It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Fix Our Welfare System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
This was forwarded to me... it's extremely logical and there should be something done about it:

I HAVE TO PASS A URINE TEST FOR MY JOB, SO... Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test which I have no problem. That with which I do have a problem is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their *snip*, doing drugs, while I work... Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

[edit on 24-10-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Drug testing should be mandatory, along with Work Preparation and Apprenticeship programs. They should also stop paying extra benefits after the third child, which sounds harsh, but it might stop some of them from making more babies just to get welfare checks.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 2stepsfromtop

very true i never thought about those other things, all of these elements combined could save the taxpayers lots of money ...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Great idea! Guess we should forward this on to our congressman and senators.

Your avatar is quite convicting. It puts it all into a proper perspective. The picture of the little guy slays me.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
One of my favorite ideas...never seems to go anywhere though.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
And what happens when 20 million people fail the drug test?

Let them starve?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm…… I could have sworn that Bill Clinton did away with the welfare system back in the 90’s.
At the same time its amazing how many people suddenly became disabled and where forced on to the social security disability insurance plan. What a bazaar coincidence.
But, hay, who cares? social security has plenty of money. Right?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

And what happens when 20 million people fail the drug test?

Let them starve?

No.. eventually they would get hungry enough to not buy whatever drug they want to buy a big mac.

I am in agreement with the first two posters .. pass a blood test (because urin doesn't get it all) and have to work in certain apprentice type programs or state sponsored temp jobs.

But I would go one step further...

If you have kids you should be mandated to allow once a month random drop ins from the Child Protective Services to ensure that you really are spending the money on your children (since you actually only get Welfare based on dependents...) so if you claim 3 children, your children better have school supplies, beds, and food in the fridge. If they walk into a house and you see smokes, beer, a big screen tv and all the kids sharing one room eating spegetti o's ... you loose your funding.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Who brings these posts back from the dead?

Anyways drug testing people on welfare is a waste of money. Have you been to a welfare office lately?

I have and most of the people there are not drug addicts or wasteoids. Most are single mothers forigners and disabled people.

What are they gonna test everyone to find that 1 in 50 who is?

While there are people that abuse the system most don't and a lot count on it. It realy pisses me off when those that have it all take it for granted and assume those without are less equil because of they're misfortune.

I have schizophenia and for all outward apperences I seem to be normal to most poeple. I get disability because the medications impair my ability to lead a normal life. I sleep 14 hours a day and I'm constenly sedated. I also have a hard time comunicating with poeple. It's just the nature of the illness. But I can't count how many times I've been heckled in the grocery store for using food stamps. I also get heckled while I'm getting into a bran new car. What people don't know is it's my grandmothers.

People are quick to jump to conclusions without knowing the facts. I am not proud to be on welfare. I envy those able to lead a normal life. As is I'm sure most poeple on welfare feel. So maybe some of you sould think twice before you go belittling those of us on welfare. I've spent hours and hours in the welfare office I have never once seen anyone that looked intoxicated. I've observed alot of people too.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by wantsome]

new topics

top topics

join