It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP fires strategist who sent email to Jewish communities in Pennsylvania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Pennsylvania Republicans are disavowing an e-mail sent to Jewish voters that likens a vote for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama to events that led up to the Holocaust.

"Jewish Americans cannot afford to make the wrong decision on Tuesday, November 4th, 2008," the e-mail reads. "Many of our ancestors ignored the warning signs in the 1930s and 1940s and made a tragic mistake. Let's not make a similar one this year!"

State GOP officials disavowed the e-mail and said the strategist who helped draft it had been fired.

"The Republican Party of Pennsylvania did not authorize that e-mail," Michael Barley, communications director for the state party, told The Associated Press on Saturday evening.

Source

Says the e-mail went out on Thursday to 75,000 Jewish voters.

For a political party that likes their guns it seems like the only place they can aim is at their feet.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What I find funny is that the Republicans supported Hitler. Mr. Senator Prescott Bush gave Hitler millions. Although lot's of Americans did before war were declared. But still, point remains.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

That's like saying that the Democrats supported Stalin (hardly a saint himself) and the Soviet Union because Roosevelt sent them billions of dollars worth of military supplies and equipment under the Lend Lease act during WW2. Its not entirely accurate.

In the 30s, during the run up to WW2, many saw the Germans as a potential counterbalance to what was percieved as the greater evil at the time, again, that being Stalin and the Soviets. That's the reason why many supported business dealings with the Germans at the time. Of course, we all know what happened. It turned out to be an awfully bad idea.

In the end, we ended up fighting a World War against the Germans. Almost immediately following the end of that, we found ourselves in a 50 year standoff with the Soviets that threatened to destroy the world.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Talk about blatant fear mongering. What an utter disgrace.

Imagine if the Dems put out a brochure in an African-American community saying that voting for McCain would be similar to voting for George Wallce or something of that nature.

To me it's this sort of thing that distracts voters and leads them to vote out of fear or anger rather than informed decisions.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Except Russia was an Ally. Russia was an Ally in the war against the NAZIs and the Japanese. Unlike the NAZIs who got millions from the Republicans.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This is really in poor taste. The email more than likely cost them votes instead of helping McCain.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Wow... The McCain campaign is really a flub! I'm sorry, but they're entirely disorganized, erratic and just messy... I fear a complete reflection of McCain, himself. The more I see about how this campaign runs, the more concerned I become about a McCain presidency. I mean, if he can't run a campaign, with all the resources he has, how could he possibly run a government, a country, the position of the most powerful person in the world?

And God forbid, he is unable to fulfill his term.

This little mistake probably just wrapped up the Pennsylvania (and maybe Florida) vote for Obama...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Not at the time they weren't. The Lend Lease shipments to Russia began in November of 1941, before the United States entered the war. The US and the Soviets really only became 'allies' once the Germans became their common enemy. It was less of an alliance and more each side using the other to achieve a common goal. Once the war ended, we saw just how much of 'alliance' it really was. It wasn't.

Business dealings with the Germans were being encouraged in the 1930s, well before the war started. Again, at the time, it was done as a counterbalance to the Soviets and was mostly a result of lingering anti-communist sentiment from the 'Red Scare' period of the 20s. Hitler and the Germans were viewed as the lesser of two evils by many Americans at the time.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

But Germany had attacked our Ally, England. Unlike Russia. Although if you want to get technical you could say the Republicans supported OBL since they placed him in power and gave him training and weapons. At the time it was to fight the Russians but they still supported him. It's all semantics and out of date. Hell let's go way back and say the conservatives supported England and were against America and wanted the evil rebels to be hanged as traitors. Or even farther back you have the liberals fighting with the church to bring about the end of the dark ages so I guess you could say the liberals really hate the church.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I definitely will not agree with you on the Revolutionary War period or prior. Those people were not liberal OR conservative in the modern sense. Modern liberalism, for example, is largely a product of the labor movement of the late 1800s, well past the founding of this country.

But yes, cooperation with the Germans did continue with some US businesses even into the period after the US had formally entered the war. It was stupid to do so, obviously, but just as it had been prior to the outbreak of war, widespread anti-Soviet and anti-communist sentiment was the reason behind it.

I suspect we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this matter. Well, that and the fact that the mods are after us now

[edit on 27-10-2008 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
A friendly reminder...

Mod Note: Stay on Topic – Please Review This Link.

Let's keep this discussion on track.

Topic:
GOP fires strategist who sent email to Jewish communities in Pennsylvania

new topics

top topics

join