It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Packs of robots will hunt down uncooperative humans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Packs of robots will hunt down uncooperative humans

www.newscientist.com

"What we have here are the beginnings of something designed to enable robots to hunt down humans like a pack of dogs. Once the software is perfected we can reasonably anticipate that they will become autonomous and become armed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
To all civilians around the globe. you can't run nor can you hide unless you have the marking of the beast we shall be doomed.
This is the scariest ish I heard. This is the NWO at its finest. Yes people the end of freedom and humanity is around the corner.
The sickest of the sick just got sicker. AI versus Humans thats what WWIII gonna be about.Robot and Nukes. Only God can save us now.

Goodluck my fellow Humans.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Wait Robots?

This is insane!

I must say this is crazy!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
If they used them responsibly it could work and they could guard prisoners. After all a robot has no feelings and is therefore not going to take out anger on prisoners or torture them, unless instructed to do so?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I hope someone hacks a killbot and makes it go on a rampage in a military base, killing its own dudes.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
:cue Terminator soundtrack:

I can see this one backfiring immensely. In advance, I'd like to thank the government for my new laptop and expanding collection of drone models.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Oh good lord! Sweet Jezus! I wonder who will be the intel controlling them Androids of Armaggedon. That's serious, will we finally see the new Halliburton-Gates Inc. This sounds like a Transformer from hell. Will the robots turn on on technology and kill us all. Drones and droids, Let the Hell begin.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It's usually only a matter of time before science fiction becomes reality.

And don't think for one minute that this will be used to hunt down terrorists only.
Robocop meets Terminator....
Coming soon to a city near you.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
is it a coinsidense (sp) that they are talking this terminator senerio and sarah palin's maden name is sarah connor same as terminator

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by one2hate

You do know that we already have software that can recognize a persons face from a great distance. A persons face, their body, their walk, etc.
You do know that we have drone hunter aircraft that is flown by remote control and auto pilot.
The software has been used with the drones as to alert the remote pilot to the presence of a known enemy.
How long will it be before it is all automated, if it isn't already being done?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Ok. So this is based on a possible scenario if robots went awol and started to take over and control/kill us in the most frightening way:

I am not a computer/robot geek by any means but isn't there some way a robot's signals could be jammed? A robot has to receive signals from someone no? Or do they just operate on their own programmed brain thingamajig? It should still be possible to jam a signal. Confuse it. Maybe even immobilize it. If too much damage is done then we risk using it for ourselves. Esp if parts are hard to find.

If this is going to happen then maybe we better educate ourselves on how to immobilize them at least. Even if we cannot figure out how to re-program it. We are bound to find someone out there who can help change their programming.

Do robots detect us by our body heat or what? Also, just like any enemy, what are robots weaknesses?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Black spray paint right in the camera, then the baseball bats can start swinging. Really there will never be a robot that has armor in our lifetimes. 30.06 and a beer, we got moving targets now! YEEE HAAWWW!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be a materialisation of mechanical hound from "Fahrenheit 451"? Because then there is a chance that our society will "evolve" in the one described there too.
Do not like. Both ideas.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BindareDundat
Ok. So this is based on a possible scenario if robots went awol and started to take over and control/kill us in the most frightening way:

I am not a computer/robot geek by any means but isn't there some way a robot's signals could be jammed? A robot has to receive signals from someone no? Or do they just operate on their own programmed brain thingamajig? It should still be possible to jam a signal. Confuse it. Maybe even immobilize it. If too much damage is done then we risk using it for ourselves. Esp if parts are hard to find.

If this is going to happen then maybe we better educate ourselves on how to immobilize them at least. Even if we cannot figure out how to re-program it. We are bound to find someone out there who can help change their programming.

Do robots detect us by our body heat or what? Also, just like any enemy, what are robots weaknesses?

I am not a robotics expert, but I have some experience with the various technologies. Stand-alone systems recycle their core programming and perform the functions in that programming, not straying from its mandate. Smart technology, such as AI, that is designed to learn as it goes along can evolve its mandate, but it is still bound by its core logic. Its ability to evolve is focused around the parameters of its programming, thereby limiting even what it can learn. The danger in this AI scenario comes with tampering. Should the core program be corrupted, expanded or altered, the AI becomes less bound in its endeavors. Withlout strict monitoring techniques, there is no telling what the technology could evolve into or is capable of becoming.

Remote technology that is guided by a central command (be that human or computer controlled) is a bit easier to tackle. A linking signal from its control location must be maintained, whether constant or intermittent, so that its instructions can be constantly updated. The technology can run stand-alone, but only on the last instruction set given. That is a good and bad thing, since an intermittent link is less likely to be hijacked and the instructions overwritten. The limits are there, but it is still dangerous.

If they send robots that are man controlled, then there are people with the technology and knowledge that can hijack those control signals and take over those bots and possible turn them on their masters, or at least neutralize them. Think of it like hackers taking over your computer using your broadband wireless signal, which is easily possible. It works on the same principle, just on a more technological scale.

So, it really depends on two things; the technology used and the security deployed.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hmmmm, maybe I should start working on a killer-robot-killer-robot.

The technology to sense and track a human's (or basically anything's) movement already exists from a sensor standpoint. The drawback at this stage is the AI that it uses. Present day AI is nothing more than a computer program that is able to adjust it's own variables. As was previously noted above by wheresthetruth, the core logic that comprises the program is still set in stone (silicon?). So the concept of a robot thinking how to hunt down humans and destroy them would be impossible at this stage.

According to research I have done into AI, digital computation cannot accomplish free will or even a comprehensive learned response. A robot with sufficiently advanced digital programming may at times seem to be acting as an intelligent entity, but in all actuality it is simply carrying out commands pre-programmed based on algorithms given it by its programmers. Any such program can be outwitted, because the machine cannot think and plan, only anticipate from the planning incorporated into its algorithms by its programmer(s).

Thus far, I do not believe the PTB have achieved sentient AI. Until they do (which will take a radical new way of thinking about the science), this is science fiction, heavy on the fiction. If I ever see anything that sounds like an advance in AI technology along lines that have possibility for sentient AI to be developed, then I will start worrying.

On another note, I may start checking these contracts out. I wouldn't mind designing a few robots for the DoD... especially since I already have a preliminary design for a surveillance/killer robot herd.

Sometimes I think I just have too much of a penchant for design.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
this...is.....AWESOME1!!!!! guys we're living in the craziest times! i want a war with robots! then humanity would HAVE to come together with killer robots gone berzerk! plus that would just be really really fun.

weapon of choice? SUPERSOAKERS!!!!

ive always wanted to buy another one. are they still in production? if not....DIBS!!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn

You do know that we already have software that can recognize a persons face from a great distance. A persons face, their body, their walk, etc.
You do know that we have drone hunter aircraft that is flown by remote control and auto pilot.
The software has been used with the drones as to alert the remote pilot to the presence of a known enemy.
How long will it be before it is all automated, if it isn't already being done?

Also there's the system going on in BC at least (may be other places) that scans license plates automatically and does a checkup and notifies that police officer if that a car needs to be pulled over and what for..etc.. all they need to do is drive past you and it scans your plates and does a checkup on your background, any outstanding warrants etc will be noticed. I mean you kind of have to ask to have this stuff done to you but still, the technology is out there.
I could see this happening though.. these doggies walking around controlling the street, once theyre armed you probably couldn't do much.. say you disabled one it might explode and kill you or something or call for more doggy backup.
Terminator!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

[edit on 10/26/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Every path in history begins with a first step. This is the first step towards Earth's Robot Wars.

If it can be used as a weapon.. it will be.

Forget programming.. It won't be long before these things have organic brains.

[edit on 25/10/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Eeesshhh. Good post. I have seen the robo-dogs before and the idea of being chased by a pack of those things is terrifying. Clearly the project has expanded to the point where, according to the exports quoted, they can sense breathing and heart patterns, and have already contracted to load tasers on them. I wonder how much the destruction of the economy will slow down the entrpenuers getting into the racket? I guess there is one still booming business; demonic robot dogs that will hunt you down in packs and taser the living crapchild out of you. - Next years version to be updated with a .50cal! Thanks again for the info - out of this world.

Imagine running for you life from eight of these:

www.youtube.com...

ColoradoJens

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join