It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene linked to transsexualism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Gene linked to transsexualism

www.cosmosmagazine.com

SYDNEY: The first genetic link to male-to-female transsexualism provides new evidence of its biological nature, say Australian researchers.

"There is a social stigma that transsexualism is simply a lifestyle choice, however our findings support a biological basis of how gender identity develops," said Vincent Harley a geneticist from Prince Henry's Institute in Melbourne and co-author of a new study detailing the find.

Gender identity

Gender identity, an inner feeling of being male or female, is usually identified at an early age. Transsexuals, however, identify with the sex that is opposite to their biological sex.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
An extremely interesting idea, I think.

So many people are outraged by transsexuals claiming that it is un-natural, against God, morally wrong or perverted so it is pleasing to see what science is claiming is the reason why so many of these transsexuals feel that something is 'wrong' at an early age.

Also the way it suggests it is biological rather than psychosocial factors demonstrates that it simply can't be helped.

With a bit of luck this will help people shift towards accepting people who are different to them and not judge someone - based on what they perceive to be a 'lifestyle choice.'

Food for thought, I think.

So, we have many, many extremely religious people and some members who are against anything they see as different, here on ATS. While I'm not saying that you all think that transsexuals are wrong - I'm wondering - does this article change anyone's view?

Peace,

MGGG

www.cosmosmagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
We lived in an area which attracted a number of transsexuals, possibly because the casual lifestyle lent itself more to acceptance.

A couple of transsexuals imprinted themselves fairly strongly in our memory, because they were such interesting characters.

The most fascinating was a woman named 'Debra' who attended a course at the same time as we did. Debra said she'd lived as a woman for several years before gender reassignment surgery. After her surgery, she had super-massive breast enlargement which she flaunted, lol, at every possible opportunity. In fact, she created opportunity.

Don't think I've ever met anyone as promiscuous as Debra. For example, she decided to join an upmarket gymnasium but lacked the money. She returned at the end of lunch-break, preening and readjusting her top to expose the maximum amount of created-cleavage and announced with a grin that she'd slept with the gym manager in return for membership. Not an ounce of shame. Debra exploited her sexuality with gusto. She liked her men very young, but made her living from mature men.

On another occasion, she informed the entire class that she'd now slept with every member of a local football team and in return for her favours had instructed some of the men to engage in homosexual intercourse, which she videoed.

Debra slugged a female motorist at traffic lights one day when the woman tailgated her.

There's no doubt that Debra was entertaining. We enjoyed her company most of the time. But one day in class she revealed a grossly misogynistic streak when she described female genitalia in the most coarse, dehumanising language imaginable. Someone turned to Debra briefly and told her that she sounded 'like a woman-hating bloke --- or a faggot in a dress '. It was one of the few times Debra blushed. She knew she'd blown her carefully created cover I think.

After several months of observation, it was our impression that Debra was in no way a 'woman'. In any case, she'd already revealed (and laughed about) how easy it had been to 'con' the obligatory psychiatrist into believing she 'felt like a woman inside', in order to gain gender reassignment surgery.

We were forced to the suspicion (and others were of the same opinion) that Debra was an ordinary homosexual male --- with large, silicone breasts (these being her chief drawcard).

Debra revealed she was addicted to 'snuff' movies .. said she had a large collection. And she was heavily involved in sado-masochism (it formed a substantial part of her income).

She had absolutely NO maternal instinct and badly mistreated her unfortunate animals. She loathed children .. described them as 'rats' and worse. Although she did have a shrine in her home to Elton John and Lady Di.

She was incredibly narcissistic and self-absorbed and spent a lot of her time online seeking encounters with individuals who were proudly gay.

Debra was brash, aggressive, ready to fight with her fists and extremely promiscuous. She was also considered by the 'experts' to be a transsexual 'success story' .. a woman in a man's body who'd been rightfully provided a female body and who lived and functioned in society 'as a woman'.

Debra's ambition was to operate an up-market cross-dressers' private club which catered to its members every need, from beauty treatments, undergarments, wide range of specially-constructed clothing, gym, nightclub, etc.

Debra remains a puzzle. But if she's a woman, then she's unlike any woman I've ever known. And if there's a gene alleged to be responsible for Debra, it must be some sort of mutation.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Interesting story there...LOL

Perhaps Debra wasn't a strict TS, as you suggest, and just using looking feminine to trick unsuspecting men who she would have had no chance with as a homosexual male into bed.

I'm sure she would give some professionals a very interesting time - psychologically speaking.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
- I'm wondering - does this article change anyone's view?

I doubt it, but thanks for posting the info.

As someone with firsthand knowledge of transsexualism, I find the notion that people consider it "a lifestyle choice" quite comical. It is and always has been a wiring (or plumbing) problem. I knew science would figure it out someday.

Even if it is determined to be purely biological, I doubt it will make it any more acceptable or less threatening.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

Despite all, we often speak of Debra with fondness. She was a truly fascinating character -- larger, much larger than life.

I'm unable to say more about her here, otherwise she might recognise herself. Suffice to say, Debra was both more and less than your typical male/female and extremely intelligent and accomplished in some truly rare lines of work.

Interestingly (and she raised this issue heself) her only other sibling was gay .. and their father's work involved exceptional risk at very deep sea levels and electronics. Debra suspected / believed (depended upon her mood) that her father's profession was responsible for her own (?) and her brother's sexual orientation.

I hope she's not reading in ATS, because this story (from Debra herself) is too good to keep to myself. After spending a couple of hours online talking to what she described as a 'really great guy' ... Debra finally realised she was talking to her own brother (who lived interstate). She roared with laughter when she told us. But I don't think she told her brother who she was .. which I find even funnier.

new topics

top topics

join