It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Cooking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Two food sources that would defiantely be overlooked and a source of protein

1: Earthworms

purged on clean soil-houmus for a few days and them roasted until dry can be ground into a powder and added to soups/stews for added minerals/proteins

2: Moths

Take care to identify whether they are a poisonous variety first!

Erect an A-frame, drape with a sheet, and then put a bright lamp underneath to attrach them, swat them as they settle on the sheet, and then drry/gring and use as above

I've tried the worm-meal before and added to a pot-noodle, and kinda tasted 'bacon-y' but would need more research into moth-types before consuming so as not to get poisoned from ie: 'deathshead' moth

edit to add:

if you have an allotment patch, slug/smail traps may be a good source of food, and possibly aphids if you knew the variety of plants they had been feeding on first, as they will accumulate and concentrate plant-toxins if they eat any that produce those kind of chemical defences

[edit on 10-11-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Smokeing_Gun
I have eaten bugs before I don't have alot to add but in the case of ants, if you are eating them alive, ensure to remove the heads, the mandibles can deliver a nasty bite to the toung. trust me I know. Also it makes sense to take notice of stingers and what not, just common sense.

[edit on 10/11/08 by The_Smokeing_Gun]

The ants are well dead and smashed. Well, we can actually keep to plants and avoid bugs if possible. Like I mentioned, if u adapt your body to higher fibre diets like asians, then you'd find it easier to keep off the proteins from bugs. =)

If you don't need the protein, you don't need the bugs. My advice, switch to vegetable diet anyways. Easier to find plants than bugs. and beside, keeps u lighter and easier on your feet if you have to move around.

And keeps you cancer free! =) meat as a source of cancer was proven somewhere.

If you have to go into the wild, i advice packing some dried fruit and nuts. They are sweet and give an awesome burst of energy after you've spent energy digesting them. which means you might be tired first then energetic later.

One thing though, eating requires energy and water for digestion.

If you are really into eating bugs....I know some people are... Please for God's sake....cook them.

Seriously.

and yea, thanks for adding to remove stings and heads. Forgot to mention that.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

After living in the woods for months at a time, Ive found that a diet of moose and salmon gets old real quick..A small assortment of spices, gravies or even bullion cubes, helps livin up a dish. Pack some dried fruits, nuts and candy. And pack along something different, something special, it'll breakup the monotony, forget the extra little bit of wieght. Believe me it's worth it

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I've found in long term situations that a Hay bale box is excellent for cooking.
It can be strapped to a horseback or carried in a vehicle and your food is cooking while you're on the move.
I was raised on this method and swear by it...I come from a long line of paranoid survivalists

I have a PDF of instructions on how to build it (very simple and quick)
If anybody would like them please u2u me and I'll be happy to share!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Mate - you will be happy to cook on anything if you will find meat and fuelwood in a real survival situation.
One piece of advice from the Far North - you can use dry bones - those burn and gives heat, you will need a fatty piece of skin below small pile of bones to make this working.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Prometheus Ascendent

You are right. Our digestion is not capable to handle chitin (also mushrooms contain it). On larvae - put off chitinous heads and legs, also guts. Eat only "the white meat". And yes - cooked ones are better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join