It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red or Blue? How Will DC Vote November 4?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
November 4 is Election Day. How will the nation’s capital vote? Is DC up for grabs? Is it a battleground state? Can the longtime Washington insider “Big” John McCain paint W-DC Red? Can he “carry” Washington, DC? Or is W-DC solidify BLUE? Is it a foregone conclusion that Barack Obama will win the 3 electoral votes of W-DC? See Note 1.

Who will win the THREE electoral votes of the District of Columbia?

Barack Obama _____

John McCain _____

By what percentage to you believe the WINNER will carry the District?

_____ % of the total votes cast.

W-DC DATA.
The District of Columbia is 61 square miles of land, and 6 of water. Total 68. Originally a 10 miles square - 100 square miles - mentioned in Clause 17, Section 8, Article 1, of the US Constitution:
“ . . over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;” W-DC is 63 miles up the Potomac River from Point Lookout, MD where it empties into Chesapeake Bay. Washington gets it water from the Potomac, withdrawing a half billion gallons o day. And dumping its sewage back into the Potomac. The highest elevation in W-DC is in Tenleytown at 429 feet. Not counting the Washington Monument at 555 feet.

W-DC’s population peaked in 1950, at 802,178, but has declined to 588,292 (the 2007 official Census estimate). This is what I call “ethnic cleansing” but it is more politely labeled Urban Renewal. Rich whites have replaced poor blacks. (A predecessor to the currently similar black out to white in poor out to rich in ethic cleansing of New Orleans). More than 350,000 people commute into the city every day to work, mostly for the Federal government. Demographics. 324,000 residents are black. 206,000 are white. 47,000 are Hispanic. 17,600 are Asian. 8,900 are of mixed origin. 23,400 are “all others.” Note: people self-define in the US Census.

Washington DC is notorious for its crime rate. It is true the number of murders in 1991 peaked at 482, but in the last year for which numbers are available - 2006 - the number fell to 169. A condition of relative security if not serenity obtains!

Note 1.
Washington, DC has had a nonvoting delegate in the US House of Representatives since 1971. Originally allowed to vote only in committees, in 1993 the delegate was given the right to vote on the floor but only when the House meets as a Committee of the Whole. (Usually for housekeeping measures only). The noteworthy Eleanor Holmes Norton has been the W-DC delegate since 1991.
www.washington.org...

Aside:
Puerto Rico also has such representation in the US House, but note that Puerto Rico at 4 million population should have 6 delegates. The United States Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa each have a delegate for a total of 5 non voting delegates. Next month, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands gets it first delegate to make it 6 delegates total. All delegates are accorded full status, receive equal pay, have staffs, and sit and vote on committees but cannot vote on the floor of the House on the final passage of any bill, except as mentioned above when it is sitting as a Committee of the Whole.

MY GUESS? 82.1% FOR Obama.

[edit on 10/26/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Well, since the majority of WDC is black and poor...not to mention he is the better candidate...I am going to say Obama....easily. I predict about 70%+ vote Obama.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Kerry won Washington DC 90% to 9% in 2004. I would expect Obama to do at least that well in that particular city. The odds that he would lose DC are practically zero.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Obama 96% Come on...we are talking Washington DC here!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
No guesswork needed here. DC always goes Democrat.

What percentage? Who cares? Anything over 50% is gravy.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
DC always goes Democrat.

Just out of curiosity, I had to look it up earlier. DC's three electoral votes have never gone to a Republican since the 23rd Amendment was enacted in 1961 authorizing those three electors for the city.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Living right outside of DC and working in the district. I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone that lives in the DMV (DC, Maryland, NO. Virginia) area EVER wearing a McCain shirt or anything of that sort. Maybe further south in Virginia there are a lot of McCain supprters, but I have never seen any near the District, Arlington, Rosslyn, Fairfax, or anything even close to DC. It should be a BLOWOUT for obama in the district.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Originally posted by vor78

Originally posted by jsobecky
DC always goes Democrat.

Just out of curiosity, I had to look it up earlier. DC's three electoral votes have never gone to a Republican since the 23rd Amendment was enacted in 1961 authorizing those three electors for the city.

Would I lie to you?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbule

I see a few people here in Maryland with McCain stuff.

But, I think Obama will easily win Maryland and DC.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
What part of maryland are you in? I work prat time in bethesda, and spend most time in rckville. live in silver spring.... are you wayyyyy outside the beltway? or am I just taking a wild guess?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Of course Senator Obama will win The District, it has a Majority Black Populace. Why else do you think they called it "Chocolate City"? Even though Hispanics have been taking over a lot of the neighborhoods, it still remains a "Black City", and will thus most certainly vote for Senator Obama (whom many in D.C. used to literally consider an "Uncle Tom").

new topics

top topics

join