It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
Anality. Yes I know it's not a real word.

Perhaps not but it still sounds well

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by swdecord
Honestly...I am so freaking confused right now, that I do not know...

That's because the first rule of grammar club is: you do not talk about grammar club.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by swdecord

You know how you can tell who's an Ivy Leaguer?

They can't resist telling you as soon as they can insert it into the conversation.

If you're not still racked [sic?] with college debt, I hope you can laugh along with me. And don't worry...they say the same thing about my alma mater..."the Harvard of the Midwest". Yes, it does seem a contradiction in terms.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
jsobecky...

I think I'm addicted to ATS....

So, perhaps my thinking is distorted???

[edit on 10/26/2008 by swdecord]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

ooo pretty colors. and bold, italicized. that's the ticket!
there are also variations on that theme, such as the amount of slang, how to use it, when to use it, and of course, the infamous exclamation point!!!!1!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Anality. Yes I know it's not a real word.

Perhaps not but it still sounds well

In all seriosity, I wish it were.

[Oh, and you missed a comma, mein Kamerad.]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

the point is that you want your writing to not only clearly reflect what it is you're trying to say, but also stand testament to your opinion. as the reader identifies these simple errors in text he can inadvertently correlate this as reason not to respect the opinion you are trying to convey. for this reason alone, grammar should be a conscious part of writing in any form short of a grocery list.

small mistakes are one thing, but everyone can attest to scrolling from a near unreadable paragraph to avoid the annoyance. no matter what the message eventually deciphered said, nor how ground breaking a concept may have lied in the mess, we most often will disregard it.

so grammar may play a bigger role than some will admit, but probably worth the effort just in case.

jz

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Are you sure you're not a grammar/spelling elitist/snob?

With all do respect they have medication for Anality. Yes I know it's not a real word.

Nope...I am retired Navy and went to college on the VA's dime...After being injured during the first Gulf War, which we should have finished...

But, as I mentioned, I didn't learn s**t about English in college...I learned English reading comic books when I was 10...

link   

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

for those with dyslexia, the above statement reads:

According to a research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole.

link   
reply to post by maus80

Im sure this is because they spent more time on grammer back then. Students now study a wider range of subjects. Also most simply do not study as hard these days!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Im sorry LOL.. I was referring to the OPs first comment. Sorry about that, I should have clarified to begin with.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
i think your conclusions are a bit off. since when does spelling reflect intelligence?

might as well state that Einstein was an idiot because he didn't do well at math in school.

juhsed B-cuzz mai spheling iz bahd duhsn't meen eye ahm duhm

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I agree with the poster who said the poor grammar/spelling is a sign of someone who doesn't read books much. It's easy to dismiss these criticisms as snobbery, but that doesn't make the problem go away. If you're not reading any serious material, you're pretty much doomed to ignorance.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost147
might as well state that Einstein was an idiot because he didn't do well at math in school.

That analogy would mean these bad spellers end up being national spelling bee champions

But I agree bad spelling is not at all necessarily indicative of intelligence. You're a definitely a smart dude, and you are also definitely a bad speller

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion

You know how you can tell who's an Ivy Leaguer?

They can't resist telling you as soon as they can insert it into the conversation.

If you're not still racked [sic?] with college debt, I hope you can laugh along with me. And don't worry...they say the same thing about my alma mater..."the Harvard of the Midwest". Yes, it does seem a contradiction in terms.

I know...

Kind of like Kelsy Grammar's character "Frasier"...

He is a radio psychologist who always manages to wiggle "Harvard" into his conversation...

BUT, the veterans administration paid for my Wharton degree, so I have no debt...It's a bitch when you are injured in the line of duty for your country...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zerbst
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

jz

Thanks, jz! Couldn't have Cntrl-C'd & Cntrl-V'd it better myself!

[edit on 10.27.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Im sorry LOL.. I was referring to the OPs first comment. Sorry about that, I should have clarified to begin with.

No prob...

It appears, based upon your avatar, that you are one of our fine soldiers!

I really don't know squat...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Distractions4Nothing

I disagree I read all the time, and my grammar still sucks.
Truth is Im less concerned about how I appear to people than the point im trying to make.
If someone can’t get passed such trivial obstacles in speech then the problem doesn’t lie in the one with poor grammar.
I look at it as subject matter. Show me this, answer this question, supply me this information.
I don’t care how you spell or what shortcuts you make to give me what I seek just give it to me. I’ll judge you on your subject matter not your grammatical neatness.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Army 8 years been out 2.............Maybe I should have written out the number E>I>G>H>T>.. and the number T>W>O>

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

With all do respect they have medication for Anality. Yes I know it's not a real word.

According to dictionary.com, "anality" is a word. >_>

There are three reasons why I believe bad grammar and spelling exist excessively on the Internet:

1) People are lazy
2) There are very illiterate and young people
3) There are very stupid and "inciting" people

People on ATS should just be grateful the use of emoticons and other languages is not seen more often. On some of the forums I visit, a sentence like "Your right OP-san ^_^;" would be seen as normal.

[edit on 10/27/2008 by SonicInfinity]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join