It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealth Gap Creating a 'Social Time Bomb'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Wealth is gushing up in Britain, not trickling down

Britain is now one of the most unequal countries in the world. A recent report on boardroom pay reveals that the average salary of chief executives of the top FTSE 100 companies is now a staggering £46,154 a week.

Some 75,000 individuals now own almost half the liquid assets in Britain, and they are on average 66 per cent richer than they were five years ago.

Article's Here

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
I am 55 years old and as far back as I can remember I have heard, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer." But, I suppose there must be a threshold reached where people actually do something about it all.

No, not really. Think of all the inequality that's gone throughout history; whether it's serfdom or slavery. Think how long some societies actually perpetuated that kind of rule. Whilst their might be movement and revolt from those at the bottom of the pile, quite often it has to be articulated or given 'help' by dissenting voices amongst those higher-up the pile. An example is 'the slave trade': it wasn't the slaves themselves that actually abolished slavery.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I posted this before and didn't get any attention.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I want this current elite exposed for what they are, we need this planet to improve drastic and NOW!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I posted this before and didn't get any attention.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I want this current elite exposed for what they are, we need this planet to improve drastic and NOW!

I think that thread didn't get attention possibly because of when it was posted, not because of the actual subject matter. There's actually another thread posted with the same title here.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Despite the alleged 'inequality gap' ... those living in the West are amongst the top 8% of the world's population, according to 'reports'.

They say that if you have

* a place to sleep
* that's sheltered from the elements

* if you have running water
*electricity

* if you ate today --- at least once
*and expect to eat tomorrow

* if you have access to educational facilities
* if you have access to medical assistance

then you are amongst the lucky top 8%

Puts it in perspective, doesn't it ?

I mean, who here actually earned their right to be amongst that top 8% ?

Luck of the draw, wasn't it ?

So let's not weep and whine and 'compare' our 'plight' against the lives of privilege enjoyed by the miniscule wealthy. We're not in their league .. we never were. We're down at the wide base of the pyramid, with the rest of the 99% of the world's population.

And within that 99% (of the not-fabulously-wealthy-and-powerful) WE comprise the top 8%.

Right now, there are people in third world countries who're comparing the little THEY have, compared to the bounty we enjoy.

Gee, we're doing so well we can afford internet connection and the leisure to use it ! Beats walking five miles in bare feet across scorching rock with a plastic container on our heads, just so we can scrabble for some stinking, slimy water, doesn't it ?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6

Puts it in perspective, doesn't it ?

It's a fair point, however I'm not sure how healthy that attitude actually is. If I was one of the fantastically rich, one of the things I'd do to placate my own peons is point out how others have it far worse and in that sense, they're 'lucky'. Basically, it's 'shut-up and be grateful'.

Yes, people elsewhere do have it far, far worse but does that really make our own position any more palatable? The west has come a long a long way since the days of children working the mines that powered the Empire and the Industrial Revolution. However, one thing that has actually moved backwards is the idea that we've moved on in equality. The children in those mines probably had a more realistic view of the world than we do in that they knew it wasn't equal or right. Yet, the modern Western world is perpetually fed the impression or the idea that we're now all on an equal footing. Patently, that's not true at all.

Luck of the draw, wasn't it ?

Not really. Do honestly think that inequality is just "luck of the draw"? That none of it is orchestrated?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The super rich are trying to make themselves gods/superhuman. they become so untouchable they think they cannot bleed anymore. Eugenics is their philosophy. They are putting a wedge between the classes and hitting it with the biggest hammer they can think of. What i see in the future is very grim for the working class and poor (gated citys and a sub species of a working class) all created by them. The super rich bloodlines that have been around since the beggining of civilisation tricked us into thinking that they were gods once before! we cannot let that happen again.

Ambient Sound i certainly agree with you that the internet has caused them real concern and has put a huge spanner in their plans. 50 years ago no one had a clue to what was going on, and them that did had no way of getting the message across like we do today.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by kyred
I am 55 years old and as far back as I can remember I have heard, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer." But, I suppose there must be a threshold reached where people actually do something about it all.

No, not really. Think of all the inequality that's gone throughout history; whether it's serfdom or slavery. Think how long some societies actually perpetuated that kind of rule. Whilst their might be movement and revolt from those at the bottom of the pile, quite often it has to be articulated or given 'help' by dissenting voices amongst those higher-up the pile. An example is 'the slave trade': it wasn't the slaves themselves that actually abolished slavery.

Your exchange here made me think of this. It's a copy of an email I got in, believe it or not, 03. It was titled "The French Revolution Theorum"

"It reminds me of Reverend Thomas Malthus, the English social theorist, who had done research about civilizations from 3500 BC to the early 19th century. He pointed out that there had been revolutions in every society when the top 1% of that society began to control more than 50% of all the private wealth of that society and when the income spread in those society’s businesses and industries between the highest and lowest paid employees went above 263X.

When those two circumstances were reached, there was a revolution in every nation from 3500 BC on. This was called the French Revolution Theorem because those were the exact numbers reached prior to the French Revolution. It’s interesting to note that now in the United States, the top 1% of the nation controls 66.3% of all the private wealth and the spread between the highest paid employee and the lowest paid employee within the S&P 500 index of 500 leading corporations in the United States, the spread is now 299X."

What the hell is wrong with us???????????????

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl

Your exchange here made me think of this. It's a copy of an email I got in, believe it or not, 03. It was titled "The French Revolution Theorum"

"It reminds me of Reverend Thomas Malthus, the English social theorist, who had done research about civilizations from 3500 BC to the early 19th century. He pointed out that there had been revolutions in every society when the top 1% of that society began to control more than 50% of all the private wealth of that society and when the income spread in those society’s businesses and industries between the highest and lowest paid employees went above 263X.

When those two circumstances were reached, there was a revolution in every nation from 3500 BC on. This was called the French Revolution Theorem because those were the exact numbers reached prior to the French Revolution. It’s interesting to note that now in the United States, the top 1% of the nation controls 66.3% of all the private wealth and the spread between the highest paid employee and the lowest paid employee within the S&P 500 index of 500 leading corporations in the United States, the spread is now 299X."

What the hell is wrong with us???????????????

When I said "No, not really" in reply to the other poster, I didn't mean there was no threshold or tipping point at all, as ultimately there has been instances of reform and revolution. The point I was making is that rarely is the actual change brought about by the people actually in need of the change at the bottom of the pile.

As for things like the French revolution &c, I see it in a similar context to the American War of Independence in that I really can't see that happening (successfully) again as not only is there a financial gap to worry about, but also a massive technology gap between possible insurgents and the ruling elite. The right to bear arms - that insurance scheme to give the impression people have control - is no match to a modern day army or police. Two hundred years ago, there was little difference between a peasant with a sword or a musket against trained soldiers. Now, the difference between what what the average citizen carries and what the military is capable of is so enormous it's barely worth thinking about.

That email you mention makes good reading for the sake of comparison of the levels of # we're in though.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I got what you were saying. And yes SIGH I know you're absolutely right about the technology end of it. I was more pointing out that the idea that there's been an unequal distribution of wealth here in the "Land of the Free" (HAH) for quite some time now.

While I am a person of average means, both myself and my hubby work for the upper classes. He much more so than I. When I say to you that his clients live in palatial homes, I'm not exaggerating at all. Just the flooring on one of his recent jobs came in at 1.8 mil. JUST THE FLOOR!!!!

I'll just be happy with the new dinette set I ordered at RTG yesterday........

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
While I am a person of average means, both myself and my hubby work for the upper classes. He much more so than I. When I say to you that his clients live in palatial homes, I'm not exaggerating at all. Just the flooring on one of his recent jobs came in at 1.8 mil. JUST THE FLOOR!!!!

I'll just be happy with the new dinette set I ordered at RTG yesterday........

Yes, but that was probably their second choice. They're having to make sacrifices like everyone else at the moment. That 6ft gold statue of Mammon has been put on hold for 6 months: they're actually really hurting right now with the economy the way it is.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
They will change the internet soon and control it completely. It is time, while we have the chance to take these conversations off line as well. Discuss them with neighbors, friends and strangers. Everyone needs to help others wake up and smell the beans.

Just the other day, my neighbors having a camp fire going, and I was telling my neighbor about the serpo, some of the interviews on project camelot, basic disclosure items on the net. He had no idea about any of it. Now it is at least on his mind. spread the ideas around, right or wrong people need to know. More people need to start talking about these things directly to people and not behind the veil of a website avatar IMO.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
We are far from social unrest. In the late 1960's there was a hint of it , but it was soon quashed. When you see people in most cities gather in the streets in large numbers, then there will be a problem. However, it could happen in our lifetime.

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
"High levels of inequality can lead to negative social, economic and political consequences that have a destabilising effect on societies," said the report.

"....Inequality is not good for anybody"

Don't be fooled. This is another way of saying "From each, according to his ability, to each, according to his need".

Marxism at it's best.

What else would we expect from the United Nations?

Communism works. Yeah, right.
Just let the UN tell you how to live, and how much your own life is worth as a human being.

Produce more, after all there are people in Nairobi that need new homes and cars (need) before you can send your child to college (ability). Shame on you for achieving.

Btw, who was advocating a Global Tax? Hint: The Candidate of Change, BHO.

You will get the government you deserve!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
I've been saying this for years, and nobody listens... glad to have some expert types back me up on this!

Yes, no surprise. I do not understand how most people have not been aware of this for years. Either closed eyes or denial. I suspect that most people think they will make it before the bubble burst.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I know with all they (Media, Rockerfellers, elite etc) "SAY" the world seems pretty scary. "The way out" that they do not want you to find is hidden within the legal system. READ the law and what they "say" will no longer matter to you. Read the interpretations - what you read is not always what you think it is.
A really good place to start to get a handle on what I am saying is: www.detaxcanada.org.
The end result of course relies on each individual.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The problem is, these "expert types" are expert at the wrong things.

Things like making you feel guilty for achieving. Things like saying that because all men are created equal means that all men are entitled to an equal share of the world's productivity. And that means the UN can take from you and give to me, because you owe me. You don't need to produce anything, we will rely on the more able people to do that.

All you "need" is "need". I need, therefore, you must give me, because you are more able.

My "needs" are as valid as your "needs".

The UN will decide whose "need" is greater. They will determine that "need" based upon your lack of "ability".

A child in a hut "needs" a laptop. You, on the other hand, do not "need" an operation to repair your heart.

The child's father "needs" a garage to house his new car, which you will pay for. His mother "needs" a new jacuzzi to rejuvenate her tired limbs, worn out from bearing so many children.

Yeah, these "expert types" are just what the world "needs". Glad to see they are backing you up!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ambient Sound

If you're going to use quotes, please ascribe them to the correct author:

The real motivation behind the General Education Board, however, was perhaps best expressed in the Board's Occasional Letter No. 1, written by Gates:

In our dreams, we have limitless resources and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding bands. The present education conventions fade from their minds, and unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive rural folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning, or men of science. We have not to raise up from among them authors, editors, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have an ample supply.

www.sntp.net...

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You mean Ali Velshi is lying to me? Things aren't just 'rosy'? Wow, I had better start getting my news from someplace other than CNN.

I realize some of you will think I am being sarcastic, but I am actually trying to be ironic. Ironic that so many smart folks congregate here, yet we cannot seem to get the 'masses' to look away from the cable and network news.

Reality is about to step on America in a hard way.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

Like this...

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;