It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF dragons are real, how are they able to breath fire???

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

I know they do that. You have read about in books as that was were the myths started? But how would that occur in places where that reptile does not live? ^^

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I would like to think they could actualy spew flames from there maw ^^' It may be a myth, but if someone said is was breathing fire, I would assume there was an infernoa coming from its jaws.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by veryrandomannonomous]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What would be the seeming difference to the person burned? Or the people who found the person with burns? Not much.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
i don't know if this has been answered already or not but i have a hunch. you know those annoying kids who can make saliva come out of the glands under there tongues well that's what dragons have and it works just like a flame thrower. the umm gasoline if you will leaves the glands under the tongue and exits the mouth but not before a piece of flint is struck creating the spark the dragon needs. i don't know if you know that like most animals dragons would have put rocks in there mouths my dogs do it i don't know why. dragons would keep treasure in caves and collect rocks. id assume the dragon would place the piece of flint some where in its mouth maybe near the teeth or if there mouths were tough enough due to being able to breath fire they could simply run there tongue across the rock making sparks igniting the gas and recreating a flame thrower action. i don't know if that answered it for you or if was already answered but there's my two cents._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoyoteFeather
i don't know if this has been answered already or not but i have a hunch. you know those annoying kids who can make saliva come out of the glands under there tongues well that's what dragons have and it works just like a flame thrower. the umm gasoline if you will leaves the glands under the tongue and exits the mouth but not before a piece of flint is struck creating the spark the dragon needs. i don't know if you know that like most animals dragons would have put rocks in there mouths my dogs do it i don't know why. dragons would keep treasure in caves and collect rocks. id assume the dragon would place the piece of flint some where in its mouth maybe near the teeth or if there mouths were tough enough due to being able to breath fire they could simply run there tongue across the rock making sparks igniting the gas and recreating a flame thrower action. i don't know if that answered it for you or if was already answered but there's my two cents._javascript:icon('
')

Hi

This thread is a tad old, but I will reply to your hypothesis.
Gasoline is very different from saliva. If you're talking about a flammable substance, from a biological perspective I think it would have to be an alcohol or a flammable acid. An organism is much more likely to produce that as a secondary compound, especially a flammable acid, than to produce gasoline... which is a fossil fuel comprised of millions of years old decayed matter.

Some reptiles can "spit," like cobras. So I would say that a spitting mechanism could be possible. Basically it's just a powerful release of a gland.

So you're saying that a dragon would have a rough tongue, perhaps toothed, that rubs against a stone that it keeps in its mouth in order to start a spark? Well, on the bright side, some birds are known to eat rocks. This helps them digest food in their gizzards. Sauropods did this, too. Dragons would probably be large lizard-type animals closely related to both birds and reptiles.

I'm not sure about having a tongue rough enough to spark a flint, though. That's not a typical trait for reptiles to have, but other groups of animals exhibit that trait. I ask you, though, how could a spark form when there is probably moisture (saliva) in the dragon's mouth? Most organisms have some sort of saliva to begin the digestion process in the mouth.

I don't think that dragons collect treasure, exactly. Some birds, like the male bowerbird, take pretty extravagant objects to their nesting sites. I encourage you to check out this behavior of hoarding here:

So, regardless, I think that ethological process of a reptile holding a stone in its mouth, not swallowing it, and using a motion with its tongue to create a spark at the same time that it excretes a flammable liquid from its mouth seems very, very complex. Reptiles are smart, but not that smart. Their brains are constructed in a very different way than ours, and the regions that control our thinking and planning and coordination are much less advanced in reptiles. I'm not saying that this is impossible. I'm just saying that I really don't think it's likely to have occurred.

Here's why:
This process would take a great deal of energy expenditure, coordination, and time. (The time to get the rock, the time to actually do these motions during a time when the organism needs to do so, etc.) There would need to be a REALLY good reason that the dragons evolved to breathe fire. I don't think it's likely because breathing fire is a really inefficient way to defend and/or kill prey. It takes the creation of a secondary flammable compound (according to your theory) and a lot of energy. Plus it's not like the prey or the threat to the dragon is just going to wait while the gland produces enough of the substance to propel a large flame and while the dragon lights a spark with its tongue, on the off chance that dragons lack saliva or are somehow able to light a spark regardless of the saliva in the mouth. The target is going to move away or become harmful. It is much more efficient to utilize strong teeth, claws, and perhaps venom, in combination with speed and strength.

I really, really just don't think so. But A+ for a creative approach!

I could be wrong about this. But from a zoological and evolutionary, ecological standpoint... it wouldn't be efficient.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Well, I did a quick scan through this thread and was surprised that none of you hit the mark about the explanation of the fire-breathing dragons of legend and lore.

They actually exist for real, and here's a url with which you can find out for yourself:

divinecosmos.com...

DAVID WILCOCK (DW):They call it the Ropen. There’s... Zambia and Zimbabwe also, in Africa, have legends of it. They call it the Kongomoto. If you go over to the Native Americans there’s something called the Thunderbird. If you actually analyze the legend of the Thunderbird it’s precisely the same thing again. It actually... They’ve drawn pictures of it and it looks like a pterodactyl.

Now, another thing that’s very strange is that when one of these creatures first comes through the time portal it’s energy is still kind of flip-flopping between space and time; it hasn’t fully landed into space-time yet. And because it still flip-flops through time and space it hasn’t fully materialized which means that some of it is going to appear more like a wave than like a solid object.

As soon is it turns into a wave it becomes light. So until it fully consolidates into our space time it has a glowing effect. It’s an uneven effect and, for whatever reason with these creatures, it typically glows reddish orange.

So you will see, for up to five minutes at a time, the creatures body will have this reddish orange that’s fluctuating all over the surface of the body. Now, what do you think a reddish orange glow could be interpreted by primitive people as being? What do you think they might think that was?

TM: Geez! Space people, God, all sorts of stuff.

DW: Well, if you see something flying through the air, and it has this flickering reddish glow on it, what do you think that glow might be? What would you say is happening to the creature if you’re a primitive person?

TM: I have no idea.

DW: It’s on fire.

TM: Okay, it’s on fire.

DW: Because it’s a reddish orange glow; you’re seeing the thing glowing.

TM: Mm-hm.

DW: Now, what if these creature used to get through a vortex over England very easily before the Earth shifted to make that less favorable for them.

TM: Okay.

DW: You see where I’m going with this? What do you think they might have called it in the ancient medieval legend in England?

TM: A fire breathing dragon?

DW: A fire breathing dragon. Exactly! Because if you look at the pictures of the dragons, which remember now Viking ships had the heads carved right into the ships. The legends go back and, in fact, if you go to dictionaries that are only a few hundred years old they say that dragons are a legend in which people were seeing them.

And there's a bunch more information about the fire-breathing "dragons", as well as other dinosaurs that have accidentally time-traveled from their realities to our present realities, fully present, physical and able to kill/eat people. And people have been able to kill/eat the dinosaurs as well.

I had fun editing this radio transcript when it came across my desk, as it was fascinating information that settled my long-held questions about the fire-breathing dragons, thunderbirds, etc.

Often the truth of reality can be stranger than fiction, but true nonetheless.

~Mozart

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
dragons had 2 pairs of lungs, one for breathing and another for holding carbon dioxide.(so i think thats the chemical). Dragons chewed on rocks to get magnesium. When these chemicals combine in would create a flame. The mouth of a dragon was naturally very rough keeping the dragons mouth from being scourched. I got this info from the discovery channel. They actually found a well preserved dragon fossil. It still had flesh. Google

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Goodness. Please, please take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Historical- I'm going to be as concise and nice about this as possible. A ropen is a cryptid, like bigfoot, like a dragon, like Nessie, most closely related to the Thunderbird. There is no evidence that ropens exist or have ever existed, although there is the hypothesis that it was a form of surviving pterodactyl and there have been a few sightings. But it's a cryptid, not a real zoological entity. In addition, that source cites that the fire is produced because the ropen can shift through time and space. I will leave this to physics experts, but I'm saying that I don't see this as being possible, and definitely not likely. It doesn't mean it can't happen. I just really, really don't think that is a good explanation. I call it a stretch. A large stretch. But if you can provide more evidence about the physics of dimensional shifts, the red glow, the existence of pterodactyls in conjunction with humans, then I'll take another look.

-zLFz- - Please provide a Google source, if there is information about this on Google. Primarily, however, lungs function synchronously. Both lungs have identical function in every organism that has lungs. Why would dragons evolve to have two differently-functioning lungs? Also, dragons would inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. Lungs are not storage organs. I also don't believe that having a rough mouth would prevent damage from the flame. They would chew on rocks to get magnesium, how would the magnesium combine with the chemicals? Debris cannot enter the lung. There would have to be valves to control the expulsion of whatever chemical causes the reaction to create fire.

Like... okay. Fire is really cool. Fire-breathing reptiles would be really cool. But fire is a totally INEFFICIENT method of predation and defense. That's what I want you to prove.

Why would breathing fire be beneficial and worthwhile, with all the energy that would need to go into it, why would it be better than other options? Why would it have evolved? Why did only dragons have it?

All systems go.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

while it may not be fire it self but dragons could have a chemical reaction inside them that make water heat up to 10000 degrees ik that a bug can do that for attack and deffense its in africa so people that thought it was actually fire could have just seen the things that caught on fire on instant touch.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
books.google.com.au... PwQ4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XPlLUYORNbCjiAeskYAw&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBwreply to post by dreamdragon

www.abovetopsecret.com...www.blackdrago.com...

A lot of modern day science is taken as solid fact when the actual solid fact is that these are all sceintific theory's....theory by definition "maybe from the evidence it was or is like this".....
How about we consider the fact that only Dinosaur "thunder lizards" bones have been found and put together by the best educated guess's of sceintists a lot of the time with bones missing and they've filled in the gaps....
As far as I know no organs have been found have they? No fully preserved dinosaurs?
Who can really say with certainty that none of the dinosaurs had organs that allowed them to breath fire?
They say they evolved into birds and learnt to fly is that really any less strange a thought than evolving to breath fire? Or that some dinosaur bones have been put together wrong and are actually the mythical dragons of old.
According to science there where giant flying reptiles pterodactyls etc is it really such a big jump to say they could also breath fire?
As I first stated science makes a lot of assumptions and once accepted are rarely challenged and those that do are mostly shunned or made fools of.Think of some of the scientific theory's that are now pretty much taken as fact...
E=mc2
Black Holes
Quantum Physics
Evolution
The big bang
String theory

No one has ever actually seen these very strange and wonderful things! They are all "theory's"!!
Accepted as fact!

As other posts on this thread have stated nearly every culture on the planet has some form of dragon in their myths/historic sagas...from the mayans, incas etc to china and Japan to the Vikings even Australian aborigines had the rainbow serpent!! Could go on and on the Sumerians etc etc
Sometimes life is stranger than fiction
Remember those that thought the world was round where once laughed at.
Keep an open mind!
edit on 22-3-2013 by Anonbeleiver77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinCobra

That's pretty close to what I was gonna say, about their teeth being the spark...almost an organic type of flint...Swedish fire steel. I didn't consider the source of the gas though lol.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
some people, for some reason, that dragons are real...

Some people ________________ that dragons are real?

I do not know a single person that ______ that dragons are real.

Except giant lizards, saw a giant gila monster in my backyard the other year,
now that thing looked like dragon without wings.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

ok...

how are they able to breath fire???

just a thought...

I think dragons are simply mankind's folk memory of living dinosaurs. There are plenty of reports - even modern ones - of dinosaur sightings around the world. The 'fire-breathing' ability was probably just a little poetic license on the part of storytellers over the years to make them sound even more ferocious...

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
dragons are not real their mythlogical fictious beasts . stop waching the hobbit before bed

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Theres a fictional documentary that goes deep into this prospect. Its by the same people who made "walking with dinosaurs". I think its called flying with dragons. Its real well done CG. The dragons eat limestone i think and the digested sulphur gets belched and they ignite it with an electric eel sort of organ in the roof of tgeir mouth. There's also a cartoon called a flight of dragons that talks about the same thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
People can breath fire too, you just have to eat a lot of turkey for thanksgiving bend over put a bic lighter next to your butt and blow

you get fire

sooo... pretty easy to get a fire breathing dragon

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Dragons are the comets of old that covered our skies. The cleansers...They had firery heads and tails. The great dragon wrapped her tail around the earth for three days and caused the three days of darkness and light. Fire and rock rained down upon the earth and the seas left their beds and the landsliped . Dragons did breath fire and they will again. But your definition of a dragaon is a more of a modern idea of what a dragon should be.
edit on 6-4-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: they see ALL

ok...

just a thought...

may be they are alcoholic and light a smoke then burp which in turn makes them breath fire. I know im an idiot but if humans can do it why not dragons , cant they talk too .

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: they see ALL

ok...

just a thought...

Maybe, (much like cows) their bodies produce abnormally high amounts of methane gas that could be belched or spewed at will in the direction of their adversaries.

On the other hand, how it became ignited is another question all together.

Could it be possible that their ability to actually breath fire is an exaggeration and that maybe they spewed methane, or some other flammable body fluid, that ignited when it came it contact with ignition sources on the ground? Things like outdoor cooking fires or handheld torches, etc... that were much more common at the time?
edit on 21-9-2014 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join