All The Different Continents of the World An Episode For Every Situation

Enjoy
Sugared and Cooked Ants in the UK wow, dont fancy that unless have too, too crunchy for me:-)

Kind Regards

Elf

[edit on 27-10-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I've been putting things back for quite a while now, and admittedly have a quite respectable store now. In fact, I've got to build another cabinet in the basement.

We just buy a little extra each time we're at the store.

Don't forget the less obvious things that you don't think about until after you need them. Aluminum foil, zip-lock bags, etc. Baking soda is a big one. Stock up on the Arm & Hammer for sure. Then there's things like coffee and cigarettes. I know in my house, it doesn't matter how much food there is if there's no coffee and smokes...

In all our effort to make sure we have a nutritionally sound cache of supplies, it's easy to overlook things like chocolate bars too. The lift a hershey bar can give you during the end of the world is not to be underestimated.

As an avid mountaineer for over 15 years, I had a bit of a . start, as there was always a month or two supply of freeze dried food in the basement. However, it's pretty cost prohibitive. A couple of sealed sacks of rice and beans, along with some canned veggies can become pretty flexible if one is creatively inclined. My family has figured out how to eat the same thing every day of the week, and make it taste completely new each day. Spices are a huge deal. Things like cayenne and black pepper, garlic and onion, basil, oregano, etc. will keep you wanting to eat when you can't choose what to eat. A couple of CFL's will provide enough light for a decent size herb garden, and with a minimum of ingenuity, these lights can be powered by the sun on the cheap.

Remember, it's not just that you survive, it's how you survive.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
May I make a suggestion.

In a survival situation, there are two items that you cannot live without, regardless of how much food you have available.

Fat and Salt.

I would recommend you stock up on a bit of lard. You can literally starve to death without a bit now and then. Rabbits, squirrels, deer and such don't have enough fat to sustain your life. But - mix in a bit of melted lard now and then and you'll keep on ticking.

You absolutely have to have salt. You can eat all of everything wild, but without salt, you will slowly grow weak, and eventually die.

Oddly, these are two of the cheapest food items you can buy. Now.

One other suggestion. Sorghum molasses. Super rich in calories and vitamins, and won't spoil. A bit of molasses will get you through many a hard winter.

Along this line is honey. Honey will not spoil, is an antimicrobial, and in addition to tasty, very, very good for you.

The other items such as dried beans and freeze dried foods can be purchased, and then rotated.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I would personally bring a fishing pole, eat fresh meat every night.
Catfish, Flat., walleye, northern, basically all good tasting and very cheap, provided you are willing to do some night crawler hunting first..no?
IMHO...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

That would all depend on which Sit X we're surviving. Are there still fish? Are the waters contaminated? Hence the discussion on storing supplies.

I'm with you though. If the situation allows, it's fresh meat or fish, and veggies from the garden. A single decent sized deer can keep a family of four going for quite a while. Mix it up with some trout now and then, and the beautiful wild turkeys we've got hangin' around. Ahh, it's nice to be in Colorado.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

I'm new to ATS but have been reading posts on here for a while, especially this forum... on to the post.

I've worked out it will cost just short of £1k (£820 in rough calculations) for 1 adult to eat 2 good meals a day for 2 years. Based around no left overs the next day (no fridges and no point risking food poisoning for the sake of a meal). When I've finished my planning I'll post the excel file I've created (and the others research files I used for buying my Kit which is set to cost around £600 so far and Medical gear. I'm still researching this, and my essential plant / herb listing)

These meals are good and all the items will last 2+ years in decent conditions. (minus the breakfasts). They're all varied and include some fruit and veg each day too as well as Vitamin and herb suppliants.

My plan is to keep 2-3 weeks worth in my e&e kit (bug out bag) and rest will be placed in my chosen secure location that I will exfil to when needed. Or for a nice weekend away any time!! I will also have a selection of herbs growing ready for their uses both food and medicinal.

The idea was to get things I can forget about until needed. Buying the things as I go, with the longer shelf life things such as spam, canned tuna / cured meats being bought first and more perishable items when things start heating up and I feel its time to evac. (Tuna etc will last 5+ years and spam / cured meats indefinably so long as the cans remain in tact. Soure 1 on shelf life, source 2 - look near bottom for canned goods)

If nothing goes down in the next 24 months then I'll have a very nice camping trip and some stock rotation to keep the supplies current so cant loose really.

You may think 2 years is a long time, but depending on the situation it may be important to keep a reserve of food whilst other means are acquired such as growing veg / hunting. And you never know what will happen along the way. Maybe you will come across others that need some help or support for example.

Within the next week I'll have bought the first batch so I will be able to give you rough storage space requirements for the entire supply.

Well I hope this has been of some use and good luck!

new topics

top topics

join