It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

You say "More natural then", so I want to call you out I guess. Do you truly not know that the word is than, or is it something else? How did these words come to be switched around in usage?

Not to attack any individual's spelling, but this is one of the things that concerns me, if your point here was bad spelling "catching" on amongst people. It almost seems as if it's contagious online. I see the same misspellings repeated over and over. That's another reason I consider correcting people, because I want to help stop it in its tracks before it gets copycat proliferated further. Ugh, and on t-shirts, too. That kind of thing. Apostrophes added simply because there is an 's' at the end of the word!

I would like to add, however, that I know that spelling ability isn't truly (necessarily, some may argue?) an indication of intelligence. Plus there are different types of intelligences, anyway. I think it bothers me more when it's more sparse (indicating a potentially societally-spread or -condoned misunderstanding) than when it's an obvious indicator that a particular person has a special problem with spelling. I've known such people, one I especially remember, who were to me very (or incredibly) intelligent or gifted in some ways, but they couldn't spell to save their life. There is also the fact that they may have problems or even damage to whatever part of the brain is responsible for spelling. So I try to keep that in mind about people, too, from personal experience and learning not to hold that against people.

(... I know I create some awkward sentences!)

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

I don't believe a person's intellect or message should be judged by how well-practiced their grammar is.

I wouldn't take it that far!

I guess I am one part reasonable and one part grammar-Nazi

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Well, Tyler Durden, given the context, what do you tinhk I manet?

["spelled terribly"...if you leave the first and last letters the same, and mix up all the ones in the middle, the human mind usually can read the word...you're right, though...those two words pushed the theory to the limits]

[edit on 10.26.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Of course, you already got that, what with the Gestaltian reference.

Good one...I must hand it to ya.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I don't think it is as much of a non-issue as some here make it out to be.

Imagine if our traffic signs, airport abbreviations, doctor's prescriptions, directories, legal documents, etc., were all subject to the same sloppiness. One letter transposed in a chemical formula could mean disaster. Math would be impossible.

To me, it's a product of bad education, or a lack of effort on the part of the author. I can't say that the internet is the cause since I never communicated as much with strangers via text as I do now.

I guess we could always chalk it up to a broken keyboard, eh?

This thread raised the question of whether or not OUR SITE is proof of the dumbing down of America...

Firstly, our site will never be the cause of a catastrophic occurence as you mention above...

Secondly, this is a site where you can share your opinions, which are usually out of the "norm" anyway, and not be judged...

If y'all want to argue and express how intelligent y'all is, then consider that I gradiated from an Ivy League college and therfour, I should hav a basic nowledge of dee english langauge...

All of my knowledge of the English language (which, according to our "British" friends is NOT a language) was derived from books that I read back when I was 10 years old...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

It either pushed the theory to the limit or it just pushed my brain to the limit
I think it was the latter

Good one...I must hand it to ya.

The Durden is perceptive!

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
BTW, why is this thread receiving so much attention (yes, I am guilty) when there are so many other important issues today?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by swdecord

Because we cannot talk about those issues if we cannot talk

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Since you've read/posted here, what's your answer to your question?

I can't speak for anyone else's motives; what brought me here is the scandalous title and the subsequent logic I found in the OP, as well as several of the posts.

Plus, my man called me Gestalt. Best thing I've been called all day.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

sometimes you have to add in my opinion, so the reader doesn't assume you are stating it as a proven fact.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Because this thread has secretly dumbed us down so much we can't keep up with the important ISSUES!!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Originally posted by Dock6
Seeing thread titles along the lines of ' What fashions will Aliens wear ? '
is, to me, more indicative of dumbed-down than poor spelling and/or grammar.

They usually go hand-in-hand.

Originally posted by swdecord
This thread raised the question of whether or not OUR SITE is proof of the dumbing down of America...

And we should never examine other implications, should we? The dumbing down of America is not limited to ATS. America is not limited to ATS.

Firstly, our site will never be the cause of a catastrophic occurence as you mention above...

So? The topic is "Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?", not ATS.

Try broadening your horizons and think outside the box. Good habits are learned early. It takes discipline and mental rigor to express yourself intelligently.

Secondly, this is a site where you can share your opinions, which are usually out of the "norm" anyway, and not be judged...

We're not talking about out of the norm opinions.

If y'all want to argue and express how intelligent y'all is, then consider that I gradiated from an Ivy League college and therfour, I should hav a basic nowledge of dee english langauge...

Where in the world did that come from?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

You forgot to capitalize the first word in your first sentence. You are now under arrest. You have the right to an attorney. Anything you say incorrectly can and will be held against in you in this thread

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by Dock6

Where in the world did that come from?

The judgmental nature of the human mind.

For better or for worse.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

Originally posted by unityemissions
Truly would like to know if some people can't easily interpret the above post. It was just like reading a properly structured posting, to me. Actually it was possibly easier to read. Flowed right through it. Just seemed more natural and real, then the robotic-like format of perfectionist writers.

Not trying to knock anyone, just trying to explain the way I process.

edit to add that it's now the first and third above posts. Originally was referring to the one three posts up.

You say "More natural then", so I want to call you out I guess. Do you truly not know that the word is than, or is it something else? How did these words come to be switched around in usage?

I know that it is 'than', now that you mention it. It seems quite obvious. I don't know what my exact state of mind was when writing this. I think I typed it fairly fast.

It's not that I don't know the concepts for the words I mean to use, it's that the words can get switched around, and seem applicable. Sometimes my ability to verbalize is greatly reduced, while other times my speech is impeccable with free-flowing thought.

I don't know exactly what's going on up there all of the time. I notice that my mindset can switch from what seems to be more right-brain processing, more left-brain processing, and integrative processing. Not sure if this is what is really going on, but I can tell major differences in mood, ability, memory, focus, and on and on..

As far as English skills are concerned, I suck with it. It's not that I can't figure out a noun from a proverb if you taught me, it's that I would nearly instantly forget the difference because I just don't see the point in knowing such things. Call me a fool, but my memory can be better used on other things. Some things stick in my mind and stay forever. Numbers, certain symbols, music. Words and their proper functions flow in and out.

If I don't know why, as in what purpose this really serves, then the how is not integrated. I guess it's a matter of personal interest and taste, or could be because I'm a non-hooking lefty. Someone mentioned that nhl's use the opposite side of their brain for processing language then most everyone else.

Also, I'm sick right now. Have been for the last few days. While somethings I could do pretty well when I've got flu/pneumonia, other things that are not my talents can become a challenge. So bear with me, hopefully I will get better, and will make an effort to improve my skills so that people can better understand, and take me seriously.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

i never capitalize the first letters in sentences so i can put the emphasis where i think it'll do the most visual benefit. visual learners (right brainers) are as important as left brainers. that's the way *I* see it. (mwahaha)

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Damn gang....

I was only trying to help all of us realize that the proper use of English on this site is a very "small" issue, regarding what is going on in the world today...

And, yes, I did graduate from an Ivy League university, which, I am sure, will cause some at ATS to raise their eyebrows and call me one of the Illuminati, especially since the college within the university was "Wharton"...

But, I am (based upon my experience) a die hard Libertarian and believer in "things not normally discussed"...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Are you sure you're not a grammar/spelling elitist/snob?

With all do respect they have medication for Anality. Yes I know it's not a real word.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Well then...as a left-brainer aspiring to be a right-brainer, I will be more understanding

I see what you are saying though. I come up will all sorts of creative ways to add emphasis

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion

Since you've read/posted here, what's your answer to your question?

I can't speak for anyone else's motives; what brought me here is the scandalous title and the subsequent logic I found in the OP, as well as several of the posts.

Plus, my man called me Gestalt. Best thing I've been called all day.

Honestly...I am so freaking confused right now, that I do not know...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join