It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good = God and Evil = Devil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Does anyone else think its a coincidence that with the two words Good and Evil, you can get GOD out of GOOD and almost Devil out of Evil? Was this purposely done? Or yet just another proof of God and the Devil?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
it is prob. a translation thang

when you translate words you get almost the same thang in the original language...

in the original language those words were prob. the same like how you mention them...

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just a co�ncedence, it doesn't happen in Dutch:

goed, god
kwaad, duivel

And certainly not in Latin:

bonus, Deus (Dominus is also used, but I'm that not good in Church-Latin so there may be other words that do resemble bonus although I doubt it)
malus, diabolus

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by amantine]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Groove. how could i be so dumb to miss that. I dont think they have links to an older language (greek, latin).

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
well spotted, ladies and bruces.
devil is also lived backwards. and live is evil.
of course god is dog, man's best friend!

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It is usually just the evolution of language to create new words in a similar fashion to older words with similar meanings. I read a really interesting book on it once, but unfortunitly can not recall the title.

PS For anyone reading Othello here is an interesting play on words in names: Ot(hell)o and Des(demon)a.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's all just word play. I wouldn't read too much into it. To be accurate, evil does not exist in and of itself anyway and it is certainly not from the devil. Evil is simply the absence of God. God did not create evil and the devil merely compels people away from God so that they participate in that which is not good, or, evil. It's like light and darkness. Darkness does not necessarily exist as a distinct state beyond being simply without light.

Back to what you asked in the original post though, words are just words.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by GregoryON520]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by GregoryON520
It's all just word play. I wouldn't read too much into it. To be accurate, evil does not exist in and of itself anyway and it is certainly not from the devil. Evil is simply the absence of God. God did not create evil and the devil merely compels people away from God so that they participate in that which is not good, or, evil. It's like light and darkness. Darkness does not necessarily exist as a distinct state beyond being simply without light.

Back to what you asked in the original post though, words are just words.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by GregoryON520]

in the beginnning was the word. and the word was god.
everything is a sequence of electromagnetic(light) vibrational multispectral changes. word up!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
billy bob said:
"in the beginnning was the word. and the word was god. everything is a sequence of electromagnetic(light) vibrational multispectral changes. word up!"

Nice use of the Bible billy bob. The Word is important, I agree. Jesus is the Word of God. But His Words are not our words. Our words can't even give God a proper name except for "I AM." All I was saying was that our words, "Good," and "Evil," mean nothing to God because they are just our words. He did not intentionally make them similar to our words, "God" and "Devil."

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
What you can do is find the history of these words, and see if they correlate with each other. figure out with words were created first, and take notice of geographical location and where they were first used. I'm guessing someone(s) wanted to get their point straight about their religious affiliation and create such words in order to hide it, but that's just one person's thoughts.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by IKnowNothing]

dub

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I once told by a close mentor of mine that english was a very angelic language.... the kings language... many words are more then word put together and have twists on things... for example, GOD=geometry of devinity... sword meant sacred word(you can cut someone with a sacred word) the english language has many words with longer meanings, its extremly interesting...

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hey Porsche...
Interesting in a way. God = GOoD and Evil = dEVIL.

Or, God = Dog and Devil = Lived. Ya know...

Anyhow, here's a good'un for ya: Universe. Uni means "one" and verse means "spoken phrase or sentence" - thus, "... and God said, let there be light."

One spoken verse - universe
And it came into creation. Etc etc.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think it's probably just a matter of etymology.

top topics

join