It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Accuse English Of War Crimes.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

French Accuse English Of War Crimes.

www.tele graph.co.uk

Exactly 593 years after King Henry V's legendary victory, a revisionist conference will be held at the scene of the triumph....

'There's been a distortion of the facts and this conference will attempt to set the record straight,' said Christophe Gilliot, a distinguished French historian who is director of the Medieval History Museum in Agincourt, where the conference will take place.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Agincourt.593 years ago!

Am i the only one who sees the insanity in this?

What purpose can this possibly serve?
Especially as every country in Europe could point fingers at each other concerning 'war crimes' from 100's of years ago.

As the French suffered a catastrophic defeat,is this just a case of sour grapes?

www.tele graph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
To me, yes that's a very long time. But I guess people all over the world still hold grudges. I mean some Irish, the whole middle east, and I bet there are parts of Africa...

Wasn't it French war crimes that gave the Brits their famous sign language of showing two fingers up? (To convey Americas "the bird)

Brittish archers were so deadly that when captured the French would lop off the fingers they used to draw a bow. Ever since, as I understand it, the Brits have shown their two fingers so as to pass on a certain sentiment...

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gatordone

Very true.

I guess they don't see mutilating people as a war crime.
Unless it was being done to the French of course.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Let it go, mon amis. This was almost 600 years ago. Don't try and get too precious about the defeat of a nobility that you tried to kill off yourself a few hundred years later. Also, as far as I'm aware even the revised figures show that the French outnumbered the English and their mercenaries.

I also wonder, in the interest of fairness, how well they scrutinised the French victories during the 100 Years War?

Professor Anne Curry, a military historian from Southampton University, admitted that many accounts of the battle have been exaggerated to give the impression of "plucky little England" against the evil French.'

I hope she didn't get her doctorate through a Ph.D in stating the obvious. Hmm, the winning side hypes their victory? Wow! Who'd have thunk it! And this makes England any different from any other country on earth exactly?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
Brittish archers were so deadly that when captured the French would lop off the fingers they used to draw a bow. Ever since, as I understand it, the Brits have shown their two fingers so as to pass on a certain sentiment...

British Archers were the best in the world, Football was even banned so that kids would spend their whole time shooting their longbows!

The 'weve still got our two fingers' story is a great one, one that ive believed for a few years, but i watched an episode of QI a while back and apparently its just a myth. Stephen Fry said it so its pretty much gospel.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have said for a long time that we should have stayed after kicking their arses at Agincourt. Might have been a better place all round and you'd be able to get decent "Custard" too.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I know the French are prone to such finger pointing and soapboxing themselves into some sort of moral and ethical superiority to the rest of the world but this is a bit much. Im sure a gander at the human rights record of say Louis the 14 would reveal a less than savory reputation as well. Pehaps we should haul him and Napoleon before teh hague?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

source

Whether the Kinges subjectes, not lame nor having no lawfull impediment, and beinge within the age of XI yeares, excepte Spiritual men, Justices etc. and Barons of the Exchequer, use shoting on longe bowes, and have bowe continually in his house, to use himself and that fathers and governours of chyldren teache them to shote, and that bowes and arrowes be bought for chyldren under XVII and above VII yere, by him that has such a chylde in his house, and the Maister maye stoppe it againe of his wages, and after that age he to provideb them himselfe: and who that is founde in defaute, in not having bowes and arrowes by the space of a moneth, to forfayte xiid.. And boyers for everie bowe of ewe, to make two of Elme wiche or othere wood of meane price, and if thei be founde to doe the contrarie, to be committed to warde, by the space of viii daies or more.

And that buttes be made, in everie citie, towne and place accordinge to the law of auncient time used, and the inhabitantes and dwellers in everye of them to exercise themselfe with longe bowes in shotinge at the same, and elles wher on holy daies and other times conveniente.

And that al bowstaves of ewe, be open and not solde in bundels nor close.

And that no stranger not being denizen, shall convey oute of the kinges obeilance (?) anie bowes, arrowes, or shaftes without the kinges speciall license upon paine of forfaiture, and also imprysonment nor use shotynge in anie longe bowe without the kinges license, uppon paine to forfaite the bowes and arrowes to the kinges subjectes that will Seaze them.

The Statute thereof is ANNO 6. H8. Cap:2.

This Act has ever been repealed - so fathers ( or 'governors') with male children over the age of 7 - you face a fine if you have not provided them with a bow, two arrows and taught them how to shoot!

source

Come on frenchies, we're still ready for you

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Apparently all the yew trees in england which were ideal for making longbows were so over harvested that the Yews that remain are all descended from those which were too bent or mutated to make Bows out of, so that finding a suitable tree nowadays is next to impossible.

A good example of unnatural selection i think.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
They should be grateful we bailed them out in WW1 and did quite a bit in WW2. Anyway every single country or ethinicity could draw up a case against everyone. Pointless
They should say to the French if you want it changed come and fight us for it.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
And the actions of one 'king' William in these isles were not warcrimes of genocide?

Give 'em two fingers and a meat pie as a 'runners up' prize

[edit on 25-10-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Nice to know we're upholding English law in this household - although as a concession to modern times, not only do my husband and son own bows and shoot, so does my 12 year old daughter - and she is the Master Bowman not the boys!

Cheers

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Maybe us English should accuse them too.
But,just to really annoy them,we should accuse them of war crimes against their own people like those that happened during the Revolution and the Vichy rule of WW2.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gatordone
[mor
Dont know if thats right...the frogs mutilated "Engish" archers, the most of whom where Welsh, but they had deformed forearms from the force used to draw the bow...

And wasnt it them who fought a not particulally "clean" war in Algeria ?

He without sin throw the first stone etc etc etc..

In the middle ages it was common to kill all prisoners that could'nt be used or sold or ransomed. In the middle east and in counties such as the sudan etc it was still common practice up until the 19th century...

It just goes to show that some sad bloke has too much time on his hand.

The first recorded genocide in Europe took place in France when the town of Beziers in 1209 was put to the sword by "crusading" knights, when the pope said that the cathars of the Langedoc where heretics..Estimates say about 20.000 men women and children where killed, a great number of whom where burnt alive when they hid in the church in the town centre.

When one of the Knights asked how would he tell the difference between a christian and a heretic the reply of the popes legate ARNAUD AMALRIC'S reply was "KILL THEM ALL, FOR THE LORD KNOWESTH THEM THAT ARE HIS"
A letter was later sent to the pope stating that "neither age, sex or position was spared".

So, instead of shouting "WARCRIMES" about something that happened 600 years ago when the world was dark and dirty and without morales or education (outside of the very rich or the church), they should stick to eating snails.
An intersting article about French war crimes in argelia.hrw.org...

[edit on 25-10-2008 by andy1972]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972

The first recorded genocide in Europe took place in France when the town of Beziers in 1209 was put to the sword by "crusading" knights, when the pope said that the cathars of the Langedoc where heretics..Estimates say about 20.000 men women and children where killed, a great number of whom where burnt alive when they hid in the church in the town centre.

That doesn't count though. That was 800 years ago and they're drawing the line for 'water under the bridge' between 600 and 700 years ago, apparently.

Anyway, I made French onion soup tonight, but spat in it before I ate it, just to show them filthy Frenchies what I think of their cuisine! That'll show them!

shakes fist at a Françoise Hardy record. Grrrr!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Anyway, I made French onion soup tonight, but spat in it before I ate it, just to show them filthy Frenchies what I think of their cuisine! That'll show them!

Genius idea, give 'em a kick where it hurts

...in the ironies

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's not a 600year old battle that is going to change the friendship between our country, is it ? I know some of you are happy to spit on the french (soup), but come on, get over it. I'm tired of hearing the same old crap about France all the time. France and the UK are 2 great countries both with pretty much the same kind of historical background, good stuff, bad stuff on each side. Now please let's remain civilized on both side of the channel.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demos
It's not a 600year old battle that is going to change the friendship between our country, is it ? I know some of you are happy to spit on the french (soup),

Reading this, I don't know whether you misunderstood my post or not.

but come on, get over it.

Now here is irony. French academics propagate what's actually a bit of a non-story regarding a battle they famously lost 600 years ago, read that again, 600 years ago, and you're telling commentators on the story to "get over it"?

I'm tired of hearing the same old crap about France all the time.

I do too to be honest. I spent a month in France once and loved every second of it. I'm hoping to go back in the near future. Whilst I'd be previously Francophobic thanks to a weird exchange student system at my school which only selected the most obnoxious French kids possible, on their home soil I found the French very nice people and the place (apart from Calais) utterly lovely.

France and the UK are 2 great countries both with pretty much the same kind of historical background, good stuff, bad stuff on each side.

We've got stuff and bad stuff certainly, but I'm not sure whether we have the same historical background as the French. Their take on one of the most significant periods of our history, the Norman conquest, is pretty dissimilar to ours because 'their' role in it is pretty different to ours. From that point onwards - the Norman conquest served as the background for the 100 Years War, which in turn created the backdrop for a lot of what was to follow - nothing was the same and differences became far more important to both sides than any commonality.

Now please let's remain civilized on both side of the channel.

OK, but tell them to stop sending their rabid foxes down the chunnel in order to eat our precious and delicate children. I'm on to them!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

shakes fist at a Françoise Hardy record. Grrrr!

Haha that was funny
!! Starred

I'll spit in my tea as a revenge !! That'll teach you ENGLAND !!

looks down at his spice girls album......errr

On topic : I've never heard of Christophe Gilliot nor of Agincourt, I believe this conference will be a small one
, some people have to much time on their hands.

Bye, Marmelade

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join