It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Packs of robots will hunt down uncooperative humans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The Japanese already have "robocops" in use at this moment. They are in fact armed and if memory serves, one of them even have a flamethrower. Though they are quite slow and could never give any real chase, the possibility of seeing armed robot security guards in our life time is not completely out of the question. In fact, many countries already have contracted companies to build robotic guards. These robots are obviously vastly inferior to the ones in the OP story, but look how technology changes...

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

With a flamethrower?

This is further proof that Japan gets all of its ideas from my 9th grade sketchbook.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

Though they are quite slow and could never give any real chase,

LOL speaking of slow chases, has anyone seen the Midas commercial with the Canadian Police chase in winter? Hilarious!!!

You Tube video

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Present day AI is nothing more than a computer program that is able to adjust it's own variables.

A robot with sufficiently advanced digital programming may at times seem to be acting as an intelligent entity, but in all actuality it is simply carrying out commands pre-programmed based on algorithms given it by its programmers. Any such program can be outwitted, because the machine cannot think and plan, only anticipate from the planning incorporated into its algorithms by its programmer(s).

Not unlike humans - we have learned to adjust to variables in our environment in order to survive - have we not? I suggest human programming is just as simple at its base, only we have a much larger code, more memory capacity and a cpu that processes much more information simultaneously.

The only thing missing that allows one to differentiate them from us is the amount of programming CPU power and memory capacity. We are not that far off. Of course the biggest advantage of humans and the biggest AI hurdle to overcome is our learning capacity or continuous adaptability throughout our lives.

I'm sure many here have played video games. I've been playing since the mid 80's. As always once you figure out their pre-programmed tendencies you can work around them and the game is no longer a challenge.

In the original games the enemies had very simple AI if you could call it that. The enemies would be in stasis until such time that you triggered their awakening by coming in their pre-programmed little area - all you had to do to evade them was leave their programmed area of operation or kill them and move on. The next generation took it a step further - once you arrived in their zone they would actually chase you and hunt you across a larger portion of the gaming arena.

Sometime the later 90's when I first logged into some game servers that had bots it took me a couple times before I realized that they were bots and not other online players, because they have much larger AI due to the fact that we have more memory & cpu capacity allocated. Not only that, but there were bots programmed with different attributes and each one you had to treat differently - just like real players.

I believe as soon as we have the hardware capability we will have robots that will have attributes beyond the capacity of most humans. Much like the robots in Blade Runner Once we have enough processing power and memory capacity - the programming will be there. The biggest obstacle is the actual hardware not the computing part - but the nuts and bolts and keeping them functioning. I suppose they will eventually service themselves, but in the beginning they will need us for everything.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tedpi

I am not razzing YOU at all- but run thru that vid again....That one's a fake version.....

And everyone keeps forgetting- the robots the Pentagram- oops pentagon want to use are little more than radio controlled military toys.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by wylekat]

[edit on 25-10-2008 by wylekat]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Possum Roadkill
What makes any of you think that the robots need to "go awol" to start hunting down humans? We are doing it now in Iraq and Afghanistan with soldiers at the kill switch. Young soldiers, and we all know how those young people are now days, self centered, no morals. If the order was given to them to kill a bunch of us, who is to say that they might just do it? Hey, just sayin ! Could happen.

*Redneck activation

Hunting humans? Forget that too easy I want a mech or at-at walker and go hunt deer it would be funner than normal lol...

Attach a flame thrower and nothing like a good instantly well-done deer.
Camping trip fun for the enitire family, and mom doesn't even have too cook!

*redneck no longer active

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Yes, we have come a long way in digital computational power. My daughter has a calculator that has more power than my old TRS-80 computer. It also costs less, and is able to fit into a large pocket.

But it still does the same thing the TRS-80 did, just faster and with more memory (to allow more 'choices' to be included in the programming). It is still just 1's and 0's, and even still uses an expanded version of the same assembly language used back in my day on the old 8086 microprocessor. It cannot think, reason, or contemplate. It can only carry out instructions given it.

In a video game, your actions are pretty limited. Even the more advanced games only have a few hundred options a character can perform (walk, run, target, etc.). In life, you have a myriad of choices. Movement, for instance, can be by an infinite range of walking speed, rolling speed, forward, sideways, turning, any combination of those, rolling, crawling (at an infinite number of heights), limping, climbing (which varies in technique depending on the object you want to climb), and a thousand more choices. Strategy is dependent on an inbred examination of what you would do in your quarry's situation; do you really believe it would be possible to incorporate into the algorithms every possible reaction by humans wishing to avoid detection? You do realize that's 6 billion different personalities?

The problem is not power (unless you want to talk power supplies, but that's a different post). The problem is technique. We have had much longer to develop steam engines than we have gasoline engines, yet we do not attempt to use steam to power our cars. Why? Because, while it is fine for some applications, it is impractical for personal transportation. To have personal automobiles, we did not need to develop a steam engine; we needed a different approach. And so it is with AI. Digital computers cannot now, nor have they ever, nor do I believe, in my informed opinion, they ever will be able to achieve intelligence.

That's not to say it cannot be done. I am just saying that your PC (or any digital computer), no matter how advanced, will never be able to achieve self-consciousness or self-programming. Just as a steam engine will never be the major means of personal transportation.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
This is what Im talking about...
This video is sooo worth it...

[edit on 26-10-2008 by antar]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Whoa that car can dance.
Amazing what we can do to make things look real eh.
If I saw that...um...now you see me. Now you don't. ~gone~

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BindareDundat

ROLFLMAO literally, no doubt, I would have to try and befriend it somehow, and then who knows... It is kind of sexy

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-10-2008 by antar]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I put nothing passed our government........

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Slow?

Ever seen Friday the Thirteenth

Jason Vorhies Never Runs, he just walks with purpose and everyone always does the same thing they run until exhausted and he catches up and then they get the Machete

10 of these things in a semi circle, tireless on batteries...

How long can you run for, and when you do, how hard will your Heart be beating? all the easier for the Big Dogs to hear and find you

They don't need to be fast, they just need to not have to stop

I'd guesstimate, you'd have to be a genuine Marathon level competitor to be able to outpace them and go long enough for them to recharge, even that might not be enough, maybe Triathalon winner would be better... realistically

They will not tire, they will not stop

The only thing I see that could work, would be some sort of mini EMP Grenade to fry the electronics, you will never outrun them.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
yeah whatever guys.... you can be concerned about what ever u want.... what u need to know is that they have thought of every option... they have thought of every angle.... they wont be surprised... something they intended not to happen... wont happen... because they know what will and what wont... there not stupid guys... anything you have thought of... they have thought of.. especially if it was told bye you bye some mainstream hollywood movie... seriously... lets get past that #... and not be so stupid...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
At the moment these rely on a human controller.
In other words one bullet could stop the whole pack of them, if aimed correctly

What scares me is when they take the human out of the loop.
Well I shouldn't say "scares" I should say concerns...

IF they are crazy enough to take a human out of the loop, may god have mercy on their souls.
I'm sure someone will figure out a way to reprogram them.
The real question is how hard would it be to make them search for and detect a non-cooperative human that's wearing a uniform?

Besides, can you say non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse?
I'll be at radio shack if anyone needs me...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Good point, how is it powered? How long before it runs low? And also I wonder if there is something, some material that can be worn to keep the bot from being able to read you or even see you? They will be able to look through normal walls but what material can you get now that will protect you in the future?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Funny you should say 'sexy'. I was thinking the same but thought best not to put that in my post. LOL

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by one2hate

time for the humans in the underground to start devolpment of EMS pulse cannons. IT'S CIRCUIT FRYING TIME, BABY!! HURRRAHH!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
E M P fellows.
Electro Magnetic Pulse (can be made to function in a radius or could be aimed, depending on the design and the purposes)

That's the answer to fighting the 'bots in my opinion.

Fairly easily fabricated from tv/microwave parts and some know-how.

Will most likely be capable of immobilizing them by frying the circuits.

BTW its an older tv part. You might need to get some help from an electrical engineer.

By far the best weapon to fight the insane modern technologies they will/would use to "calm dissent"

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SDAUnite
Wait Robots?

This is insane!

I must say this is crazy!

Skynet....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join