It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's almost time to vote...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well...

Here we are, a bit less than two weeks from the most important election since the Great Depression. Oddly enough, as with this go-'round, the economy is the major issue...ironic, huh?

There are many issues and races of great importance nation wide. Senate races, races for the House, and of course; the White House. The results of these races will effect not only the American electorate, but the world that will stand witness to our choices...so, no pressure, LOL.

I, personally, haven't decided who's fundament I want in the White House, or even the State House, Governor's Mansion, etc... I suspect that I'll go third party on many of the individual races, but that's ;neither here, nor there...my reasons for writing this are a bit more general...

Before you "X" that ballot, or press the lever, or tap the touchscreen, or (shudder) punch that chad...make an effort to be informed on your choices. Voting is a right of citizenship, and a duty, part and partial to that duty is being an informed voter prior to doing so. Our choices may be matter of life and death in many cases. War making decisions, health care, immigration, and a plethora of other issues are going to be decided by these people we're putting into office. Ballot measures, passed or not, will also effect some of those life and death decisions.

Remember that election during the Great Depression I mentioned earlier? Well that President lead us through some of the darkest days this nation has known...economic turmoil, a war such as I pray we never see again...

We have dark days ahead of us now. As dark as those my parents lived through during the Depression Era? Unlikely. They'll be dark enough though, and tumultuous to alongwith it. Be informed, it's important.

Something else...

When it's over, give the winner a chance before you start the poo slinging. He deserves that much, at least. The poor bastard hasn't a clue what he's let himself in for.

This is all predicated upon American's going to the polling place, or as with me, to the mail box. Call it what you will; duty, obligation, a right... Voting is all that and more besides. Think of all the men and women who fought for the right to vote. Names we know, such as Susan B. Anthony, and others who's names we'll never know...the civil rights workers in the south who worked to get the vote for African- americans, some of whom died in the doing. They died, went to jail, were beaten, yet they kept up the work.

Don't be less than they were, and are. Don't throw that duty and obligation away willingly.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I would say something...but they'd more then likely delete it.

join