It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MRSA and Spider Bites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
In case you are unfamiliar with what MRSA:
en.wikipedia.org...

MRSA is a resistant variation of the common bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. It has evolved an ability to survive treatment with beta-lactamase resistant beta-lactam antibiotics, including methicillin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, and oxacillin. MRSA is especially troublesome in hospital-associated (nosocomial) infections. In hospitals, patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk for infection than the general public. Hospital staff who do not follow proper sanitary procedures may transfer bacteria from patient to patient. Visitors to patients with MRSA infections or MRSA colonization are advised to follow hospital isolation protocol by using the provided gloves, gowns, and masks if indicated. Visitors who do not follow such protocols are capable of spreading the bacteria to cafeterias, bathrooms, and elevators.

It has been brought to my attention that since late July thru present in at least one Arizona Hospital hundreds of patients have come into the ER with what they thought were common spider bites which had become infected.

At some point the staff began to do cultures and discovered MRSA in at least 18 out of 20 patients. They soon developed a system where they would not only treat the patient, but set up a recheck of the infection which has been very successful so far in tracking the patients with the infections.

What they have observed has crossed all boundaries of age and socioeconomic barriers. Young children are typically coming in with sores and blisters next to the mouth, nose and eyes and even deep within the nasal cavities. Many children and adults have suffered with boils in and around their anus, buttock and thighs.

Although many of the symptoms seem to mimic a typical spider bite, without proper and timely treatment the infections can easily become systemic and cause greater and extremely dangerous infections which can eventually lead to death in immune compromised, elderly and the very young.

At one point MRSA was most commonly found in convalescent homes and hospitals, yet it has now spread within communities and public areas as well.

I realize that many here are ultra aware of the importance of good hygiene especially in public places, yet I just wanted to give you this reminder as it could quickly become pandemic if left unchecked.

I urge you to sit down once again with your children and teens and talk to them about never touching their hands to any orifice especially in public.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Maggots help cure MRSA patients
Maggots are being used to help successfully treat MRSA patients in record time, according to a new study by the University of Manchester.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Interesting how when we progress into the technologically advanced future of medicine, you still find reports that sound more like the treatments which you would receive from a Shaman or witchdoctor...

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My young son is going to take swabs from around his school for his science fair project this year, Im going to be pretty upset if MRSA turns up in the cafeteria... *Crosses fingers*

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just wanted to bump this back out to let you know it has become very serious and not getting the coverage it deserves. At one point they used the utmost of universal precautions and now, they just wait for patients to arrive at the ER. It can be avoided if you use extreme measures in public places. AD has a great thread going about simply washing your hands and that is the #1 way to avoid the spread of the disease.

If there is nothing to add, or if you have no further information to share with me and my family about prevention or facts, then I will let this thread go away. It is not a pleasant one I know, but with the information I received I felt it important to let you know.

Blessings and Health.

EDIT for a much needed spellcheck, e-gads!

[edit on 27-10-2008 by antar]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I currently live in a rehab nursing home and it is a very wide spread thing her this MRAS. I have had it three times in my bladder and in my foot. I have also had the new super staph infection, and ostiomyolitis. Fighting infection for me is an all day job since I have a catheter as well. I hope that I can get back to walking again to get out of this giant petri dish of diseases.

top topics

join