It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopters attack border point with Iraq: Syria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
What if they got a Bin Laden tip?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
From The Associated Press

A U.S. military official said the raid by special forces targeted the foreign fighter network that travels through Syria into Iraq in an area where the Americans have been unable to shut it down because it was out of the military's reach.

Syria: US choppers attack village near Iraq border

Newer link

US special forces launch rare attack inside Syria

[edit on 26/10/2008 by lightchild]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I went and turned on the news stations here in Northern California and the only damn thing on is obama and mccain speaches yet again!!!!!! Not one damn thing on this is on the news. I take that back a small thing on the pakistan bomb raid from a drone just flew across the bottom on cnn.
I guess we arent allowed to know about this either.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thats because it really isnt that big a deal. It happened back in 2004 and 2005. Syria isnt going to retaliate or anything.

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
I went and turned on the news stations here in Northern California and the only damn thing on is obama and mccain speaches yet again!!!!!! Not one damn thing on this is on the news. I take that back a small thing on the pakistan bomb raid from a drone just flew across the bottom on cnn.
I guess we arent allowed to know about this either.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
They wont get ugly bro. All Syria has done and will do is protest. They didnt do anything when Israel bombed them last year and they wont do anything now. Basically Syria isnt doing enough to fight the terrorists who run from Iraq back to Syria so the US said they were taking matters in their own hands. Maybe this is a wake-up call for Syria to start taking controll of these Jihadists who are launching attacks into Iraq then fleeing back to Syria unharmed.

You just proved the point i was tryna make in my early post.

These new terrorists are called Siraqibans!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

A government statement carried by the official Syrian Arab News Agency said the attack occurred at the Sukkariyeh Farm near the town of Abu Kamal, five miles inside the Syrian border. Four helicopters attacked a civilian building under construction, firing on the workers inside shortly before sundown, the statement said.

The U.S. military in Baghdad did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An American commander indicated last week that the Syrian border area still presented a security problem more than five years into the Iraq war.

Syria's Foreign Ministry said it summoned the charges d'affaires of the United States and Iraq to protest the strike.

A resident of the nearby village of Hwijeh, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information, said the aircraft flew along the Euphrates River into the area of farms and several brick factories.

Some of the helicopters landed and troops exiting the aircraft fired on a building, he said, adding that at least one of the dead was a construction worker.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

I could be wrong but this sure seems like a big deal to me. I truly have a hard time believing that our Special Forces would of made the mistake of going 10 miles into Syria and killed nothing but innocent bystanders. If so that is a horrific mistake on the military's part, and if that is what it was sounds like they had a bad informant.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

what i hate is that i had to do a cnn search on Syria to find the story that is front page on the BBC, Sky News, Fox News, MSNBC yet CNN doesn't cover it?
Still nothing on the tv though. i was skeptical until i saw it on Reuters. If this will have major repercussions, it's still pretty unknown.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24
reply to post by t0ken

You do know that the US has been trying to negotiate with the Taliban along with the Afghan government. You do also know that the Taliban is not Al Qaeda right?

Yeh i heard about the negotations they were tryna make today.20 dead by a US drone strike,probably more than half were civillians.First the US claimed taliban were basically same thing as CI Al-qaeda but now they are tryna put a different spin to things because Afghanistan didn't turn out to be as easy as they expected.Eeeeeek!

Than US expects to get rid of terrorists by killing civillians in Pakistan.

But they are all terrorists.Case closed!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
No big deal?

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — U.S. military helicopters attacked territory inside Syria close to its border with Iraq Sunday, killing eight people in a strike the Syrian government condemned as "serious aggression."

A U.S. military official said the raid by special forces targeted the foreign fighter network that travels through Syria into Iraq in an area where the Americans have been unable to shut it down because it was out of the military's reach.

"We are taking matters into our own hands," the official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the political sensitivity of cross-border raids.

ap.google.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I honestly dont think they intended on this getting out so soon and it isnt on the news right now because the soon to be prez's are yakking it up on the main news channels.
what is the market system going to look like on Monday? Remember the BLOOD BATH comment that was floating arounf 2 weeks ago? Mabe they are behind on their to do list... who knows.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
this is on SKY NEWS
"Syria also demands that the Iraqi government accept its responsibilities and launches an immediate inquiry following this dangerous violation and forbids the use of Iraqi territory to launch attacks on Syria."

Marshall said the attack would cause "a flap between the three countries" but expected the situation to "die down".

"Syria is not in the mood to make trouble despite having its territory violated," he said.

I like Marshall, I think he tells it as it is, Lets hope so.news.sky.com...

I cant get the link working sorry, Can someone help me?
[edit on 26/10/08 by freemindmine]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
OMG

WTF are the Mad American Generals and White House doing?

There is every likelihood the Markets will "Really" CRASH tomorrow, and it seems they want World War, just like every other time in history in such economic situations, but are they Insane as well as megalomaniacs too?

Syria has massed huge amounts of Tanks on the Lebanon Border, and recently taken possession of a huge amount of Iranian and Russian rockets.

They could without a doubt turn most of Jerusalem to flames just with the sheer numbers of rockets and missiles involved up to 30,000 of them.

And also do it not from Syria proper but from the West Bank etc.

UN report: Ban Ki moon - Israel says Hezbollah’s arsenal includes 30000 rockets,”

mmm dig out my old notes stated here:
International Herald Tribune, March 4, 2008

Now Hezbollah is not Syria, I am not saying the rockets are in Syria, but most of the USA rockets were in Europe and not on home soil so to speak!
No Difference at all.

Syria unlike Iraq really does have very very scary WMD's one of the most efficient terrorist organisations in the world, with real global reach. Maybe even Nukes.

Its strategic position on the Coast is really important too, with the shipping lanes etc, and close proximity to Egypt and the Suez Canal.

This is in effect and ACT OF WAR against a Sovereign Nation State.

So America is now at WAR with Afghanistan (any idea of true control and occupation is a pipe dream, 10km away from most armed bases is their sphere of influence), Iraq, Pakistan, Syria.

Israel is about to have a snap election, The Iranian issue is brewing, and the world economy is collapsing, and they invade attack another country!

This is not like Iraq, Syria has some very very advanced weapons and highly trained armies, they are soo close to Israel too and all the worlds shipping in that area, very close infact to north Africa and Europe. Syria has rockets that probably can hit Rome now today is they wanted to.

WTF is that Mad Fu***ng Retarded Skull and Cross Bone Di&&head doing?

I AM SO P**ed off at this, it really is the final straw that broke the camels back.

Like in Rugby where I came from, we have a saying In Wales,

I support the Welsh, or WHOEVER is Playing against the English (due to the genocide carried out in Wales by the English many moons ago)

Well my good US buddies, and ive mentioned before I was very very in love with a Calif girl a few years back, I love your optimism, the grandeur of your society, the until recently freedoms for all, the confidence & the ideals of the founding fathers, too mention just a few.

However as of now,

I support the Welsh and ANYONE WHO IS FIGHTING THE USA

I wish no harm to the good American people but it seems unless your foreign policy is Stopped like right NOW I am very likely to have some serious Chemical, and Biological agents released on me from a country like Syria soon.

Kill Yourselves those who support this Foreign policy stance, but you aren’t going to have my support to Kill Me and My loved ones too.

Crazy absolutely stupidly insane and dangerous.

Anyone who reads history, and has more than one brain cell KNOWS there will be retaliation for this event.

Without a Doubt.
I will wager on it, within 6 months probably 1 month.

Syria will not let this go like Pakistan has. God knows what is happening in the Kremlin tonight to. Putin will be very very very angry at this.

SYRIA is a very serious Player and very proud of their nation.

Why oh Why?

Troubled Worried and pricing NBC suits.

Elf

WHAT'S WRONG BUSH DID YOUR OIL AND THAT YOU STOLE from IRAQ GET TOO CHEAP ON WORLD MARKETS?

Evil greedy, nasty, insensitive, narcissistic, and a first too, it seems they are the only males known ever to have the Psychological issue of Penis Envy, what's wrong bush is it too small, need to prove your manhood?

As you can tell I am very annoyed by this, I hope the post is in T&C but really this issue deserves some hard truth.

Did an Archduke just get killed by an anarchist?

Worryingly that might be the case now!

Syria Massing Troops Along Border with Lebanon

Eyewitness reports say that Syria is continuing to mass troops along its border with Lebanon, prompting the warning from the United States not to meddle or to intervene militarily.

Quoting Lebanese security sources, the Arab daily al-Hayat, reports the Syrian army has deployed tanks to the Beka'a Valley border town of al-Qa'a. Eyewitnesses also report that the Syrian Army has dug trenches and erected earthen barriers.

Well I would if was them too, with their arch enemies Israeli just on the border and America threatening Iran. And the recent Georgia Russian Israel CIA connection and thing.

Is any country in the world not on a heightened alert status now?

So they dug trenches in their own country and increased border security so let’s bomb them? Trenches are generally there to defend against an Invasion, not to invade.

The latest Syrian troop build-up follows a series of defence protocols signed Monday by U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defence Mary Beth Long and Lebanese Defence Minister Elias Murr.

The three agreements include a one-time U.S. gift of $63 million in military equipment to the Lebanese army. The Israeli Web site Debka File claims the gift includes a number of Cobra helicopters now stationed in Jordan.

Voice of America

As mentioned just like Georgia before Mossad and the CIA sparked it all off!
My god if I was Syria after being labelled in the Axis of Evil I would be building burning Moats! never mind some trenches!

At the 11 January 2007 Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Committee hearing on Current and Projected National Security Threats to the United States Statement for the Record of Lieutenant General Michael D. Maples, U.S. Army Director, Defense Intelligence Agency mentions Syria in fourteen instances, but makes no mention of concerns about Syrian nuclear activities, saying instead that "Syria has pursued development of a strategic deterrent principally based on ballistic missile, chemical, and, to a limited extent, biological warfare programs, as a means of countering Israel‘s conventional force superiority. ..."

Well mate you were about as right as C.Powell in the UN on Iraq.

As we all know an unknown nuclear reactor was operating totally and without any detection by Israel, or the UN or IAEA or America!

It appears that the Syrian nuclear program came as a surprise to both the Israelis and the Americans. Neither had previously acted or spoken as though Syria had nuclear ambitions, and both acted awfully peculiar after the air strike.

This would explain Israeli silence, namely that Syria had been working on it for years and the Israelis had not noticed until very recently.

It would also explain the complete incoherence of the US leak in the weeks after the event. If the US had already had a file on the place, the place name would have come out pretty fast, along with a coherent explanation for what it was, but this was not the case.

The sequence of events in the news coverage suggests that the US took the better part of September and October to figure out what was going on and figure out how they missed it.

Children playing with matches on both sides and in an increasingly full paper warehouse too!

Syria, not a signatory to either the CWC or the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT), and has not ratified BWC began developing chemical weapons in 1973 prior to the Yom Kipper war when the Egyptian government reportedly gave Syria artillery shells capable of delivering chemical weapons.

Since then Syria has developed a robust chemical weapons program, perhaps one of the most advanced in the Middle East, and a variety of delivery methods.
!!!
GlobalSecurity

RantOver

[edit on 26-10-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Find this on youtube, Not any more than we know, but here you go( so long as I can post a link!)
This is two line's now!
uk.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
We are taking over the mid-east for the oil fields and to protect Israel! Just what the Neocons and Vulcans want. I wonder how this is going to help with Joe the Plummer's taxes

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
These new terrorists are called Siraqibans!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This could be one or several different things, imo.

It could be just what was stated, a way to stop/slow down the flow of fighters/weapons flowing from Syria into Iraq.

It could be the capturing of terrorist who live in the comfort of Syria's arms when they are not killing people.

It could be a signal/warning to Syria which has placed lots of tanks and men on the Lebanon border where they have invaded before. (Basically warning them to stay away from Israel and supporting hamas terrorists)

It could be a CLEAR signal showing that Syria's claimed "high tech Russian" radar/missiles are not as good as claimed, and can be defeated/gotten past at will-Done by Israel and the US ( and that is just the 2 times we are aware of)

It could be an attempt to start a nasty new war in ME for oil/land/keep leaders in office..........

I read one "VERY" good question somewhere else, are the Russian ships still in Syrian harbor???????????????

We know adeam a jihad will rant like a madman-how about the DICKtator Putin's reaction????(Yes, I know he is no longer the Russian president, but we all know he runs the country, none the less)

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
remember folks that just few days ago we had a gas deal made by the russia and iran. it is hardly to belive that timing is accidental. they may try to protect the prices of gas in response to the lost on the oil trade but I belive it is more connected to the israeli threats. now you can imagine what will happen when israeli attacks iran? the russians will protect their new allies and we can have finally some WW. as I see it, it can be what all those guys wait for. it will clean the situation on the financila markets and noone will start asking where the hell those money really disapeard in?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The USA were lecturing Russia about international sovereignty two months ago. The Russians have a fleet present in Syrian harbours.

This is AN ILLEGAL ACT of agression against a souverain nation.

This is no less than a declaration of war to Russia, Iran and Syria...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This raid on the Syrian border town should come as no surprise. Not that I am in favor of it or of widening the war inside Iraq to other nations in the Middle East. I am not, and will continue to be so. It's just that with Syria allowing al-Qaeda and other fedayeen fighters inside Iraq to use their country as a safe haven has finally caught up with them and bit them in the backside. That is all. But like I said, I'm not in favor of widening this war inside Iraq to other countries. It's my opinion that we should be getting out of Iraq as soon as is humanly possible. I would like to say that if there is anyone here online that disagrees with my position, it's okay. You are allowed and I'm willing to discuss it reasonably with anyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join