It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You could already be dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
You know those dreams you have that feel so real that you swear they are? Being able to imagine everything, right down to that last little detail. Yet only lasting a maximum of 5 minutes, it seems like hours or days.

All of us could be living a dream. A dream so intense that we 'feel' it is real. Yet in reality it really isn't. So saying that, can you prove you aren't already dead and just living a relapse of your life? A flash back?

If we are already dead, then who's dream are we living, mine? Yours? Or maybe some random bug living in Japan.

Who would think that the brain could create such a brutal world. Why destroy something you made? If this was my dream, I would have no thing as war, everyone would be equal ruling out the need for a government. But it isn't so it's not.

What proof do you have that you can say this isn't a dream?

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Nyte Angel]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Or perhaps we are merely players in someone else's dream.

Just hope they don't develop lucid dreaming and suddenly decide to snuff us out and go astral travelling instead.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Holy philosophy batman!

I've heard this premise posted before, however I'm in no position to intelligently discuss philosophy.

Just out of curiosity though, If this were a dream, what function would sleep and our dreams during that sleep be?

dream within a dream?

Philosophy makes my head spin.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I know a guy who got shot in the face, point blank, with a .44mag, and incredibly lived to tell about it.
He sat in my living room one night, telling his story to us, and it was quite fascinating. It involved a whole "fight sequence" where he was diving behind furniture, and struggling with his assailant for control of the gun, all of which he later learned had never happened. His brain made up all of that. In reality he just stood there and got shot in the face.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by tjack]

[edit on 26-10-2008 by tjack]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Master Zhuang, was a Chinese philosopher, who is supposed to have lived during the Warring States Period, corresponding to the Hundred Schools of Thought. His name is also transliterated as Zhuang Zi, Zhuang Zhou, Chuang Tzu, Chuang Tse and Chuang Chou.

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things.

During our dreams we do not know we are dreaming. We may even dream of interpreting a dream. Only on waking do we know it was a dream. Only after the great awakening will we realize that this is the great dream. And yet fools think they are awake, presuming to know that they are rulers or herdsmen. How dense!

en.wikiquote.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.

Once Zhuang Zhou dreamed he was a butterfly, a fluttering butterfly. What fun he had, doing as he pleased! He did not know he was Zhou. Suddenly he woke up and found himself to be Zhou. He did not know whether Zhou had dreamed he was a butterfly or a butterfly had dreamed he was Zhou. Between Zhou and the butterfly there must be some distinction. This is what is meant by the transformation of things.
One night, Zhuangzi dreamed of being a butterfly — a happy butterfly, showing off and doing things as he pleased, unaware of being Zhuangzi. Suddenly he awoke, drowsily, Zhuangzi again. And he could not tell whether it was Zhuangzi who had dreamt the butterfly or the butterfly dreaming Zhuangzi. But there must be some difference between them! This is called 'the transformation of things'.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Wow

I was making that post, took a moments pause for a drink of water, finished it, and posted it. Then I read yours!! Hah!

Well, perhaps we are dreaming this after all.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That is called "two minds, one thought".

And by the way, I love your avatar, Mr. Tyler Durden. "Fight Club" is one of my most favourite films. EVER!

[edit on 26/10/08 by ziggystar60]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
You are all just a figment of my imagination
. Send your money and women to me and I will try and dream up something nice for you today.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I thought that it was already settled that this is a Dreamworld. But its not just the dream of one mind, but of two. Diametrically opposed and constantly at war, as a fundamental rule.

When we all wake up some will wake up to eternal death and will realize that the whole thing they just experienced took place in an instant and was their whole life flashing before their eyes and others will wake up to everlasting life and will realize what they were experiencing took place in an instant.

The best part, I think, is that when those that wake up to death do so, they will KNOW exactly why they died and will KNOW it was their decision alone to meet that end and others will wake up to life and they will KNOW exactly what saved them.

So if all this is just a lucid dream in truth, we can each expect to receive exactly what we want forever; we will all get exactly what we asked for.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyte Angel

Yes, I'm reasonably sure sometimes that 'life' is the dream

have suggested it in the past, in long-gone posts

But then life takes over and you forget about it

until next time

Nice to know 'smart' people have suggested the same --
will help me to not doubt myself next time I have a
eureka moment

Great thread
Stars for all above posts

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
My obsession with camels !!!

Dear lord, could it be i AM a camel dreaming i am human???????

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
OK, very interesting , My question now is what were you dreaming just before you were conceived? How does deja-vu play its role amongst our consciousness?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
OK, very interesting , My question now is what were you dreaming just before you were conceived? How does deja-vu play its role amongst our consciousness?

My answer to your first question is Sex. I was dreaming about sex just before I was conceived.

Since this is a dreamworld anyway then deja-vu is when you remember that this is a dream. If this is our life flashing before our eyes, then everything that we think is happening has already happened, so then deja-vu is just an awareness that all this has already been done.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by bruxfain]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Dreams man! Dreams! IM totally taken back by this thread!
You see I just woke up from yet another deep trance dream that felt so real!! Down to the feelings I had when I woke up.. Its hard to shake these feelings, but knowing it was just a dream they are slowly going away.
I asked myself.. Did I just enter another dream? All this feels so real too.
Yet every morning I wake back up in the same dream, with the same people and same places.

So in my personal dreams, things are always misplaced, displaced, and turned around.. Yet in this waking world are things any different?

This is a deep subject that I love! I will be keeping tabs on this thread and see all the energy that gets put forth into these ideas.

Bottom line is.. I dont know if we are just within the dream of a dream within a dream.. Yet this seems so real.
Yet so do many of my dreams!

There have been times in my dreams my girlfriend was cheating on me.
I woke up and had a hard time being nice to her.. And harbored this ill will twords her..
Shes like whats your problem!!!
So I tell her about my dream, and a blank stare goes across her face.
She later admitted to cheating on me, and told me her dreams freak her out and she doesnt want any more to do with me..
So much for trying to meet new people.

I dream about Naomi all the time too.. The girl I grew up with and married.
Only to have her pass away 4 years ago.. almost 5 years.
I see my dead family members in my dreams.. I speak with famous people, and always some werid zone in my dream, but they feel so real!

I even had a dream about Bush! And that I met him.. But when I met him he was a great guy, we hung out and pal'ed around threw out the whole dream. He was a great guy.. Then I woke up..
Oh hell... that sertinly was a dream!!! LOL

Dreams are so wild !!! So freakin wild!

I wish we had more knowledge about what dreams really are.
And how we can control dreams..

Thats like the true to life Star Trek Holodeck! But within our minds!
I think when trained we can do anything and be anyone we want in our dreams!

Ive had lucid dreams many time in my life, and they are always so freakin awesome! Such as flying! and having super strenght, all sorts of comic book powers!
Yet at the end of the dream they all fizzle away and Im left trying to mimic what I did early on in my dream to regain my powers.

Such as when I would be able to fly.. Then when I can't.. I run down the street, jump up, and float a little bit and then fall back to the ground..

Its such a matrix we are in.. really guys.. this # is deep son!

I forgot to address the OP, are we already dead and havent come to terms with it yet?

What is life I ask? And what is really living?
TO us its just a series of heart heats, and body movements.
Breath in and breath out.

I dont ever recall having to breath in my dreams.
But I have had some wild feasting dreams, where I am eating all sorts of great food!!! And yes Ive had drug dreams too!
So many ways to think of this.. Thanks for making this post.
And it was at the top right when I came on.. So it was like fate!
Werid.. maybe this is a dream.. Maybe we are all dead already..
Maybe we are ghosts.. And the ghosts are the ones who are alive.
Remember that movie The Others?
Great flick!

Re-edit; One thing I do know is this.. We are vibrations! we are wave lengths.. We are sound, and movment.. Dreams are a vibration from within. But what is the source to these vibrations?
What makes us dream and why? So many answers.. Yet so little real facts to back this stuff up.. As facts too are vibrations..
So are lies... In essence what makes up lies, are the same things that make up facts.. Go figure..

[edit on 26-10-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If this is indeed a dream, then surely in waking there is an asylum waiting for here am sane only by the insanity about me. If there it be worse then here I do welcome death swiftly and that in finding me here, may death take me there that so never again may I wake. Love is gone, if ever it was, but for the hope of such a thing, hope is betrayed by this inescapable tormentor of feigned love, and the future less welcomed than this moment wasted for though in living as though each moment as is my last, I see in so doing that I have yet to live at all nor here ever shall.
Perhaps living is not life but in fact the experience of death in a province of hell? Surely these things bare resemblance as life is not here lived and what love and life there is, is but a mockery of all such things and entirety.

Better to, with eyes open, see. Inevitability is indeed inevitable. If I must indeed be, then at least in being may I with joy see. Such then does there remain at death that final spark which perhaps in time will grow to consume the likes of hell with its inevitability.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Old_One]

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Old_One]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Whether dead or alive is not the real base, but the base should be can I control this dream in a manner fit for "my likeness"?
Want to feel it, hear it ,smell it, taste it, bring it into the now of your dream?
Then learn how to pull your mind into an alpha state while having your eyes open. then intentionally dream something simple with your eyes open, make your mind work for you! feel it smell it taste it know it is there! for your dreams are what drive you to wake in the first place, so waking your mind while concious must be the trip.....

good luck

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It doesn't make a difference either way.

If it feels real it is real - all this philosophical bull does not change anything, we all still have to 'live' our 'lives' from day to day.

So if you did discover that it was all a dream or you were allready 'dead' - then what ?

How will that change the way you 'live' ?

Or will you just wake up and die properly or something.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I believe that an individual is only truly dead when they do not have an awareness of the interconnectedness of all life. Some may call that the God within and or that we are all one.

Paradoxically, I also believe that there are atheists who can be/are spiritually elevated and choose not to have this sort of connection in this life so that they could help wake up the masses. Though, just like anyone else who may have the "connection" they have to fight their internal darkness too and achieve compassion to be the most effective in bringing awake-ness.

I just read a thread on Kahil Gilbran yesterday and it brought back one of my favorite quotes of his: "Every man is two men: one asleep in the light and the other awake in the darkness."

And then, that brings to mind what another Master said: "Let the dead bury the dead."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join