It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Cold Busted! 10/24/08

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Hope for common cold treatment
Hopes for a treatment for common cold have been raised after scientists discovered how it causes symptoms such as sneezing and a runny nose

Telegraph UK

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
Last Updated: 1:42PM BST 24 Oct 2008

The characteristic effects of a cold are not brought about directly by the virus but by its ability to turn the body's own defences against itself, scientists have found.

Up to half of common colds are caused by various strains of the human rhinovirus and new research has shown the bug triggers a domino effect where the body's own defences over-react causing the familiar symptoms.

The findings could result in treatments for common colds caused by rhinovirus which strike hundreds of thousands of people each year in the UK.

Current treatments only work on allievating the symptoms rather than tackling the cause of the cold.

After so many years, scientists finally discoverd what causes the common cold. You know, we can put a man on the moon, but I can't get a good decongestion medicine? Not anymore? If so, I'm in. Let's get it nailed down so I can consume a new regimen of pills because of some sniffles. Many people will rather rot their guts than blow their nose it seems.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

ColoradoJens

join