It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Global Expansion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Not long from now another game of American Football will be played at Wembley Stadium in London.(New Orleans Saints v San Diego Chargers)
Thousands of fans will be forced either to miss one of only eight regular-season home games they get each year,stump up hundreds of dollars to travel to London,or watch at home on television.

Earlier in the year in the UK Richard Scudamore,the Premier League chief executive,disclosed his ambition to stage top-flight fixtures in ten locations around the globe and the football world exploded with derision at what was rapidly vilified as “the 39th game” and fans,like me displayed plenty of resistance.

Last season my home team,Manchester United,played 58 games from Aug 07-May 08.So the idea of adding another game for the sake of making a few rich men richer,doesn't sit well with me.Neither does staging a game between 2 English teams 1000's of miles away.

So,my question is this.
Are you fans of American Football as equally outraged that your teams are playing 1000's of miles away in another country or do you see it as a worthwhile development in the game??

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

not outraged at all. I just wish it wouldn't ever go global. They could set up some sort of world football classic and do that every few years like baseball though.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

not outraged at all. I just wish it wouldn't ever go global. They could set up some sort of world football classic and do that every few years like baseball though.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think it's totally stupid.

I doubt there are very many fans of the NFL in another country. If there were they would still have the NFL "world league." It's a total waste of a home game and is unfair for the teams because of jet lag and whatnot.

I think it's a waste of time and money. It's not like they can't broadcast the games over there. I bet half of the people at the last NFL game in europe were people who used to live in the U.S. and the other half were their spouses :-).

Personally I couldn't care less if some football team from europe would come here. I wouldn't go see it.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think it's good to develop the NFL on an international scale.It will never be like soccer or even basketball. But I think expanding it on a global scale will give more jobs for the NFL. Not only that, but it also will help expand the talent pool for the league. The more places we can develop talent the better. More international fans the better. That's good idea.
Mark from NM

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've heard discusion of planting teams in other countries,so the NFL can truly go global.
Theres been talk of moving the Buffalo Bills franchise to Toronto,Canada.
and there have been rumblings of an possible NFL team in Mexico at some point.

That being said,its going to cause a problem for the cities here in the U.S who want an NFL team.
Buffalo is going to want another team in the years to come,much like Cleveland did.
And then there is the ever present begging of L.A to get yet,another NFL team.
How do you go from having two teams,to none,has me still boggled.

The NFL has big asperations,and it should make for an interesting few decades to come.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Yes. I hate that they're sending our teams over to play in front of people who don't exhibit the passion that would normally be seen had these two teams played the game at either one of their home stadiums. The NFL is stealing a home game from one team's fans simply because they see dollar signs by going global.

I gain nothing by the NFL going global, and neither does any other fan. What ever BS explanation the NFL gives to justify taking away a home game from one team's fans isn't going to make the league better if it were to go global.

I wish they'd put as much effort in to fixing their flawed rules as they do trying to create a bigger market.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
How do you go from having two teams,to none,has me still boggled.

It's really more like three. Remember they were awarded the expansion franchise that is now the Houston Texans, but they couldn't come up with an organized and competent plan for a stadium, so it was taken away and given to Houston.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I hate it.

I realize they want to expand the game to a worldwide audience, and I think that playing a game or two overseas is the way to do that.

They need to fix the game here first though.

top topics

join